The guitar thread

The guitar thread

• Total voters
My vote goes to Clapton, though if you have Jimmy Page up there you gotta have Ritchie Blackmore, am I wrong? :p

In my lifetime, I've played the guitar for about 12 years, drums for nearly 8 and bass for a while too (I had to, I listened to Primus duhh).... mainly metal/punk/hardcore fusion thingies. :evil:

Lately I've ditched the instruments and taken up drum&bass/breaks production to some degree of success :thumbsup: For all you doubters out there, I gotta say that making good electronic music is a lot harder than playing in a band lol

patrick10, humbucker on a Telecaster :bangin: :lol:

Well, I had 2 bands now, but no one seems to play my style of music. Everybody wants to play punk shit (sorry who likes it :p ) :thumbsdown: . No one is entertained of making something new, something radical like Dick Dale, Tom Morello (I think he is the most radical of all, hi is my ideal guitarplayer) and Jimi Hendrix did.

Best classic rock guitarist? Hendrix, certainly.

ske said:
Lately I've ditched the instruments and taken up drum&bass/breaks production to some degree of success......making good electronic music is a lot harder than playing in a band lol

Well, it depends what you play :p

D&B can be realy good,when its made with real instruments. Here in hungary there is a band like that, and its one of my favorites. I like d&b, funky, jazz, underground music. And this band can cross these style-s in one. Its very cool music :thumbsup: .

Ske, do you have any of your own music in mp3? I would be interrested :roll:

Re: The guitar thread

bigfoot1942 said:
that thing would be rather expensive wouldnt it?
im looking for 600 usd with the cabinent. with the money i am buying a set of drums
mancs said:
patrick10, humbucker on a Telecaster :bangin: :lol:
you would be suprised at how good it actually sounds. together with the single coil it makes a perfect clean tone the switch to just the humbucker and you get a rich overdrive tone. i have gotten a lot of comments about how it sounds

bigfoot1942 said:
NICE...

but i would put the bass up for 1 or 2 dB, guitar 2 or 3 dB and definately the basedrum (which i cant hear at all) and the snare and other drums with 3 or 4 dB up cuz they sound pretty soft as well...

it feels a little bit too soft-style to me (im more into rock but hey i like keane as well so its allright), but im curious what the song would sound like if it was mastered different... i think it would have more body, more rythm. If you have recorded it multitrack remastering would be pretty easy...

Well :)
We did record it on a Zoom digital 8 track. Very nice machine. (? 1200) But we didn't have a drum mic set. We did it with only two mikes. (a Sennheiser in front of the basdrum and a Sure sm57 above the drums) that's why the drums sound so dull.

I don't know much about mixing and so, although the recorder is mine :)
It's a fact that it sounds too quiet. I found it difficult to correct.

jensked said:
Well :)
We did record it on a Zoom digital 8 track. Very nice machine. (? 1200) But we didn't have a drum mic set. We did it with only two mikes. (a Sennheiser in front of the basdrum and a Sure sm57 above the drums) that's why the drums sound so dull.

I don't know much about mixing and so, although the recorder is mine :)
It's a fact that it sounds too quiet. I found it difficult to correct.

You could try dumping the tracks to your PC and add some compression and EQ there. There are loads of free (and 'free') plugins and even audio sequencers that can do wonders to a mixdown. Compression (especially multi-band) can really do it, even when the drums are on 2 tracks only. :)

Edit: some tips that may or may not work:
Drums should be louder, and maybe run though an expander (reverse compressor) to clean up the rumbling. Some EQ to make it a little brighter and make the kick punch more as well, possibly.
Bass should also be louder, and possibly compressed (hard to hear it).
Remove some low end from the vox to get rid of rumble, and compress to even out the levels a little.
Maybe use EQs to separate the other instruments a little from eachother.

I think the recordings can be pretty tidy with some mixing.

:)

Patric, I love the telecasters crispy sound with the single coil :p But I never tried what you sad, so it could work fine :thumbsup:

A Fender Strat is all I need ;-)

The drummer of my band just bought a new Yamaha Maple Custom...

for those who don't know much about drums, the Yamaha Maple Custom is a VERY good drum. Steve Gadd (most influential drummer of all time, clapton, paul simon,...) drums on the very same drum...I can't wait to hear it.

www.drummerworld is the place to be for info about drummers. Check John Bonham, Steve Gadd and Buddy Rich (supergreat solo against THe Muppets)...many videos

Buddy rich, Mike portnoy two on my favorite drummers :thumbsup:

Favorite bassers: The buddha, VIctor Wooten :thumbsup:

Of course, I have several DVD's by SRV...he's the man. I especially like his organ-player: Reese Wynans.

He's the best, but he looks like he's been hit by a truck on some DVD's ;-)

But I do think SRV is most of the time the same. When you have seen one DVD, you've seen all his DVD's.

By the way, you have to check out his MTV Unplugged record. A couple of songs, very hard to find, but it really is worth the search. He plays all the songs on his own. Almost as good as the Clapton MTV Unplugged set.

jensked said:
Ooow that's ugly.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but as far as guitars/amps/accessories are concerned, I think guitarists are pretty conservative.

You're sure?!?

129507f.jpg

That one I found when googling for Kiss guitar.
They're a rock band, right? And I've seen a lot of angular guitars, throughout the years. And I really like that case. :mrgreen:

I've got an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe...plays like an electric. The neck is super-slim.
A bit of a bump here, but its a worthy cause..:p

I am forever looking for a guitar, I have more or less found my realistic dream electric guitar, the Fender Highway One Stratocaster, but I have decided that it is best to start with a acustic/electro acustic.

Jensked; I know i asked you in the "Fun starter Guitar and Amp?" thread but I have a few more questions;)

I have raised the budget and had a look at your make, Ovation. Do you have a picture of yours, and which model is it?

What do you think about this one? I will probably take advantage of the weak dollar and buy from the states.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ovation-Celebrity-SE-Deluxe-CSE44-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-516738-i1166403.gc