No announcement yet.

Last movie you saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of really stupid moments trying to be funny but falling short. I actually ended up falling asleep somewhere in the middle of it. Nowhere as good as the original.

1997 Audi A6 Avant 2.8 quattro - 12/2006-04/2007 - Totaled
    2005 Audi TT 1.8T quattro - 07/2012-11/2012 - Traded
    2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 - 11/2012-
    1992 Mazda Miata 1.6 - 03/2013-07/2017 - Sold
    1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - 12/2014-

Twitter/Instagram: @SeenOnWoodward

Comment

I have to partly disagree after seeing it - eventhough I agree with you on "Inception": I am on record as saying that "Sucker Punch" did many things better than "Inception".

Let me start with the main good thing about the film: It is unbelievably well-shot. The way the DoP, Emmanuel Lubezki, makes long takes and sweeping steadycam movements work flawlessly, how he actually makes the camera movement help advance the plot, is just awe-inspiring. And I really have to protest against this being called artsy-fartsy, if we understand "artsy-fartsy" as "being overly complicated or putting a visual effect, an attitude before serving the story to be told". Compare the camerawork, for example, with the terrible mess that are the long takes and constant steadycam movements in "Irreversible" (you know, the one where Monica Belucci gets raped for ten minutes).
      What I especially liked was how the DoP makes the camera relentlessly switch between subjective and objective perspectives in-shot without it looking gimmicky. The DoP takes a technique that has long been used for special "wow" moments in key scenes (see the "Library Scene" in "Wings of Desire" for the perhaps most famous example) and makes it look effortless, an everyday device of camerawork. As I said, I am in awe.

Then, as has already been pointed out, there's the acting, which is without fail from start to finish. And even as part of such a top-notch cast, Edward Norton still stands out, giving one of his strongest performances to date. I think what Norton did here is what some people call "career-defining".

Finally, the atmosphere of the movie reminds me of the nouvelle vague. Pro critics have compared the films style to Godard - I was reminded more of Godard's partner in crime, Truffault. That might partly be due to the fact that one of Truffaults films, "Day for Night", deals with the related subject of a film crew trying to get a location shoot finished on schedule. The nouvelle vague connection for me especially concerns the conscious blurring of the lines between the layers of fiction. We got the play-within-the-film being staged, we got people consciously and unconsciously playing a role towards each other, sometimes the characters seem to be almost conscious that they are playing parts not in life, but in a work of fiction, and finally, there's the dream sequence/film-within-the-film that is "Birdman 4". All these layers seem to bleed into each other all the time. I found that aspect of the film very well-crafted and working much better than the dream layers of "Inception".

Sadly, for all this brilliance in the crafts and theoretical layering department, I have to agree that the film lacked plotting, especially when compared to it's rather more thought-out main Oscar competitor, "Grand Budapest Hotel". "Birdman" isn't a bad film by any means, plot-wise. It's just nothing too special. I don't know much about films about theater, but comparing it with the three standard films about filmmaking, namely "Living in Oblivion" (about low budget films), State and Main (about big-budget Hollywood movies) and the aforementioned "Day for Night" (about European movies), it does not stand out at all. I was entertained (which, to take a final jab in that direction, is more than I can say about "Incepton"), but not blown away the slightest.

All in all
      , I think the reason this film is Oscar material is because Hollywood loves navel-gazing. My prediction is that "Birdman" will win the supporting actor Oscar for Norton, the Cinematography Oscar for Emmanuel Lubezki and maybe the supporting actress Oscar for Emma Stone. "Grand Budapest Hotel" will walk away with most of the others.
      Last edited by Dr_Grip; February 4th, 2015, 11:03 PM.
      Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
      (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Kingsman - was different from what the trailer gives away, alot more violence than it would hint to, but not surprising i guess based on Kickass. The action scenes were awesome, really well shot.

Spoiler Text: (Click here to toggle display)
        The church scene was insane

really enjoyable film, one of the surprise movies for me in the last year. 8.5/10

Comment

Ex-machina

A bit fucked up...

Comment

Originally posted by ahpadt View Post
            Ex-machina

A bit fucked up...
            Like...good fucked-up? It looked really good.
            There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by CrzRsn View Post

A lot of really stupid moments trying to be funny but falling short. I actually ended up falling asleep somewhere in the middle of it. Nowhere as good as the original.
              The original was good? I guess I didn't smoke enough before I seen it.
              "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

