Last movie you saw?

Fast 7.
Well... ok.

2 Fast 2 Furious will remain my favourite, and 5 will still be my second best, because of those lovely Brazilian locations.

Battle Royale

It looks as if it was filmed in about 1987, Stormtroopers have a better hit rate and the gunshots look terrible.

I wanted Mitsuko to win. :cry:

Rating 7/10

The House Bunny

Awful movie, terrible movie...

I watched it just to see how Emma Stone looked like when she was 18 years old :lol:

Because of Battle Royale, i watched the entire Hunger Games, i have soo many questions and little to no interest in the answers.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Enjoyed it more than I expected to. Only criticism was the sound editing - there are parts early in the movie where the dialogue is somewhat muffled and drowned out by the rest of the soundtrack.

Just got back from seeing Logan (2017). The nostalgia is real. An extremely good film.

MADoIn1.jpg

It was pretty good. Didn't really like the B-story with the gov't agent, and Anna Kendrick's character was useless, but the rest of the movie was good. 8/10

I_Am_Not_Your_Negro.png

I'd hardly call this film entertainment in the narrow sense of the word ("Commando" it isn't) but I found it tremendously enjoyable. It's a documentary about author-activist James Baldwin. At the same time, it's a documentary about Malcolm X, Martin Luther King and Medgar Evers, the narration provided solely by Baldwin recordings and excerpts from published and unpublished Baldwin manuscripts read by Samuel L. Jackson. It also is an essay film about race relations in the United States from the times of slavery through the civil rights movement up to today.

The visual side is an essayistic montage that uses footage from the 1960s civil rights movement, Baldwin appearances in TV shows and lecture halls, classic Hollywood movies, and contemporary images from the Rodney King beating, Ferguson MO, or Black Lives Matter rallys to great effect, emphasizing points Baldwin makes, not the least the difference between "black America" and "white America". For example, a snippet from "Lover come back" showing a glittery-top wearing Doris Day in a squeaky-clean, technicolor dream of a kitchen is cut against press photos of lyching victims hung from trees contemporary to the film's release. The soundtrack is a great selection of early Blues tracks and some Soul, climaxing in this deeply moving rendition of The Ballad of Birmingham by Tennesse State U Students, finally dumping us in the not-so-changed realities of the 2010s with a Kendrick Lamar song.

I was very impressed by the movie and eventhough I am aware that it makes a good part of it's argument through highly suggestive editing, I think it makes a strong argument towards where America has changed since the sixties and where it hasn't and why the "negro question" still is at the heart of America's way into the future. As going further would definitly venture into political territory, all I'd say is "watch it". For our German and French users, you can stream it on arte.tv.

9/10.

Last edited:
Grip, what is this Rodney King killing you speak of?

F8 of the Furious.
OK this one is pushing it. Helen Mirren is criminally underused; I can only hope she rocks up in F9 or F10 powersliding a Bentley Turbo R.

eaHB9zkl.jpg

Not sure how I feel about this. I understand they had to make the story fit that of A New Hope, but killing EVERYONE involved in the plan retrieval? I felt like there could've been a better way to do that. I don't know what to rate it. Somewhere between a 5.5 and a 8.

Not every movie can have a happy ending.

Not every movie can have a happy ending.

I understand that, and I figured that they just wanted to mix some stuff up in the SW universe as all the other movies end on a more-or-less positive note., but man, everyone? I knew going into it that any character introduced that wasn't in IV would need to be taken care of, but I didn't think it would be in this way.

Oh well.

I think that's a recurring problem in Sci-Fi francises: It's a big fucking universe, but the showrunners insist on it being populated by only 5 people. Take, for example, Star Trek: Whenever mildly villainous Klingons are needed, the damn Duras Sisters show up. Are they the only people left on Kronos?

Or take the stupid Star Wars prequels: Anakin built C3PO? Seriously?

Same holds true for the Rogue One/A New Hope transition: It's a huge rebellion and an even bigger universe. Especially after the close call of escaping the Empire, it would be entirely plausible not to hear from any of the main characters again, ever, without killing them off. They just got stationed elsewhere. But since audiences expect the universe to be populated by no more than five persons (or at least that's what the Hollywood execs think), anyone who was in Rogue One and wasn't killed has to show up in A New Hope, right...

I think that's a recurring problem in Sci-Fi francises: It's a big fucking universe, but the showrunners insist on it being populated by only 5 people. Take, for example, Star Trek: Whenever mildly villainous Klingons are needed, the damn Duras Sisters show up. Are they the only people left on Kronos?

Seriously?

The Duras sisters were in two TNG episodes (one of them a two-parter), one movie and one DS9 episode. That is four appearances spread over 14 seasons and 354 episodes. They were hardly over-used.