Last movie you saw?

...what could have possessed you to watch it even once?

Wanted to watch a funny comedy and give my brain some time off

I can watch Citizen Kane and Ace Ventura on the same afternoon with no problems :)

I can watch Citizen Kane and Ace Ventura on the same afternoon with no problems :)

I get this part...in the same first date with a girl we watched Pi, Kids, Requiem for a Dream, and The Emperor's New Groove.

White Chicks, though...White Chicks? :p

Imitation-v1.jpg

9/10. I really like how they built his character. One of my college mates was incredibly smart, no problem was too hard for him to solve, Cumberbatch perfectly portrayed that kind of person, even though Turing was on another level entirely.

I get this part...in the same first date with a girl we watched Pi, Kids, Requiem for a Dream, and The Emperor's New Groove.

White Chicks, though...White Chicks? :p

Okay okay, just watched Taxi Driver, Platoon, and Apocalypse Now just to balance things ^_^

... and then watched Norbit
Trollface.png

Saw Chappie this evening, back to level of District 9 after Elysium. really enjoyed it.

Catch up on the films seen so far this year:

Taken 3 6.5/10
Foxcatcher 8.5/10
American Sniper 8.5/10
Ex Machina 7.5/10
Kingsman 8.5/10
Big Hero 6 8/10
Focus 8/10
Chappie 9/10

Kingsman was great fun.
Samuel L Jackson killed it.

Big Hero 6, I didn't care much for its plot but the animation.......Holy. Crap. Sometimes, I would just pause and soak in all the intricacies of the graphics.

Not sure what differentiates Disney Animation Studios and Pixar but bravo to them.

Big Hero 6, I didn't care much for its plot but the animation.......Holy. Crap. Sometimes, I would just pause and soak in all the intricacies of the graphics.

Not sure what differentiates Disney Animation Studios and Pixar but bravo to them.
Definitely agree with the animation. The action sequences were pretty badass.

Papa ou Maman

Cynical French Comedy about a divorcing couple who both don?t want "the children" in their life after the divorce. Promising concept and indeed quite fun at times, but it tries to have it?s cake and eat it by still trying to make you sympathize with the selfish asshat-parents. It?s "the war of Roses"- light.
On a sidenote ... Vanessa Guide o_O

5/10

Citizenfour

Solid documentary focusing on how the leak came about and how the world got to know Ed Snowden rather than the actual information. No new facts or anything, but well shot, narrated and informative. Nothing wrong with it, but it?s also just not something to get really excited about especically if like me you?ve read this all before ...

7/10

Last edited:
Last night I went to see Metropolis. The version that was restored with help from that Argentinian find from a a few years ago. In the local Concert Hall. With the musical score provided live by the Concert Hall's philharmonic orchestra. Oh hell yeah. :)

It was a very interesting experience, and in a good way. Metropolis, as a silent movie made in the 1920s, is a challenge for a mind used to today's movies. First, the fact that there's no audible dialogue means you have to pay much more attention to gesture and facial expression of the actors. It also means that the acting in these departments is somewhat overdone, which is funny to see.
Also, 90-year-old set-building and visual effects. What they achieved is awesome beyond a doubt and still silly to see today. The 1920's "futuristic" aesthetics and the way the movie uses clothing as a means of showing the differences between worker class and ruler class is almost painful in the way wordplay can be painful.
I don't know if it's the lack of spoken dialogue alone or something else, but it struck me that nothing in the movie is even remotely subtle. The acting itself, the way important information is conveyed via frames of written text with really obvious wording, the writing... most obvious when Machine-Maria drives all the man crazy. Yeah, we get it, she's temptation incarnate. Oh, Brigitte Helm had the devious gaze down to a tee. :)

With regard to the actual story, it's a classic arc. Well, obviously. The thing that was most memorable to me was that every action of every character that somehow related to the city's machine system was utterly erratic, idiotic, senseless, or several of these. But I guess that was exactly the point. :D

From today's point of view, it also struck me how utterly sexistic and clich?-laden the portrayal of women in the movie was.

In all, the movie is definitely not the most fun film around, but really worth seeing. But that should be done properly, meaning not at home, but on the big screen. If you have the chance to see it at a cinema or better yet a screening with classical music score, go for it.

