Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last movie you saw?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The Chaser
    Oh boy, I caught that on TV yesterday, by pure luck.
    When I saw it was South Korean, my interest peaked and HOLY SHIT.
    It's a classic tale of "guy chasing serial killer", loosely based on a true story but it perverts the clichès of the genre.
    Highly recommend it.

    "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

    Comment


      Life of Pi (2012)

      Never saw this one before, but what a profoundly good film. 9/10

      Comment


        Technically not a movie, but a musical. But i just came back from Lazarus, which was nothing short of awesome.
        Michael C Hall's performance and singing of the title sons Lazarus is even better irl compared to the youtube version of it on Stephen Colbert.

        I'm not used to seeing theater and musical performances, unlike movies. But i enjoyed every second of it.
        IT'S OK TO BE TAKEI

        Volvo C30 DRIVe
        BMW F700GS

        The Law of Inverse Value: The less you contribute to society, the greater the trauma you can sustain with minimal to no physical sequelae.

        FG Ringmeet 2014
        FG Ringmeet 2015
        FG Mini-Roadtrip 2015

        Comment


          Miss Sharon Jones, a documentary on Netflix. I'm a huge fan of basically anything Daptone Records touches, and she was one of the first two artists I got into from that label. It's the sort of music that if you didn't know any better was recorded in the studio next door to James Brown's recording sessions in his peak.

          She died recently from Cancer, and this does feel a little bit rushed as if it wasn't even started until she died...but still a lot of great history about her, and some on her band (The Dap Kings, who also served as Amy Winehouse's backing band).

          Worth a watch if you like documentaries about musicians and are OK with them not being, like, brilliant masterworks of filmmaking.
          Last edited by NecroJoe; January 8th, 2017, 6:55 AM.
          There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Adamar View Post
            Technically not a movie, but a musical. But i just came back from Lazarus, which was nothing short of awesome.
            Michael C Hall's performance and singing of the title sons Lazarus is even better irl compared to the youtube version of it on Stephen Colbert.

            I'm not used to seeing theater and musical performances, unlike movies. But i enjoyed every second of it.
            Need to see this! In London? How many people know Dexter can sing...

            ||||||||||||||| Ride, Eat, Sleep, Repeat.
            My 1988 Lancia Delta HF Turbo
            My 1991 Volvo 960 Turbo

            Comment


              Originally posted by avanti View Post
              Need to see this! In London? How many people know Dexter can sing...

              You'd better hurry up. Show ends in 2 weeks and on only 2 shows are less than a handful of tickets available.

              I didn't know he could sing either. But when i looked up his wikipedia i was surprised to see his career started in theater an musical.
              IT'S OK TO BE TAKEI

              Volvo C30 DRIVe
              BMW F700GS

              The Law of Inverse Value: The less you contribute to society, the greater the trauma you can sustain with minimal to no physical sequelae.

              FG Ringmeet 2014
              FG Ringmeet 2015
              FG Mini-Roadtrip 2015

              Comment


                La La Land
                Not much of a musical guy,but I've only heard good things, I like Gosling and Stone, so we gave it a shot. And it's great.

                Comment


                  Meh, musicals...

                  Saw The Great Wall yesterday. Not bad, actually. Fun action flick.

                  Spoiler Text: (Click here to toggle display)
                  Kind of like a live action anime version of The Night's Watch from Game of Thrones, if that makes any sense.


                  Final Gear around the world care package
                  discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by 47 View Post
                    La La Land
                    Not much of a musical guy,but I've only heard good things, I like Gosling and Stone, so we gave it a shot. And it's great.
                    Question: I've heard good things too and don't want to spoiler myself too much in case I actually see it - but I've seen the Trailer and concluded that I will prob not like the Film. Would you say that if I did not like the trailer I should not bother watching the film?

                    beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

                    Comment


                      Allied

                      Good acting, great setting and an intriguing story. Some flaws in the spoiler below.
                      Spoiler Text: (Click here to toggle display)
                      Movie spend too little time on the time when he actually found out she was a spy and has about 10 minutes of playtime left when it finally kicks into gear. Tear-jerker ending is tear jerky. Titanic wants it's ending back.

