Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I want the japanese SNES classic in the worst way.

    Still, I'm going to try for a US market one, the SNES was the only game console I got as a kid. Although I only had like two games (grew up poor with my mom and grandma), I still loved it.
    "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

    Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

    "A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

    FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

    Comment


      Originally posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
      I want the japanese SNES classic in the worst way.

      Still, I'm going to try for a US market one, the SNES was the only game console I got as a kid. Although I only had like two games (grew up poor with my mom and grandma), I still loved it.
      We got our first Atari 2600 the same Christmas our next door neighbor got their SNES.
      There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

      Comment


        Originally posted by NecroJoe View Post
        We got our first Atari 2600 the same Christmas our next door neighbor got their SNES.
        "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

        Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

        "A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

        FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

        Comment


          Originally posted by Matt2000 View Post
          I'm not prepared to give AMD any of my money just yet, it would take a screw up from Intel for me to go back. Back in the days of the Athlon64 dual core I was a big fan, then it went down hill.

          I suppose this should be in the tech section now but I'm running 3840x2160, the CPU is automatically overclocking to 4GHz thanks to the board, not throttling and actually when I watch the numbers it isn't going above 50% usage. Maybe it's the engine that's at fault but I can't get a steady 60fps on max settings and that surprises me. Prey is similar, Forza Horizon 3 works great at 4k60 max settings.

          Was listening to a few friends talk about this very issue today. It seems you can get good fps when in single player, but only mediocre in multi. They also run 1080 TIs with more modern CPUs.
          "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

          We’ve gone from 'Hope and Change' to 'Hope and Change Your Story.' -Bill Maher

          Comment


            It seems that I missed out on a lot of the franchises people are super nostalgic for now, by choosing Genesis over SNES back in the day. On the plus side I still have my NES and Genesis, both still work and connect to my 65" LCD TV just fine, with full length controller cables

            Comment


              Nah, it's just that Sega has been more fast and loose with their IP for the past bunch of years. You've been able to get 3rd party-built mini Genesis consoles with games for years and years, and for cheaper. Not to mention, they've allowed their characters and software to end up EVERYWHERE...something Nintendo never did. If you wanted official Nintendo, you're comparing a leaky faucet to Sega's rain storm.

              And for the record in regards to the controller cables: a) the SNES will come with cords almost twice as long as the mini NES, and b) the console itself had buttons that you'd likely need to interact with while you're using the system way more than just power and reset. For example, pressing the reset button while you are playing saves your game before taking you to the home menu. A short controller cable isn't that big of a deal as long as you have a long HDMI cable.
              Last edited by NecroJoe; July 11th, 2017, 6:39 PM.
              There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

              Comment


                Daniel Craig reported to sign on for 'Bond 25' despite disdain for 007 franchise

                1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
                2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
                2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
                1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
                1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-



                Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Matt2000 View Post
                  Not with such a short time to go until Forza 7 comes out. However forgetting that it depends on what you want. You get some DLC cars with the deluxe edition and that's it. I always go for the ultimate editions because they come with extra cars and a discounted car pass that I know I would be buying anyway.

                  I'd say wait until Forza 7 is out if you can, buy that if you like it and if you don't the price of Forza 6 should've gone down due to the new release. I should say I hated the single player mode in 6, it forced you to complete races you didn't necessarily want to in order to progress.

                  ---

                  In other news I started with Star Citizen last night, I feel like now is the right time. Got myself the starter package with the Reliant Kore, I do fancy myself as a bit of a space truck driver so that feels right as a starter. Also the whole horizontal/vertical transformation thing is awesome. disappointed in the framerates with my 1080ti, I guess the i5 is letting it down.
                  Ah, ok. I was trying to figure out if there was anything exclusive in the Ultimate Edition.

                  - - - Updated - - -

                  Originally posted by thevictor390 View Post
                  It seems that I missed out on a lot of the franchises people are super nostalgic for now, by choosing Genesis over SNES back in the day. On the plus side I still have my NES and Genesis, both still work and connect to my 65" LCD TV just fine, with full length controller cables
                  Do you have any scaling or lag issues when they're connected to an LCD TV without an upscaler? I'm just wondering, since I have a CRT TV I use for retro games.

                  And don't feel bad about missing out on franchises, I didn't get into console gaming until the PS1; and even then I just bought car racing games. My tastes did broaden after I got my PS2, though.
                  Where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?