Penguins of Madagascar

Got bored with the original movie series, but this was a nice standalone, enjoyable, especially the henchmen and their names :lol:

Last night I went to see Metropolis. The version that was restored with help from that Argentinian find from a a few years ago. In the local Concert Hall. With the musical score provided live by the Concert Hall's philharmonic orchestra. Oh hell yeah. :)

It was a very interesting experience, and in a good way. Metropolis, as a silent movie made in the 1920s, is a challenge for a mind used to today's movies. First, the fact that there's no audible dialogue means you have to pay much more attention to gesture and facial expression of the actors. It also means that the acting in these departments is somewhat overdone, which is funny to see.
Also, 90-year-old set-building and visual effects. What they achieved is awesome beyond a doubt and still silly to see today. The 1920's "futuristic" aesthetics and the way the movie uses clothing as a means of showing the differences between worker class and ruler class is almost painful in the way wordplay can be painful.
I don't know if it's the lack of spoken dialogue alone or something else, but it struck me that nothing in the movie is even remotely subtle. The acting itself, the way important information is conveyed via frames of written text with really obvious wording, the writing... most obvious when Machine-Maria drives all the man crazy. Yeah, we get it, she's temptation incarnate. Oh, Brigitte Helm had the devious gaze down to a tee. :)

With regard to the actual story, it's a classic arc. Well, obviously. The thing that was most memorable to me was that every action of every character that somehow related to the city's machine system was utterly erratic, idiotic, senseless, or several of these. But I guess that was exactly the point. :D

From today's point of view, it also struck me how utterly sexistic and clich?-laden the portrayal of women in the movie was.

In all, the movie is definitely not the most fun film around, but really worth seeing. But that should be done properly, meaning not at home, but on the big screen. If you have the chance to see it at a cinema or better yet a screening with classical music score, go for it.

It is also entertaining to watch with, instead of the film's "classical"-style score, Skinny Puppy's "Too Dark Park" album blasting.

John Wick

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2911666/

Really good action movie. Action scenes were really good, especially the club scene! Keanu really did fit well for the role and rest of the acting was good as well. It had the Ryan O'Reilly actor from Oz as well, allways liked his acting and the hotel for assanssin's was an great idea! Will this be the next Taken?

Rating= 9/10

The Hobbit Trilogy

It is impressive how you can make a trilogy with an pretty serious tone out of an small childs book. :D

Hobbit looked really good and was nice for the most part, but really it should have been made as two movies.

Something about some of the stuff that really shouldnt been in these movies:

Legolas would have been ok if he would have been less OP! Seriously that just looked stupid. I guess the love story between Kili and that Elf chick from Lost hit its mark, because theater was full of crying teens. Gandalf scenes in the tombs and Dol Guldur were really cool, so it gets thumps up from me!

Ratings,

An Unexpected Journey = 7.5/10 (Really solid movie)

The Desolation of Smaug = 8/10 (Even better. Smaug:thumbup:)

The Battle of the Five Armies = 6/10 (Everyone knows the problems on this one)

Azok and Bolg looked really UGLY. It looked like they were made out of plastic! :lol:

Chappie 9/10. I expect something with a strong moral background and to tear at my heartstrings. Was not disappointed. And saw it in IMAX :D

After the Sunset

Nope, beautiful Salma Hayek is not enough. 6/10

What We Do In The Shadows

10/10

I haven't laughed like this in years!

Kingsman. 11/10, what a fun ride from start to finish. Definitely a must see if you are into snatch, lock stock, layer cake and such.

Batman 1966

I haven't seen this film in about 20 years. I've always wanted to see the blu-ray version, which is supposed to be a great transfer.

I noticed it on Netflix and decided to kill an hour or so. The only thing I remembered about watching it all those years ago, was the shark-repellent and the ending which wasn't great.

My main problem with HD/remasters is that they ruin everything. Terminator 2 is unwatchable. This has many flaws, but because it's 1960's Batman, all the nonsense just adds to the fun. I can't just watch a movie, if I see something strange i'll rewind and pause etc. In SD you can't see everyones stunt-double, you can't see fishing line holding the capes up/down. You can't see that the punches are 4 miles away from the target. You can't see the wires used to lift Batman up his pole. You can't see Cesar Romeros moustache which he refused to shave. You can't tell they're on a sound stage for the submarine fight... In crystal clear HD, you see all of these things. But this is Batman 1966, in which quotes like this are made...

Batman: [reads the first riddle] What has yellow skin and writes?
Robin: A ball-point banana!
Batman: [reads the second riddle] What people are always in a hurry?
Robin: Rushing people... Russians!
Batman: So this means...
Robin: Someone Russian is going to slip on a banana and break their neck!
Batman: Precisely, Robin!

It all just adds to the campness of it all, things that should be cringeworthy aren't because thats the whole point of this film.

Rating 6.6/10. It's not the Nolan trilogy, but it's fun.

giphy.gif