Last movie you saw?

Saw Cabin in the woods, was pleasantly surprised. Quite meta, but in that genre this is the only way forward. Both thumbs up from me ...

Marvel's Captain America. It was pretty good, I thought. But the biggest issue for me was the fact that I saw The Avengers already, so I knew that none of the other characters really needed to survive. Kinda ruined it, knowing that the movie was only being made so Marvel could make The Avengers. Even the little clip at the end of the credits was just a trailer for The Avengers. Still, wasn't bad, when you think of it as a very well done back story for that character.

Did anyone go see the new Total Recall. I might go see it tomorrow, but the fact that nobody has mentioned anything about it here is worrying me a little.

^ The critics haven't been kind to the film from what I can tell. So far, I'm hearing it's mostly garbage.

I'm not all that interested in it either...but that's just me.

^ The critics haven't been kind to the film from what I can tell. So far, I'm hearing it's mostly garbage.

I'm not all that interested in it either...but that's just me.

Kate Beckinsale is in it...I am interested in it by default!

battleship-poster.jpg

Surprisingly, not that shit. It was a pretty fun movie (kinda like the Transformer movies). :)

7/10

The hunger games, 6/10

Just watched that film myself. Fucking awful. 4/10 it started off fairly decent but then it just turned into a train wreck. At times it felt like I was watching Battle Royale. Only just dumbed down. In fact I'd call it a twilight version of battle Royale.

I would call it worse film of the year but that honor still goes to Ted. Anything made by Seth MacFarlane should come with warning signs that's it's going to be awful and badly written.

Battleship - Mind-numbingly craptastic
Hunger Games - Terrible
A Dangerous Method - A little tedious
Take Shelter - Great until the end ruined it.

Last edited:
I would call it worse film of the year but that honor still goes to Ted. Anything made by Seth MacFarlane should come with warning signs that's it's going to be awful and badly written.

I saw Ted. If someone funnier than that MacFarlane creature had done it then I probably would've liked it. I do however now have a bit of a crush on Mark Wahlberg.

Chocolate

Outstanding martial arts choreography and a story that serves as far more than a simple set-up for fight scenes.

While new Thai cinema is often hyped, this is the first Thai movie that worked for me in more than 1 dimension.

Jeeja Yanin impressed me beyond everything, hopefully someone in Hollywood takes notice, but not before before Chocolate 2.

After watching Prometheus thursday, I watched Alien & Aliens with two friends last night.

Alien
To be honest I'm not sure if it's really aged well. I also don't think it's a film that lends itself to repeat viewings. It's not bad, but if you know the basic gist of what's going to happen, a lot of the scenes loose the suspense.
However, if I imagine seeing this film for the very first time in 1979, without knowing anything about the plot, I can definitely see how it'd work.

Aliens
One of my personal favourites, has aged much better than the first film IMO. Which is not that surprising, with the more action oriented style.
But still haven't understood where/how the hell the Alien queen hides for the ride back to the Sulaco. :p

Watched "The Adjustment Bureau" the other night and we both REALLY enjoyed it. I know the idea of a romantic sci-fi thriller sounds weird but it works. Partly I imagine because it's based on a Philip K Dick short story which is usually a good premise for a movie. A solid 8/10 at least.

Then went to see "The Bourne Legacy" yesterday. While I really enjoyed it I'm still not sure about it. Jeremy Renner's character lacks the depth the Damon brought to Jason Bourne and somehow it didn't engender the same overall tension as the originals. Still Mrs James Bond is still very easy on the eye and for once Edward Norton did a little bit of acting as opposed to playing Edward Norton like he usually does. I'll give it 7/10 since the sun is shining and I am in a good mood!

Watched "The Adjustment Bureau" the other night and we both REALLY enjoyed it. I know the idea of a romantic sci-fi thriller sounds weird but it works. Partly I imagine because it's based on a Philip K Dick short story which is usually a good premise for a movie. A solid 8/10 at least.

Then went to see "The Bourne Legacy" yesterday. While I really enjoyed it I'm still not sure about it. Jeremy Renner's character lacks the depth the Damon brought to Jason Bourne and somehow it didn't engender the same overall tension as the originals. Still Mrs James Bond is still very easy on the eye and for once Edward Norton did a little bit of acting as opposed to playing Edward Norton like he usually does. I'll give it 7/10 since the sun is shining and I am in a good mood!

The Adjustment Bureau is a great film. Enjoyed it a lot and is the kind of film that can just be enjoyed.

Looking forward to seeing the Bourne Legacy. Jeremy Renner impressed me in both Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol and the Avengers. Mrs James Bond Rachel Weisz is a good actress who can do action movies as well. She was brilliant in her two Mummy movies.
All too often you see brilliant actors who are good in serious dramatic movies but when it comes to action movies, they are just their either for their name or the money involved in having their name attached to a film.

Watched Robocop last night along with Robocop 2 this morning. First film is still just as enjoyable (the Netflix version I watched is the extended version) and despite it still being so obviously a 80's film it still works.
Robocop 2 is a different matter. It's an 80's action movie that dispenses with plot in favour of action scenes, loud music and a gratuitous overly long death scene. For years I tried to understand why I hated it so much only to find out that it was written by Frank Miller.
He was great at comic books (emphasis on the 'was' part. He did great work but his writing now is bloody awful). But his film writing is clumsy, obviously re-written and typical. Peter Weller did the right move in abandoning the franchise after this movie.