Doctor Who

My theory for their departure
the Angels are like the ones in blink, they take people and drop them off in different points in time. My guess is that the Angels grab Rory and Amy and deposit them in some time period. The doctor has no way of knowing where they have been taken to. It effectively writes the Ponds out of the series but leaves it possible for the Doctor to find them again for the 50th anniversary (should Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill sign up for the special).

After all the clumsy and ham-fisted "OMG THEY ARE GOING TO DIE" foreshadowing in the last episodes the only way Moff could get out of this without coming across like a bit of a hack is to simply drop them off at home for a tearful goodbye.

After all the clumsy and ham-fisted "OMG THEY ARE GOING TO DIE" foreshadowing in the last episodes the only way Moff could get out of this without coming across like a bit of a hack is to simply drop them off at home for a tearful goodbye.

In the Moff I trust.

Moff, I am disappoint.

There are a few plot holes, but I'll forgive them. What I can't forgive is how little they made of the Film Noir setting. I mean, River as hard-boiled private eye has so much potential. And then, the 1930s, Art Deco, ballrooms, speakeasys, gangsters, all that potential they did not use...

Last edited:
Yep, but you even defended the cold-blooded murder at the end of "Dinosaurs..."

It had to happen, if there's been any theme to Doctor Who and the characters greatest flaw is that he shouldn't be alone. What happened at the end of "Dinosaurs..." Is the extreme answer to that reason.

As for 7x05
glad to see my theory was spot on, it allows Amy and Rory to come back for a brief appearance in some point. The characters exited the show in a good way and I found it to be a better departure than Billies in "Doomsday"
Good episode, now to wait for the Christmas special and the arrival of Jenna

tumblr_mas1tx5CY91r6o0g0.gif

:cry:

And normally I'm a cold, heartless bastard.

Until now, I hadn't exactly how attached I'd gotten to the Ponds over the past 3 years. I knew I liked the Ponds, and I knew I'd miss them once they're gone... but that hurt hard.

Steven Moffat, right now I don't even have the heart to call you an evil bastard anymore.

I will, however, thank you for including that ending with little Amelia. That was a sweet gesture.

Last edited:
Moff, I am disappoint.

There are a few plot holes, but I'll forgive them. What I can't forgive is how little they made of the Film Noir setting. I mean, River as hard-boiled private eye has so much potential. And then, the 1930s, Art Deco, ballrooms, speakeasys, gangsters, all that potential they did not use...

To do anything like that would have bogged the story down and made it overly long. Much like last weeks episode wasn't about an invasion but the characters. This weeks was purely about the Ponds.

I did think the introduction was the best teaser that's been on Doctor Who for a long time.

my only complaint was that they didn't use the weeping angel of liberty enough

To do anything like that would have bogged the story down and made it overly long. Much like last weeks episode wasn't about an invasion but the characters. This weeks was purely about the Ponds.

Then don't waste such a brilliant scenario on an episode that could be set anywhere, anyplace.

EDIT: And don't waste a great villain like the Angels, as well.

Last edited:
Then don't waste such a brilliant scenario on an episode that could be set anywhere, anyplace.

EDIT: And don't waste a great villain like the Angels, as well.

If you're going to write a swansong, you might as well do it in as much style as possible.

Anyhow, I don't think the film-noir nor the angels were wasted by any means. Both were brilliant in so many ways, but like jedd said, this episode isn't about them.

I can't remember the last time a work of fiction has left me this emotionally drained. I've only just calmed down enough to feel it to be appropriate to clinically dissect this thing like the rest of you are doing.

I only started watching DW around the time of Tennant's last episodes. (what? I'm only 3 years old, cut me some slack) Even though I had seen about 90% of RTD's episodes by the time Series 5 started, Amy & Rory were still the first companions I followed week by week. I had no idea losing them would feel like this much of a downer.

Final thoughts: I think this episode is going to become a Doomsday-style classic.

Final final thoughts: Goodbye Amy & Rory. :(

Last edited:
I think it was a good episode. I wouldn't call it a great one, but thats probably affected by the fact that there won't be any Ponds around next time the doctor is on TV. I really liked the ending bit Biro mentioned :).

Things that annoy me; when you read a Facebook status that has no context in it, but you know exactly what its about.

I'll be watching the ep tomorrow. :(

That was epic. A definite 10 out of 10 for me.

And yeah, I cried at the ending.

PS...not much of a spoiler but...I want a baby angel:p

Moff, I am disappoint.

Agreed. And since it was effectively a time bubble created by the Angels why not shot all the parts form there in monochrome? Would have made the Angels much scarier for a start.

Personally I'm not sad to see the back of Amy and Rory, especially since they introduced his Dad (although I like Mark Williams this was too much like Donna and her Grandad, a period I loathed) and I agree that two companions gives that "third wheel" issue. The whole thing never really gelled for me, that idea that the only thing standing between the Doctor and Amy was the fact that she is married to Rory. It managed simultaneously to be twee and creepy.

If the first episode of this run gives an accurate indication of what JLC's character is going to be like then hopefully it will give them a chance to shift the direction with a more feisty and less doe-eyed companion.

9/12, great episode. It was as good as Blink.
This was the best way to
farewell Rory and Amy. It was genuinely sad, and even more of the sadness was given by the afterword written by Amy, where she mentions best of the adventures with Doctor. This was the only "farewell" episode when I felt sad, genuinely sad, unlike the rather boring farewell to Rose in Doomsday. And that's because how brillliantly was it done.

However, I'm excited for Jenna-Louise Coleman. I hope she will not be as deep character with all her family and stuff as the Ponds, because for that reason Martha was great.