The End Of An Era: FinalGear.com's Main Site Retired, Forums Will Live On

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End Of An Era: FinalGear.com's Main Site Retired, Forums Will Live On

In July 2014, we received a DMCA take-down request for all Top Gear UK, US, and Australia torrents from FACT, a British trade organization representing the BBC. While I suspect that FACT acted on their own rather than at the request of the BBC, we still must honor their request to take down the content that we have been hosting for over 10 years now.

Rather than leaving the main site online without any Top Gear torrents, I have decided to just retire the main site and redirect traffic here to the forums. Fifth Gear is a great show but it isn't worth dedicating a whole website to. I also don't want to try to keep an episode directory going as it's a lot of work and Wikipedia does a much better job at it. For the countdown timers, I've added a link to the top of the forums.

It's a sad day and really an unfortunate end to the work that we have been doing in an effort to spread access to Top Gear television shows across the globe. Long before Top Gear was available here in the US, we were providing Americans (and others) access to this wonderful show. More recently we were providing access to the American spin-off of the show to British and worldwide audiences. I strongly believe that through the increased access to the show that we provided, more global fans were created and in turn have helped airings on local channels such as BBC America prosper.

The forums you are on right now will continue to stay online. A large community has developed around this site -- here on the forums, on our IRC channel, and even in real life through events like :

Thanks for a great 11 years and thanks to Quiky, PacketCollision, TechZ, Adunaphel, VUK, and everyone else who have helped me keep this site going over the years.

--Alex (Viper007Bond)
    Last edited by Viper007Bond; June 22nd, 2015, 3:15 AM.

• Handonam
    replied
    pardon the thread bump

but... do you think it's time to move on and point finalgear.com/ to somewhere else?

Leave a comment:

• d798
    replied
    Merry Christmas!

Leave a comment:

• Antoun78
    replied
    Great thx for Finalgear, helping me discover TG and FG )

Leave a comment:

• powah
    replied
    I'm a bit late to this, but I probably would not have been able to watch the show so much if Finalgear didn't exist. Big thanks to everyone involved for your work over the years
    Last edited by powah; September 30th, 2015, 2:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LoudPipe
    replied
    I gotta say, it's a great compliment to one measly web site to get threathened by the BBC, good job old boy. Here's to you, cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Viper007Bond
    replied
    Originally posted by S31Ender View Post
    New show new network going to change this outlook or is "what's done is done?"
    No plans to start doing torrents again. Back when this site started, it was next to impossible to get rips of Top Gear and that's no longer the case.

EZTV for example is a great TV torrents site, and there's many others too.

Leave a comment:

• S31Ender
    replied
    New show new network going to change this outlook or is "what's done is done?"

Leave a comment:

• tranceshakeel
    replied
    Viper you absolute Legend you!

Leave a comment:

• PaddyFancy
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain_Whine View Post
    So. We can record TV-show. We can watch it. But we can't share it via E-net, cause that'll make other users possible to skip commercial block.
    You're right you can record it, and watch it again afterwards, but you seem to forget its for personal use. All the DVDs and CDs that are sold are supposed to be for personal use. Its totally different to sharing it on the internet. Its a shame the main site is closed but no-one can say it wasn't inevitable.

Leave a comment:

• Bretterson
    replied
    Originally posted by Viper007Bond View Post
    If you visited the main site expecting torrents and then got dumped onto the homepage of the forums, you'd be very confused.
    Yes, definitely. This is the first time I've been on this site in months (just busy, I guess) and it's all news to me. It's quite a bummer, this was a great resource. Thanks for all of your effort over the years.

- Brett

Leave a comment:

• telkar
    replied
    It's such a shame that I just recently got broadband in my rural area and found this site, i wish i could have enjoyed it in its full glory. Have watched TG since it was available in the US via BBC America. Have some of the old episodes, but not many. Is quite a shame.

Leave a comment:

• Captain_Whine
    replied
    Fifty-rate lawyers... there's the whole bunch of thoose fellas in R.F. who have no contacts or legal rights to place any charges, but they do it just because you did something illegal.

Them stoolpigeons. Gentlemen of "i report you do bad sh**" family.

And the power of commercials... I mean, generally, it's forbidden to post anything TV-related, because only they got legal rights. But then again, people watch thoose shows absolutely for free on TV. But neeeeuw! You can't watch it on the E-net, cause only TV channel has legal right to broadcast, due to commercial contracts. Screentime, blablabla...

So. We can record TV-show. We can watch it. But we can't share it via E-net, cause that'll make other users possible to skip commercial block.

Are. They. REALLY? think somebody watches commercials unmute? are they really think commercial has profits, because it's illegal to share TV-rec-shows on E-net?

Are they really that stupid?

Seriously, theese are the people who think you can stop the flooding, by closing the river with big pile o rocks.

Leave a comment:

• Defcon
    replied
    Just saw this and I'm angry and sad at the same time. Content owners (although I'm sure BBC had nothing to do with this) need to realize sites like this are what made their shows popular, and once they become famous, they want to kill off the very site that did it?

Leave a comment:

• argatoga
    replied
    As someone who found these forums due to the main page I do feel we are losing something.

One good result of this however, is that Viper et co. won't be burdened by the effort of upkeep on the main site. I just hope it doesn't cause the forum to stagnate.

Leave a comment:

• RCS35
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Viper007Bond
    replied
    If you visited the main site expecting torrents and then got dumped onto the homepage of the forums, you'd be very confused.

Leave a comment:

• thomas
    replied
    forums.~ is a permanently opened tab in my chrome.. its also the first autocomplete when I type an "f" in the address bar.. I understand his point but yeah I think its not really neccessary..

Leave a comment:

• Viper007Bond
    replied
    Originally posted by Pwntje View Post
    When will the site go to just the forums directly? I'm pretty sure everyone has seen this post by now.
    Probably no time soon. If people want to visit the homepage of the forums, they can do so by visiting https://forums.finalgear.com/ rather than http://www.finalgear.com/

Leave a comment:

• Pwntje
    replied
    When will the site go to just the forums directly? I'm pretty sure everyone has seen this post by now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X