Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

$305? Fuck me. Looks like it's sold out. Oh well, makes that decision easy then. Might as well use the money to buy a new graphics card for when I get Wolfenstein.

$305? Fuck me. Looks like it's sold out. Oh well, makes that decision easy then. Might as well use the money to buy a new graphics card for when I get Wolfenstein.

Don't bother with Wolfenstein, it was a huge letdown!

Don't bother with Wolfenstein, it was a huge letdown!

the campaign game is ok, but the multi-player... bah... had more fun with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and that was a terrible mp game.

Wolfenstein sucks hugely.

Given the huge push for HD video in recent years, why has there been no corresponding push for HD audio? Why doesn't Apple sell music in 192 kHz AAC (or even ALAC) for a higher price? Seems it would be perfect for pushing ever higher storage capacities in their iPods. :think:

Wait. What? Apple just brought back the 160 gig ipod? (yay, cost saving one size only but that doesn't matter to me because I bought my 160 when they costed a bagillion dollars <_<) But mine is better* than the new models because it has longer battery life? Apple, wtf man, wtf.

*blah blah blah, new ones have genius, but I don't care because I don't use that genius crap because I actually know what sort of music I want to listen to and how to find new stuff on my own. I'm a big boy :nod:

Given the huge push for HD video in recent years, why has there been no corresponding push for HD audio? Why doesn't Apple sell music in 192 kHz AAC (or even ALAC) for a higher price? Seems it would be perfect for pushing ever higher storage capacities in their iPods. :think:

Because people are deaf, and can't hear the difference.

Also, what would be the point of 192kHz in a lossy format?

Because if they went with better audio formats, people would realize how bad all the music they're selling sounds.

Also, what would be the point of 192kHz in a lossy format?

I was thinking very high bitrates, like 1.5 Mbit, but since I saw AAC only supports 529k at the most, I added the ALAC part in.

Because if they went with better audio formats, people would realize how bad all the music they're selling sounds.

Your average sitcom or talk show doesn't need to be in HD either, but they're still broadcast that way. In any case, it doesn't actually have to sound better for people to pay more for it (they're gonna end up listening to them on the standard earbuds anyway), since most people will think 'it has a higher number and I paid more for it, so it must sound better!', and it'd be nice to have the option for music that would sound better in higher quality.

18.5" wide is actually slightly smaller than 17" standard. Get at least a 20" wide or don't bother, IMO.

18.5" wide is actually slightly smaller than 17" standard. Get at least a 20" wide or don't bother, IMO.

Yeah, and plus an 18.5" monitor has a max resolution that I would not call "common": 1366 x 768. :lol:

I could get the 20" version of the LG for $70 more, or I can get this 20" Samsung for $50 more.

Or, I can just wait until my current monitor dies and wait until those prices drop.

1366 x 768 is actually the native resolution of most HDTVs and many 16:9 laptops. Now try a 1024 x 600 netbook...

So, I'm watching episodes of "House Hunters" just because these people are hilarious. These people will walk into a home and without flinching will say "oh yeah, we'll be ripping up that hardwood floor and putting in tile" and then they'll put up a fuss about the paint colors. Freakin' idiots. Or they will walk into the kitchen that had brand new high-quality, new appliances, and complain that they don't look like stainless steel...and yet, you can get a stainless steel-looking fridge for $40 more than a white or black one. Or how they somehow need 4 acres for a purse-sized dog that will never leave a 10' radius around the back deck. And people really need to stop calling something like a marble fireplace or recessed lighting an "upgrade."

Last edited:
Hmm... I was just prompted to update my Vista from SP1 to SP2. Why now? Why not back in the summer when it was released?

Anyway, is it worth it to install it?