                  Comment


                    The power of money

                    Comment


                      I wonder if he had to yell "SHOW ME THE MONEY" at his agent...
                      "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

                      We’ve gone from 'Hope and Change' to 'Hope and Change Your Story.' -Bill Maher

                      Comment


                        This is half entertainment half technology mini-rant but this is why people fucking pirate shit. Since Game of Thrones premiere was last night and I wanted to watch it "live" and since HBO now offers an app that works on Roku and mobiles went ahead and got it. For one the Roku app has no subtitles (wtf?) for two the mobile app doesn't allow downloading. Meaning I couldn't watch it on the train on my way to work, so what is the point of paying for the sub then if I could pirate it for free and have subs AND offline?
                        ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                        Comment


                          That new Blade Runner trailer looks really good.
                          There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                            This is half entertainment half technology mini-rant but this is why people fucking pirate shit. Since Game of Thrones premiere was last night and I wanted to watch it "live" and since HBO now offers an app that works on Roku and mobiles went ahead and got it. For one the Roku app has no subtitles (wtf?) for two the mobile app doesn't allow downloading. Meaning I couldn't watch it on the train on my way to work, so what is the point of paying for the sub then if I could pirate it for free and have subs AND offline?
                            In a similar vein, I have HBO Canada. Of course, my subscription to it doesn't allow me to use the HBOGo application on mobile or Roku. There is a TMNGo app, but as soon as I'm outside of Canada it stops working, so totally useless on 95% of my business trips.

                            Edit: Just for fun, I just tried the app again on my phone, and this is the message I get after logging in:

                            TMN GO now offers the ability to download content to watch when offline. Unfortunatly your TV provider is not supporting this feature.

                            Please call your provider to ask for this feature.
                            Fuck cable companies, I should really cut the wire.
                            Last edited by RdKetchup; July 17th, 2017, 3:34 PM.
                            - Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by prizrak View Post
                              This is half entertainment half technology mini-rant but this is why people fucking pirate shit. Since Game of Thrones premiere was last night and I wanted to watch it "live" and since HBO now offers an app that works on Roku and mobiles went ahead and got it. For one the Roku app has no subtitles (wtf?) for two the mobile app doesn't allow downloading. Meaning I couldn't watch it on the train on my way to work, so what is the point of paying for the sub then if I could pirate it for free and have subs AND offline?

                              Several years ago, Kevin Pereira had a rant about almost the same thing. His argument is that the big media companies basically force people to pirate stuff by not having it available easily, at a reasonable price, in a decent quality, and in a form that is useable in the way the user wants to use it.
                              "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

                              We’ve gone from 'Hope and Change' to 'Hope and Change Your Story.' -Bill Maher

                              Comment


                                Didn't the HBO app crash in the premier, too?

                                edit: ahh, it crashed the website. Nevermind.
                                There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by GRtak View Post
                                  Several years ago, Kevin Pereira had a rant about almost the same thing. His argument is that the big media companies basically force people to pirate stuff by not having it available easily, at a reasonable price, in a decent quality, and in a form that is useable in the way the user wants to use it.
                                  Yep, it's like I can pirate pretty much anything I want and the only issue would be a bit of a delay (obviously have to wait for it to air) and watch it on any device I want at any schedule I want, not to mention with Plex and similar tools all of it can be 100% automated something I still can't do even with apps that do support offline playback.
                                  ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by ScarFace88 View Post

                                    Do you have any scaling or lag issues when they're connected to an LCD TV without an upscaler? I'm just wondering, since I have a CRT TV I use for retro games.

                                    And don't feel bad about missing out on franchises, I didn't get into console gaming until the PS1; and even then I just bought car racing games. My tastes did broaden after I got my PS2, though.
                                    A hardcore classic gamer might notice input lag but I don't, I mean it would be the same for modern games wouldn't it? The TV has a "game mode" that I haven't felt the need to use. I'm not totally oblivious, I have used a friend's TV once with my PS3 that was nearly unplayable without putting it into game mode. So this seems to vary by TV.

                                    Lack of overscan does mean you sometimes see a bit more than the developers intended, particularly on the NES where it doesn't always draw properly at the very edge of the screen. Emulators have the same issue. I always use letterboxing for classic games and media, can't stand the "stretch."

                                    Comment


                                      The edges of the screen on the NES always happened to me on the console + CRT, too. It's not an emulation thing.
                                      Last edited by NecroJoe; July 25th, 2017, 2:23 PM.
                                      There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

                                      Comment




                                        Comment


                                          I started my YT career!




                                          thoughts on the first video?
                                          Motives Of transport:

                                          Audi A7
                                          Ford fiesta Sportsvan
                                          Honda NM4


                                          Ds3 laptimes: Nordschleife 10:20,xx Ahvenisto: 1:50,72
                                          Join to the BCFHAS

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X