James Cameron's - Avatar 2D vs. 3D

James Cameron's - Avatar 2D vs. 3D

• Total voters
The theater I plan on seeing it has it in Imax 3D or Digital 3D. I'm gonna go for the Digital 3D.

dubbing movies is one of the great evils of this age.

It's like choosing between being losing a leg or an arm for you :)

It depends a lot on the accuracy... I must say generally the German dubs are really well made compared to others I've seen.

And.. yah.. you'll hardly find a cinema that plays the original version of the movie. I'm only lucky because there is a US Airbase a few kilometers away...

I saw it in Digital 3D yesterday and was literally blown away. It is not really the fights that make the 3D count, it's the nature animations. It literally feels as if you were in that forest, and it's animated to such a high grade of perfection, i have never ever seen anything like it. Even if you say the story might be cheesy, but the animations and whole enviroment clearly make this one of the best movies I have ever seen. When at night all the flowers and animals start glowing, god dammit, that was perfection. Actually, that was the first movie I came out of and was sad I couldn't immediately watch it again. And again. This is how much I liked it :)

TL;DR:

For your own sake, if you can, WATCH IT IN 3D!

^this might be the first movie ever I'll go see twice in the cinema indeed :)
I mean, people would pay money just to sit all day in the cinema watching at footage from pandora :)

I saw it in 3D. And looking back on it, the movie's first 15 minutes were spellbinding, but 2 hours in you get used to it. Which is perfect, because that's how seamlessly the movie blended its 3D graphics, which in itself is an achievement. Isn't that what the future is about? Dazzling technology that makes perfect sense to the extent that its users become accustomed to it?

What's the difference between IMAX 3-D and normal 3-D? IMAX has a bigger screen?

Here are the time listing at my local IMAX theater:

k9i82q.jpg

The first set of times are normal 2D, second set are normal 3D (same screen size as 2D?), and third are IMAX 3D.

Also, here are the price differences:

oshoc4.jpg

There is no price listing for 3D, so should I assume they're the same as their normal counterparts?

How is it in your local theaters?

Last edited:
Digital 3D was pretty awesome. I don't know how the Imax would have been, but I'm glad I didn't see it in 2D.

Maybe I shouldn't even call it 3D, because it was nothing like 3D is known to be. It felt so real, I was blown away. By far the best special effects I have even seen....and definitely the future of film making.

As far as the story goes...

I thought it was good, not great. I think the movie was more about the effects than story, unfortunately.

just come back from seeing it a second time, and it was just as mindblowing as the first time. Cameron really has made an incredible world. hope a 3D standard format has been set for when the Blu-Ray comes out.

Yeah this was absolutely astounding to watch. I saw it about 8 hours ago and I'm still on a mild adrenaline buzz. The plot was Dances With Wolves With Aliens, but the visuals were just so far beyond anything I'd ever seen before that I couldn't help but to be blown away. The best analogy I can think of is this: remember when you saw Matrix: Reloaded for the first time and were kind of stunned at the unlimited number of Agent Smiths in that fight scene? The whole movie here is like that.

back from my 3rd trip to Pandora, this time it was in 2D, and i was suprised that it is still great to watch in 2D. its not as immersive as 3D, but it doesnt look any less spectacular. Cameron really has done something incredible with this film, and what a beautiful and rich world he has created

Saw it 3d. Pretty crazy....movie was decent. Got a very strong Last of the Samurai vibe..

IMDB rates Avatar at 8.9/10 which brings it to #21 of the best movies ever on there...
i struggle to see it at that place.

i admit, i've only seen it in 2D (because 3D was booked solid until next year or whatever). i will also admit that the 2D pictures would be very impressive with a decent 3D effect, i'd actually like to watch it again in 3D. but still... a movie can not turn out to be an 8.9/10 simply from being so impressive to watch, can it?

don't get me wrong, i liked the movie a lot and 3D (would) make(s) it all the more impressive... but still. 21st best film ever? would you all agree with that?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/
(interestingly in the top250 chart it's rated as 8.7... some IMDB vote-logic behind that somewhere... but oh well, who cares)

Last edited:
IMDB rates Avatar at 8.9/10 which brings it to #21 of the best movies ever on there...
i struggle to see it at that place.

i admit, i've only seen it in 2D (because 3D was booked solid until next year or whatever). i will also admit that the 2D pictures would be very impressive with a decent 3D effect, i'd actually like to watch it again in 3D. but still... a movie can not turn out to be an 8.9/10 simply from being so impressive to watch, can it?

don't get me wrong, i liked the movie a lot and 3D (would) make(s) it all the more impressive... but still. 21st best film ever? would you all agree with that?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/
(interestingly in the top250 chart it's rated as 8.7... some IMDB vote-logic behind that somewhere... but oh well, who cares)

I agree. The story was nothing significant. The visuals held this movie up, little else.

I know this is a bit pedantic...but naturally occurring carbon fiber bones? WTF is that?

Last edited:
I've seen it yesterday in 3D, and it's superb!

Everyone keep banging on about the visuals, which really were fantastic, but I think it was a good film in its own right as well. Maybe not fantasticly deep, thought provoking with a revolutionary story that would shake the foundations of society... but immensly entertaining throughout the whole running time. Which is quite rare in itself, I feel.

I also thought it was a nice touch that the whole military operation and equipment resembled the Marines from Aliens, Sigourney Weaver played a role in the film, and at one point Cameron even used a piece of music from Aliens (or at least something very similar). :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I know this is a bit pedantic...but naturally occurring carbon fiber bones? WTF is that?

Yeah that was hilarious. What's next? A crazy skin that grows together after a cut? Some insane optical instrument with variable focus and color sight? Or why not some luducrously complex blueprint storage system in some weirdass helical structure?