Metal Meltdown: Metal Music Discussion

Question time : is this worth getting for someone who only vaguely knows 3 of the 4 bands? Or is it a good idea to watch it anways....

Would so love to do Bloodstock or Wacken next year. I'm thinking about it...up for it Karoug? :p

If i can get mah hands on a proper jawb, sure!! :D

A couple of my favourites...

[video=youtube;91O52uv-lFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91O52uv-lFI[/video]

I'm afraid I'm hopelessly mainstream when it comes to metal. :lol:

Also, here's our "national" Metal Top 70 (it was last weekend)

http://www.stubru.be/programmas/dezwaarsteshow/dezwaarstelijst2012

Thoughts?

Worthless, as was to be expected from Studio Brussel. Trendy and hip. For the cool kids in school.
Mainstream media should steer clear of metal. They don't understand it, and metal never needed them.

I'm a surly old school metal fan (could you tell?:mrgreen:). As far as I'm concerned, metal could have stopped evolving somewhere between 1986-1989 and we wouldn't be missing out on much today ;)

Check out Manilla Road, Metal Church, Lillian Axe, Candlemass... for some of the best metal you've never heard.

Worthless, as was to be expected from Studio Brussel. Trendy and hip.

I sort of get what you mean, but I still disagree. It was voted by the listeners, so of course you won't have a top 70 of metal you like...but it's nice to see a sort of mix of what "most" people like.

I agree that it's pretty 'tame' compared to the stuff in this thread, but to me there's some stuff in there that's a bit too extreme for me already...

There'll always be one guy who thinks whatever music list isn't "hardcore" or "metal" enough...

Would so love to do Bloodstock or Wacken next year. I'm thinking about it...up for it Karoug? :p
If there's one festival worldwide you should avoid like the plague it's Wacken. By now, it's a complete tourist trap: Expensive, tons of distractions and theme park style-amusement and just not enough space in front of the stages to get close enough to see just one band - if you want to see one of the top acts you got to arrive hours early in order to get a decent spot. Because of this I decided to abandon Wacken after the 2007 edition, most of my friends went again in 2008 to see Iron Maiden and found out the hard way that they would have been better off staying at home. Even two of the die-hard Maiden fans from our group decided that the overcrowded front of stage area was not worth it and stayed on the campground during Maiden's gig. Our yearly festival visit has since been moved to the Rock Harz Festival.

Returning to Wacken, I predict a visitor's riot like on the 1997 (I think) Dynamo festival, where fans, feeling ripped off, set fire to the tent stage (and threw mud at Marilyn Manson!) any year now.

On a more positive road I'd like to agree with Thunderchild and order everyone here who does not own Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus Metallicus to go and buy it now. As in right now. It's that good. Seriously.

Last edited:
We played Wacken in 2006. While I thought the organisation was quite good, there were some shenanigans among the crowd that really were unacceptable.
It's gotten too big for its own good. It's only a matter of time before it either implodes (like Dynamo did) or before something bad happens.

There are more metalheads than I expected!

I?ve been listening to a lot of Slayer and Revocation lately.

We played Wacken in 2006. While I thought the organisation was quite good, there were some shenanigans among the crowd that really were unacceptable.
It's gotten too big for its own good. It's only a matter of time before it either implodes (like Dynamo did) or before something bad happens.
What kind of shenanigans are you talking about?

Wacken, I think, is like General Motors by now: Too big to fail, but not producing anything worth spending time with, as well.

What kind of shenanigans are you talking about?
Moshpits turning into open brawls, a couple of naked dudes behaving rather poorly... No big deal really, except that stuff like that can easily be the spark that ignites the keg.
I guess I'm just too old...

Moshpits turning into open brawls, a couple of naked dudes behaving rather poorly... No big deal really, except that stuff like that can easily be the spark that ignites the keg.
I guess I'm just too old...
Let me put it this way: The way moshpits lately developed a tendency to develop into bare-knuckles boxing matches irritates me greatly...

Went to Half Price Books and picked up Slayer's Hell Awaits. I was surprised that a redneck city would actually have metal. They even had a copy of Napalm Death Bootlegged in Japan, which I half regret not getting. But I really wish I had a record player and some decent vintage audio equipment now that I saw a $3.99 Ratt's Out of the Cellar LP. *sigh*

Last edited:
If there's one festival worldwide you should avoid like the plague it's Wacken. By now, it's a complete tourist trap: Expensive, tons of distractions and theme park style-amusement and just not enough space in front of the stages to get close enough to see just one band - if you want to see one of the top acts you got to arrive hours early in order to get a decent spot. Because of this I decided to abandon Wacken after the 2007 edition, most of my friends went again in 2008 to see Iron Maiden and found out the hard way that they would have been better off staying at home. Even two of the die-hard Maiden fans from our group decided that the overcrowded front of stage area was not worth it and stayed on the campground during Maiden's gig. Our yearly festival visit has since been moved to the Rock Harz Festival.

Returning to Wacken, I predict a visitor's riot like on the 1997 (I think) Dynamo festival, where fans, feeling ripped off, set fire to the tent stage (and threw mud at Marilyn Manson!) any year now.

On a more positive road I'd like to agree with Thunderchild and order everyone here who does not own Candlemass' Epicus Doomicus Metallicus to go and buy it now. As in right now. It's that good. Seriously.

Yeah I kinda heard that, though I didnt think it had quite descended to that sort of level yet.

Yeah I kinda heard that, though I didnt think it had quite descended to that sort of level yet.

You can always come to getaway rock festival.
It has the added benefit of being a 10 min bike-ride from where i live! :p