Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

^Nah. It's over. Now that's everything's been solved, the show wouldn't be the same.

Anyways: what genius thought that Junior Apprentice was a good idea?

^Nah. It's over. Now that's everything's been solved, the show wouldn't be the same.

Anyways: what genius thought that Junior Apprentice was a good idea?

Well then, the beauty of television is that I can rewind the episode to just before she realises she's dead and take off on my own tangent and give her the corny ending, but to have produced a show with a story line and characters good enough to make me want to do this is a sign that they've done it right.

Former Nintendo President Yamauchi Builds $83 Million Cancer Hospital
By Ryan Winterhalter, 05/20/2010

A new cancer treatment center in Kyoto opened its doors on May 18 thanks to former Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi, who contributed nearly all of the 7.5 billion yen (about $83 million) used to build the 101 foot structure, which required special dispensation from the city to avoid violating building height regulations.

The eight floor, 82,000 square foot facility will have radiation oncology, internal medicine oncology, respiratory surgery, gastrointestinal surgery, and urology departments. Patients will begin treatment at the center at the end of this month.

Yamauchi was the president of Nintendo for over 50 years and oversaw the company during its transformation from struggling toy maker to entertainment giant during the NES and SNES years.

Last edited:
However, while the ending was good from a writing perspective. I didn't like how things turned out (trying very hard not to spoil it for anyone), it was too closed to allow interpretation but too vague to give any sense of closure. Though that clip at the very end suggests it may not be quite finished yet.

Hmm, I disagree with you there. Fair enough that you didn't like the ending (that's opinion - I loved it), but I reckon there was plenty enough closure and resolving done. Yes it was too closed to allow interpretation, but I think all that people wanted was an answer to the big question; and we certainly got an answer to that in a kind of unexpected way... And I don't hink it was too vague to give any sense of closure - I would say that trying to answer every little question wastes time and dilutes the emotion. I feel that the whole story behind LoM and AtA has come well and truly to a close. The guys have gone off to the pub, Gene will contnue his role, and both worlds continue to be renewed, but now since we know how it ends, there's no point in trying to come up with something different.
That hints at why I sort of liked the American Life on Mars' ending. Yes it was shockingly bad, and shite in every way, but it dared to be different (albeit 'different' and 'daring' to a US audience who go WOW at an all too literal interpretation) and I like that. It copied the show from the UK, but came up with its own ending.

And as for the final clip, I don't think that has any specific meaning and that the 'see you next week' part was simply part of the clip they used. It was just a random ending IMO.

And Paperbiro: I know. I watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode, and could not watch any more. Arrogant little buggers.

Any other zombie movies similar to Zombieland? Or good ones at least.

"Fido" is not in the same catagory of zombie movie, but it is pretty good.

Hmm, I disagree with you there. Fair enough that you didn't like the ending (that's opinion - I loved it), but I reckon there was plenty enough closure and resolving done. Yes it was too closed to allow interpretation, but I think all that people wanted was an answer to the big question; and we certainly got an answer to that in a kind of unexpected way... And I don't hink it was too vague to give any sense of closure - I would say that trying to answer every little question wastes time and dilutes the emotion. I feel that the whole story behind LoM and AtA has come well and truly to a close. The guys have gone off to the pub, Gene will contnue his role, and both worlds continue to be renewed, but now since we know how it ends, there's no point in trying to come up with something different.
That hints at why I sort of liked the American Life on Mars' ending. Yes it was shockingly bad, and shite in every way, but it dared to be different (albeit 'different' and 'daring' to a US audience who go WOW at an all too literal interpretation) and I like that. It copied the show from the UK, but came up with its own ending.

Crazy dream, I actually dreamt I was Alex Drake last night, only my mind re scripted the ending so somehow this guy was the key to her getting home and then somehow I knew the ending but yet I was like "screw this bitch I'm going to win" and took out a revolver and there was this massive firefight then eventually as I shot him (I think) I felt myself getting shot and then eventually I "died" in the dream (multiple bullet wounds in the chest!) then I woke up (in the dream) and it was as if I was watching the show again there was a preview with Keats and then it went on to the next ep and Alex was having these flashes of reality, she appeared to be back in the 1983 but every time she turned partly around it flashed to 2010 and then when she turned fully around it flashed back to 1983. Then it flashed fully to 2010 somehow Gene pulls up in an current gen dark blue Audi S4, Alex gets in and the dream ends.

Last edited:
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/05/everyone-on-tv-reads.html

Everyone on TV reads the same newspaper

Everybody on TV and in movies reads the same newspaper, it seems. And they've been reading that standard newspaper prop for decades. At a guess: paranoid studio lawyers don't want to use real newspapers because they think that they might get a copyright complaint from the paper (despite this incidental use being clearly fair use), so they insist that set-dressers all use the same prop that's fully rights-cleared.

Katus Crossoverek (?js?g) (via Waxy)

The weblink above shows a pic of Al Bundy and some other guy reading the same paper. the shows appear to be at least a decade apart, yet have the same pic clearly visible. Hollywood is weird.

the first appearance of the concept of Captain America has now appeared.
500x_captain_america.jpg

We're still more than a year away from the big screen adaptation of Captain America, but today we get our first look at how the first Avenger will look on celluloid and, eventually, in the Sega-published video game.
Ain't It Cool News gives us our first glimpse at Steve Rogers in full Cap gear, a conceptual costume design that doesn't stray too far from the Ultimates version of the character, for better than worse. Chris Evans, better known as the Human Torch from Marvel's Fantastic Four movies, will be donning the stars, stripes and vibranium shield for the 2011 film, battling the Red Skull (Hugo Weaving) and Arnim Zola (Toby Jones) for patriotic purposes.
It's been more than three years since Sega signed on to create games based on Captain America, Thor and the Hulk, during which time two middling Iron Man games and a so-so version of The Incredible Hulk were released. Let's hope Sega, which has undergone some unfortunate changes since then, will be able to do justice to Mr. America here.
Captain America: The First Avenger is slated for a release in July 2011.
original article: http://kotaku.com/5553916/first-look-at-the-new-captain-america

the mere idea that they're going to be basing the Avengers movie on the Ultimates comic book is enough to get my inner comic nerd screaming like a girl. this is starting to look really good.

just saw this on BBC News

While neither of them come across really well here, Corden just proves just how much of a irritating bastard he really is. I've never been a big fan of his work and frankly he doesn't deserve to be on the same stage as someone like Sir Patrick Stewart.

Last edited:
^ If you can not laugh at this; there must be something wrong with you.

Does anyone else get motion sickness/nausea when playing First Person Shooter games? I've been playing Half Life 2 and Call of Duty four and I can't play more than 20 mins or I get really sick. It was fine with Mirror's Edge (unless I stopped moving for a while) and I'm fine with racing games or third person and I never had this problem before.

Does anyone else get motion sickness/nausea when playing First Person Shooter games? I've been playing Half Life 2 and Call of Duty four and I can't play more than 20 mins or I get really sick. It was fine with Mirror's Edge (unless I stopped moving for a while) and I'm fine with racing games or third person and I never had this problem before.

that's strange :? i've never heard of something like that before...

I had motion sickness issues with "Rise of the Triad", but i never had problems with any other game...

I don't think that is motion sickness(I could be wrong). I think you are one of those peeps that has trouble with flashes of light. You may need to go see your doctor. I have a friend that can not drive at night because of this.