Metal Meltdown: Metal Music Discussion

Der Stig

is Der Slut
Car(s)
Furrin Crap
I know there's a lot of metal enthusiasts here on FG, so I figured I'd make a thread (having not found a previous one) where we could discuss/recommend bands, albums, , talk about live performances, etc.

I don't see this thread becoming a giant bash fest, but please don't flame other's tastes.

To start this thread off, here's some bands and albums that I've been listening to:

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica
Dream Theater
Dio
Black Sabbath
Opeth
Celtic Frost

More recently, I've been interested in:
Amon Amarth
Death Angel

I just ordered these two Death Angel albums for cheap off of HPBmarketplace.

The Ultra Violence (very excited about this one as it's out of print and hard to find for cheap)
41HC1PK77HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Act III
90_act_iii.jpg

I'm planning on getting Amon Amarth's Surtur Rising and Fate of Norns soon. Any other recommendations are welcome :D

Last edited:
Do you like Amon Amarth because of the theme of the music, or the fact that they're quite a good deathmetal band? Because there are trillions (well, maybe dozens) of viking/folk acts that are astoundingly good.

I'm looking forward to to Getaway rock festival this summer!
With bands like Amon Amarth, Satyricon, Behemoth and Meshuggah.
It's gonna be awesome!!

th_smiley-headbanging.gif

/too elitist for this thread

:p

/too elitist for this thread

:p

:lol:

I'm looking forward to to Getaway rock festival this summer!
With bands like Amon Amarth, Satyricon, Behemoth and Meshuggah.
It's gonna be awesome!!

th_smiley-headbanging.gif

Awesome!

I'm pretty excited about seeing Iron Maiden again this summer. My friend and I got tickets for the pit for the last day of the US tour in Houston and decent seats in Dallas the day before. I'm ready for my ears to explode :D

Both. They appear frequently on reddit's metal sub r/shreddit, so I gave them a listen and quite enjoy their stuff. The viking/Norse theme is just icing on the cake.

Ok, Viking/Folk overload:
1) T?r (Faroe Islands):
[video=youtube;h5zNK--DUDg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5zNK--DUDg[/video]

2) Ensiferum (Finland):

3) Turisas (Finland):

4) Obtest (Lithuania):

5) Primordial (Ireland):

6) Cruachan (Ireland):

7) Mael M?rdha (Ireland):

8) Solefald (Norway):

9) Skyforger (Latvia):
[video=youtube;lbL-2q10DtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbL-2q10DtY[/video]

10) Heidevolk (Netherlands):

11) Heljareyga (Faroe Islands):

12) Arkona (Russia):

13) Enslaved (Norway):
[video=youtube;sWyfnp-ghaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWyfnp-ghaE[/video]

14) Tuatha de Danann (Brazil):

15) Forefather (England):

16) Bathory (Sweden):

17) Eluveitie (Switzerland):

Not really metal, but uses viking/dark folk influences:
18) Wardruna (Norway):

19) Vali (Norway):

20) Trelldom (Norway):

There are 20 bands off the top of my head with links to my favorite songs from them. If you want to know great albums to get, let me know I'll tell you their best albums.
21) Rome (Luxembourg):

I'm looking forward on the new releases this year by Fear Factory, Before the Dawn and Soilwork.

Yay finally a thread about good music

I like a whole bunch of stuff, but currently very into

Rammstein
Judas Priest
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Mot?rhead
Black Sabbath
ACDC (do they count)
Foo fighters

But interesting in discovering new stuff (Dimmu Borgir is nice)

So, anyone else into blackgaze / post black metal / postrock/shoegaze influence black metal? So good. But that's me. My taste has never been what everyone else's is though, even when I spent all my time hanging around metal forums. lol, I mean I listen to power metal and black metal, what the hell kind of combination is that.

Anyways, some stuff I'm sure nobody here's ever heard of
[video=youtube;VHuU-mmmBic]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHuU-mmmBic[/video]

You need to listen to the actual genesis of heavy metal music. Buy the Rainbow - Rising album. Top notch from beginning to end. Stargazer, Tarot Woman and A Light In The Black are pure genius.

By the way it's Ritchie's birthday today :)

My good friend who started getting me into metal, especially Opeth and older In Flames nearly 10 years ago is very into shoegaze and doom jazz nowadays and composes his own ambient music.

Also, I found out why I got Death Angel's The Ultra-Violence so cheaply. It's a goddamned cassette :lol:

I don't care what anyone says, everything Opeth does is fucking astounding. If Beethoven or Motzart were alive they'd be fans. And Damnation is a very overlooked album

Big Metal head here.

Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Metallica
Megadeth
Arch Enemy
Children of Bodom
Slayer
Motorhead
Testament
Black Tide
Diamond Head
Judas Priest
Lamb of God
Pantera

Since no one else will mention it: King Crimson's The Power to Believe. In my opinion one of the best metal prog albums made.

[video=youtube;158-LARTXes]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=158-LARTXes[/video]

You can't speak of metal prog without DreamTheater:

[video=youtube;2eE-ykBhT2Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eE-ykBhT2Y[/video]

I love Animals As Leaders (instrumental music that sounds at time like jazz, and other times as metal, with some electronic stuff mixed in).

I like Meshuggah quite a lot (I discovered them when they played as a supporting act in a Ministry show).

I only know a few Opeth track, but every single one of them is a masterpiece.

I love Fate of Norns, such a great song. Amon Amarth are excellent IMO, they have some catchy riffs!

In addition to the bands above I'll add a few more names of bands I really like; Eluveitie, Moonsorrow, Amorphis, Devin Townsend, Therion, Pain of Salvation, the first two albums of Sirenia, Savatage (oh God I wish they'd reform and do just one more album. And a live album. And DVD. Oh, and go on tour. BRING BACK SAVATAGE!!!! :p

I'm running a fairly wide spectrum of styles here but they're all worth checking out.

Would so love to do Bloodstock or Wacken next year. I'm thinking about it...up for it Karoug? :p