We’ve gone from 'Hope and Change' to 'Hope and Change Your Story.' -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Dr_Grip View Post
                Let me start with the main good thing about the film: It is unbelievably well-shot. The way the DoP, Emmanuel Lubezki, makes long takes and sweeping steadycam movements work flawlessly, how he actually makes the camera movement help advance the plot, is just awe-inspiring. And I really have to protest against this being called artsy-fartsy, if we understand "artsy-fartsy" as "being overly complicated or putting a visual effect, an attitude before serving the story to be told". [...]As I said, I am in awe.
                [...]Then, as has already been pointed out, there's the acting, which is without fail from start to finish. And even as part of such a top-notch cast, Edward Norton still stands out, giving one of his strongest performances to date. I think what Norton did here is what some people call "career-defining".
                Sadly, for all this brilliance in the crafts and theoretical layering department, I have to agree that the film lacked plotting, especially when compared to it's rather more thought-out main Oscar competitor, "Grand Budapest Hotel". "Birdman" isn't a bad film by any means, plot-wise. [...] I was entertained (which, to take a final jab in that direction, is more than I can say about "Incepton"), but not blown away the slightest.
                Birdman is on the other side of the scale, I cannot imagine even anyone leaving the cinema without understanding it, nor not see the on stage ending coming. Not that a movie has
                That said, Faffing about Hotel does not cut if for me either. Not that I do not think of as "bad" like I think about Birdman. But that is a discussion for another day.
                Last edited by Interrobang; February 5th, 2015, 12:50 PM.

beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

Comment

Originally posted by Interrobang View Post
                  Birdman is on the other side of the scale, I cannot imagine even anyone leaving the cinema without understanding it, nor not see the on stage ending coming.
                  Really? I think we can agree to disagree on the rest, but I think any person that thinks "Inception" is complex in any way, is hard to "get", does interesting stuff with layers of reality and/or storytelling, should get it's head examined. There seldomly has been a film that's so full of unneccessary signposting as "Inception". Such a stupid, stupid film. Regarding "Birdman", of course, using Chekhov's gun literally was a bit too much - but then again, it could be seen as a "Fight Club" reference.

"Fight Club" is a movie that I was shocked how much worse than I remembered it was on re-watching, but that's a story for another day, as well.
                  Battered and weary after the craziness of the 1960s, the self-righteousness of the 1970s and the greed of the 1980s, I want to go home again, oh, so desperately - home to that land of drive-in restaurants and Chevy Bel-Airs, making out and rock 'n' roll and drag races and Studebakers, Elvis and James Dean and black leather jackets. Not that I ever owned a black leather jacket.
                  (Roger Ebert)

|

Comment

Mum and I took Junior to see the Shaun the Sheep Movie this afternoon. Good fun, lot's of very clever slapstick and sight gags and you have to admire the dedication that can see it take a week to create 8 seconds of footage. I still preferred Paddington.

7/10
                    WillDAQ: To use the technical terms: "the Mustang is to aerodynamics what horse shit is to fine dining"

Dr Grip: Brilliant!

EyeMWing Because what fun is a silicone dick if you don't try putting it in somebody's backside at least once.

Jay IKEA now ranks up in my awesome list, quite near bacon and blowjobs.

Cowboy I've never gotten so drunk I wanted to rub one out while shoving a fire extinguisher up my ass.

Remind me never to have him round to dinner!

www.mattonmotors.com/ @MattOnMotors

Comment

Jupiter Ascending. Meh.
                      Shop Finalgear * Track your Euro bills

Comment

Originally posted by NecroJoe View Post
                        Like...good fucked-up? It looked really good.
                        I reckon those who are really into computational intelligence will see it as a good, or mostly good fucked up.

Comment

I missed seeing Paddington when it was in the theatres. I'm hoping it won't be too long before it is released in disc.

Comment

"What we do in the Shadows"

Vampires, in New Zealand, struggling to adapt to modern life. Filmed by a documentary crew.
                            I laughed my ass off, this was brilliant. Solid 9.5/10, refreshingly different.

Big Hero 6

I really laughed a lot, nice animations, ok-ish story. Probably not entirely for kids. 8/10
                            Max (1986 E32 735i):
                            Moritz (1998 E36 328i Convertible):

Owner of "Best Car" and "Best Bavarian Car" Award winner at Ringmeet 2015

Comment

Originally posted by D-Fence View Post
                              "What we do in the Shadows"

Vampires, in New Zealand, struggling to adapt to modern life. Filmed by a documentary crew.
                              I laughed my ass off, this was brilliant. Solid 9.5/10, refreshingly different.

[...]
                              Had seen the trailer for that in Summer I think, was interested but then forgot about it. Thank you for reminding me

beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

Comment

Need For Speed.

Bad, but not as bad as I was expecting. I think the worst part is Michael Keaton. What the hell?
                                - Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

Comment

Big Hero 6

Enjoyed it, predictable and a bit cheesy but made me laugh. Also the CGI was quite impressive, quality is jumping exponentially.

My Shirt Store

Some say he migrated when fuel hit 4 pounds per gallon and that he can make
                                  'special price' for you. All we know is, he's the Stig's Arab cousin; Al-Stig!

Comment

Where is it in theaters? I can't find it.
                                    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                                    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                                    2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

It's been airing here since December I think.

Comment

Fury

Was ok, been a while since I watched a war movie, i guess it was ok, but nothing memorable for me.

My Shirt Store

Some say he migrated when fuel hit 4 pounds per gallon and that he can make
                                        'special price' for you. All we know is, he's the Stig's Arab cousin; Al-Stig!

Comment

John Wick.

Really liked it, 8/10. Will buy on Blu-ray.
                                          - Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

Comment

Working...
                                          X