                      7/10


                      Rouge one

                      I was more disappointed about that one than anything else. The movie is decent, but I was expecting more. I thought this was going to give us something new, that this was a movie that would experiment a bit. What I saw were the same set pieces that every Star Wars has always had with Marvin from Hitchhikers Galaxy on top. It's not bad - but it's not the injection of fresh ideas this whole franchise needs and that I was told that it would be.

                      6/10


                      The Arrival

                      Amy Adams acts the shit out of this one delivering one of the really great performances this year. The movie is not without flaw though. Some of it comes down to the whole Idea behind the movie. Suspension of disbelief really became a problem for me with this movie.

                      8/10
                      Last edited by Interrobang; January 9th, 2017, 9:43 AM.

                      beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

                      Comment


                        I really liked "The Arrival".
                        It has flaws indeed but I must give it praise for making a movies with aliens that feels fresh, instead of the usual PEW PEW PEW, EXPLOSIONS but instead goes in a direction that focus on the social effects of an alien contact.
                        I agree with you, the whole idea is a bit flawed, but I still enjoyed it.

                        "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Interrobang View Post
                          Question: I've heard good things too and don't want to spoiler myself too much in case I actually see it - but I've seen the Trailer and concluded that I will prob not like the Film. Would you say that if I did not like the trailer I should not bother watching the film?
                          Well, the movie is more or less in the same tone as the trailer. It's fun, happy, with just a bit of serious. I liked it.
                          Maybe give it a shot later, if you don't wan't to go to the cinema, but it's really good.

                          Comment


                            There are two "musical universes in film.

                            Universe 1: Where it's just a movie and the setting and characters are musicians or dancer or singer, so parts of the movie just take place during musical numbers.

                            Universe 2: Everyone in just accepts that these people live in a world where people sing their dialogue randomly and will often sing and dance in perfect choreographed formation, usually sounding like their volcals were recorded in a studio with invisible instruments providing backing music.


                            I can sometimes deal with Universe 1. I can't friggin' stand Universe 2.

                            Which universe does La La Land occupy?
                            There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by NecroJoe View Post
                              There are two "musical universes in film.

                              Universe 1: Where it's just a movie and the setting and characters are musicians or dancer or singer, so parts of the movie just take place during musical numbers.

                              Universe 2: Everyone in just accepts that these people live in a world where people sing their dialogue randomly and will often sing and dance in perfect choreographed formation, usually sounding like their volcals were recorded in a studio with invisible instruments providing backing music.


                              I can sometimes deal with Universe 1. I can't friggin' stand Universe 2.

                              Which universe does La La Land occupy?
                              La La Land is a synthesis of the two. Saw it last weekend, great movie even if musicals aren't your thing.

                              The director made the clever choice of filming this in the style of the old1950s era Gene Kelly style musical films... except it takes place in modern LA.

                              Comment


                                Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2008)

                                I've never seen this one, but it was on Amazon Prime and I had one or six Coronas in me, so I watched it. It wasn't as bad as what I heard, but that might be the beer talking. Still, it seems like a mistake. I thought The Last Crusade was a good way to end the franchise. This one just felt sad.
                                Last edited by TC; January 12th, 2017, 12:40 AM.

                                Comment


                                  Valhalla Rising.
                                  It's quite spectaculat, the locations are jaw-dropping and soooooo many interpretations are possible.
                                  I quite liked it.

                                  "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

                                  Comment


                                    Ostwind: Weird that enjoyed it. I really liked the parts where she was playing with the horse like it's a pet dog.

                                    Btw, I watched the subtitled version. I hate dubbed voices.
                                    Last edited by Black Z Eddie; January 15th, 2017, 9:01 PM.
                                    Flickr

                                    Comment


                                      The Heat

                                      It's really good, I shouldn't enjoy it as much as I do.

                                      Comment


                                        Now go watch Heat.

                                        Last edited by NecroJoe; January 15th, 2017, 11:45 PM.
                                        There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by NecroJoe View Post
                                          Now go watch Heat.


                                          I watched the heist scene earlier, as I couldn't be bothered to watch the whole thing.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X