Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

I want the japanese SNES classic in the worst way.

Still, I'm going to try for a US market one, the SNES was the only game console I got as a kid. Although I only had like two games (grew up poor with my mom and grandma), I still loved it.

I want the japanese SNES classic in the worst way.

Still, I'm going to try for a US market one, the SNES was the only game console I got as a kid. Although I only had like two games (grew up poor with my mom and grandma), I still loved it.

We got our first Atari 2600 the same Christmas our next door neighbor got their SNES. :lol:

I'm not prepared to give AMD any of my money just yet, it would take a screw up from Intel for me to go back. Back in the days of the Athlon64 dual core I was a big fan, then it went down hill.

I suppose this should be in the tech section now but I'm running 3840x2160, the CPU is automatically overclocking to 4GHz thanks to the board, not throttling and actually when I watch the numbers it isn't going above 50% usage. Maybe it's the engine that's at fault but I can't get a steady 60fps on max settings and that surprises me. Prey is similar, Forza Horizon 3 works great at 4k60 max settings.

Was listening to a few friends talk about this very issue today. It seems you can get good fps when in single player, but only mediocre in multi. They also run 1080 TIs with more modern CPUs.

It seems that I missed out on a lot of the franchises people are super nostalgic for now, by choosing Genesis over SNES back in the day. On the plus side I still have my NES and Genesis, both still work and connect to my 65" LCD TV just fine, with full length controller cables :p

Nah, it's just that Sega has been more fast and loose with their IP for the past bunch of years. You've been able to get 3rd party-built mini Genesis consoles with games for years and years, and for cheaper. Not to mention, they've allowed their characters and software to end up EVERYWHERE...something Nintendo never did. If you wanted official Nintendo, you're comparing a leaky faucet to Sega's rain storm.

And for the record in regards to the controller cables: a) the SNES will come with cords almost twice as long as the mini NES, and b) the console itself had buttons that you'd likely need to interact with while you're using the system way more than just power and reset. For example, pressing the reset button while you are playing saves your game before taking you to the home menu. A short controller cable isn't that big of a deal as long as you have a long HDMI cable. :)

Last edited:
Not with such a short time to go until Forza 7 comes out. However forgetting that it depends on what you want. You get some DLC cars with the deluxe edition and that's it. I always go for the ultimate editions because they come with extra cars and a discounted car pass that I know I would be buying anyway.

I'd say wait until Forza 7 is out if you can, buy that if you like it and if you don't the price of Forza 6 should've gone down due to the new release. I should say I hated the single player mode in 6, it forced you to complete races you didn't necessarily want to in order to progress.

---

In other news I started with Star Citizen last night, I feel like now is the right time. Got myself the starter package with the Reliant Kore, I do fancy myself as a bit of a space truck driver so that feels right as a starter. Also the whole horizontal/vertical transformation thing is awesome. disappointed in the framerates with my 1080ti, I guess the i5 is letting it down.

Ah, ok. I was trying to figure out if there was anything exclusive in the Ultimate Edition.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems that I missed out on a lot of the franchises people are super nostalgic for now, by choosing Genesis over SNES back in the day. On the plus side I still have my NES and Genesis, both still work and connect to my 65" LCD TV just fine, with full length controller cables :p

Do you have any scaling or lag issues when they're connected to an LCD TV without an upscaler? I'm just wondering, since I have a CRT TV I use for retro games.

And don't feel bad about missing out on franchises, I didn't get into console gaming until the PS1; and even then I just bought car racing games. My tastes did broaden after I got my PS2, though.

I wonder if he had to yell "SHOW ME THE MONEY" at his agent...

This is half entertainment half technology mini-rant but this is why people fucking pirate shit. Since Game of Thrones premiere was last night and I wanted to watch it "live" and since HBO now offers an app that works on Roku and mobiles went ahead and got it. For one the Roku app has no subtitles (wtf?) for two the mobile app doesn't allow downloading. Meaning I couldn't watch it on the train on my way to work, so what is the point of paying for the sub then if I could pirate it for free and have subs AND offline?

That new Blade Runner trailer looks really good.

This is half entertainment half technology mini-rant but this is why people fucking pirate shit. Since Game of Thrones premiere was last night and I wanted to watch it "live" and since HBO now offers an app that works on Roku and mobiles went ahead and got it. For one the Roku app has no subtitles (wtf?) for two the mobile app doesn't allow downloading. Meaning I couldn't watch it on the train on my way to work, so what is the point of paying for the sub then if I could pirate it for free and have subs AND offline?

In a similar vein, I have HBO Canada. Of course, my subscription to it doesn't allow me to use the HBOGo application on mobile or Roku. There is a TMNGo app, but as soon as I'm outside of Canada it stops working, so totally useless on 95% of my business trips.

Edit: Just for fun, I just tried the app again on my phone, and this is the message I get after logging in:

TMN GO now offers the ability to download content to watch when offline. Unfortunatly your TV provider is not supporting this feature.

Please call your provider to ask for this feature.

Fuck cable companies, I should really cut the wire.

Last edited:

Several years ago, Kevin Pereira had a rant about almost the same thing. His argument is that the big media companies basically force people to pirate stuff by not having it available easily, at a reasonable price, in a decent quality, and in a form that is useable in the way the user wants to use it.

Didn't the HBO app crash in the premier, too?

edit: ahh, it crashed the website. Nevermind.

Several years ago, Kevin Pereira had a rant about almost the same thing. His argument is that the big media companies basically force people to pirate stuff by not having it available easily, at a reasonable price, in a decent quality, and in a form that is useable in the way the user wants to use it.

Yep, it's like I can pirate pretty much anything I want and the only issue would be a bit of a delay (obviously have to wait for it to air) and watch it on any device I want at any schedule I want, not to mention with Plex and similar tools all of it can be 100% automated something I still can't do even with apps that do support offline playback.

Do you have any scaling or lag issues when they're connected to an LCD TV without an upscaler? I'm just wondering, since I have a CRT TV I use for retro games.

And don't feel bad about missing out on franchises, I didn't get into console gaming until the PS1; and even then I just bought car racing games. My tastes did broaden after I got my PS2, though.

A hardcore classic gamer might notice input lag but I don't, I mean it would be the same for modern games wouldn't it? The TV has a "game mode" that I haven't felt the need to use. I'm not totally oblivious, I have used a friend's TV once with my PS3 that was nearly unplayable without putting it into game mode. So this seems to vary by TV.

Lack of overscan does mean you sometimes see a bit more than the developers intended, particularly on the NES where it doesn't always draw properly at the very edge of the screen. Emulators have the same issue. I always use letterboxing for classic games and media, can't stand the "stretch."

The edges of the screen on the NES always happened to me on the console + CRT, too. It's not an emulation thing. :)

Last edited:
I started my YT career!

thoughts on the first video? :lol: