Mass Effect 3

O.O

I would like to point out that apart from Cerberus and Husks, there's a short clip in there of a Salarian Infiltrator taking down a geth. SINGLE-PLAYER GETH WAR?!

As long as I'm fishing for clues, the galaxy map was divided into sections. Probably different maps for multiplayer, but if it has anything to do with SP, maybe a section of the Galaxy can be lost to the Reapers?

Voice cast vid. Nothing all that new, except Jessica Chobot. Good lord, I love her. DAMN YOU BLAIR HERTER even if you're the best guy on G4....

Book spoilers ahead

Oh boy, that's not gone well.

A Google document on the errors in the newest Mass Effect book, Deception.

I've read the book. It's not bad as an entertainment piece, but really lacks consistency with the established franchise (especially if you read the other books and maybe some of the comics)... some things are just slightly off, some things make you think "what?" as you read but you can sort of go along, and then there are a few that are really, properly messed up. However I do think this is to be attributed to the author, and I really can't imagine Bioware caring this little about the world they created with Mass Effect, so I expect ME3 to retain the quality standard set by ME1 and ME2.

Wow, didn't actually expect that. Though I'm not sure how they want to fix the bigger problems with reprints - quite a few plot points would need changing a lot, it's more like a ground-up rewrite.

Hmmm I have a bunch of credit on amazon should I preorder the regular or the deluxe edition?

I just went and bought it through Origin. I figure I might as well use it if I have to.

Ooo, I bought the special edition BF3, doesn't that mean I can get the demo or something?

Ah, here we go:

A demo of Mass Effect 3 will be released on February 14, 2012 for Xbox 360, PC, and PlayStation 3.[13] The demo will contain both single-player and cooperative multiplayer content. While all players will be able to play the single-player content, access to the multiplayer portion will initially be limited. Those who purchase a copy of Battlefield 3 will be able to gain access to the multiplayer portion of the demo immediately upon the demo's release; access is unlocked by redeeming the Online Pass included with new copies of Battlefield 3. Additionally, participating in a program that will be announced by BioWare on February 7, 2012 can also unlock early access. All non-early access players will be able to play the multiplayer portion of the demo beginning February 17, 2012.[13]

What are you guys playing this on? I'm not sure if I should go for Xbox or PC. All my old save files are on Xbox.

Last edited:
Which online pass is it? I have BF3, and have had it since release, but I don't know of any other passes associated with that particular purchase.

Downloading the demo right now. For what it's worth, I have to give Origin one thing here - it's using my full bandwidth, unlike Steam (which, with most highly anticipated releases, usually does a very good impression of downloading through a dial-up connection).

[update] Right, single-player part finished, that wasn't much - but then, what does one expect of a free demo. Impressions (no story spoilers, only technical stuff about the demo):
The demo is comprised of two parts: first takes place very at the very beginning of ME3 story (though I expect the actual game will start slightly before the demo does) and is quite dialogue- and story-heavy, the second is set during one of the missions mid-story and is mostly closed-quarters action.

- Game engine, UI and graphics haven't changed much from ME2. It's all a bit more polished and rounded-up, but essentially the same. Even the start menu is exactly the same.
- Dialogue and storytelling seem not to have changed at all. Good.
- Running around, Shepard can now jump over gaps and climb ladders. Nothing too impressive.
- Battle system is ME2 all over again - meaning ammo heat sinks (they don't really bother... squadmates actually say "out of ammo" in the game), cover, etc. A few new things I liked:
- - Enemies can deploy smoke, which hides them and makes them impossible to target.
- - You can get hit behind cover by stray rounds. I like this, since in ME2 you were pretty much invincible behind the smallest piece of "chest-high-whatever"; here, you are actually forced to move from unsafe cover to find a good position, and changing positions is beneficial.
- - Enemies are generally a bit smarter when it comes to movement, cover and group coordination.

Last edited:
People need to learn to stay together and focus fire on enemies in the MP....

BTW, if you pre-order on Origin, you get a free copy of BF3.

Last edited:
Fuck. I thought I wanted this as much as possible. After a run through the single player demo, I want it more.

Racingfan30 on Origin, won't be able to play multi until the 17th.

Am I an idiot or is EA screwing with me? I keep going to their site, clicking on the PC download link, and nothing happens.

Am I an idiot or is EA screwing with me? I keep going to their site, clicking on the PC download link, and nothing happens.

I guess it's trying to open Origin for you, and whatever browser you're using doesn't get it. Just go into the Store in Origin, it's under the "free games".