Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
Here's a new gameplay video (basically a slightly longer version of the E3 demo, but it's still awesome nonetheless :D):

[video=youtube;6_W2t2ty-SU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_W2t2ty-SU[/video]

I'm happy to see Splinter Cell back (on the PS3 also! :w00t:), it's good to see that Sam is the boss of his own "4th Echelon" now (he only answers to the President), and it already looks quite a bit better than Conviction (they've taken the same sort of "action" formula but added all the stealth aspects that were missing from the previous game). Also, I'm proud to say that this game is being developed here in Toronto :D.

There is only one thing that I'm disappointed in; Michael Ironside, the voice of Sam Fisher ever since the first game came out in 2002 will not reprise his role. :( As a huge Splinter Cell fan, that was some shocking news to hear, but it is understandable (Ironside it too old to do the Mocap stuff).

Oh well, the game looks awesome and the new guy supplying the voice for Sam isn't too bad either. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I was irritated when I found out it won't be Ironside. But, I can't ignore how great this game looks.

Looks awesome, like Assassin's Creed with guns. I'll probably get it if it's on PC. (I didn't build a $1,000 system for nothing dammit!)

When Conviction came out, I didn't have my PS3 yet so I didn't mind that it was a X360/PC exclusive (now I do because I want to play it on my PS3 :p) and I got it for PC, but this game is coming out on PS3, X360, and PC. :D

I think I would have been happier if they just used a new character and left Sam and Ironside in the game in a different capacity. The game is called Splinter Cell, not Sam Fisher Kills Shit, so you could use other people. I am glad to know that Ironside is still playing a role in the development of the game though. I probably wont get this mostly because I don't play video games much anymore so games now have to seem more awesome than they used to for me to buy.

Looks great, but it's like a mix of CoD, Battlefront, Assassin's Creed which I'm not too sure about. Even in Chaos Theory he always climbed and vaulted with a certain 'spring-loaded slowness' where he groaned and would occasionally mumble, 'Ugh, I'm too old for this'. And now he's jumping up 10metre walls like he's a 20 year old.

I'm sure there's still going to be night time sneaky sneaky, but it seems a bit distant from what my personal flavour would be like.

Also, if I have just discovered that my daughter wasn't killed, I'd rather retired and spend the rest of my time with her instead. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn that around.

Last edited:
Check out the gunplay at 3:18 in that video. Reminds me of this scene in collateral:

AKA: FUCKING AWESOME. However, comparing the two videos, it's apparent how weak the guns sound in the game compared to Michael Mann gunshots. He's the boss when it comes to audio quality and authenticity. Why can't he make video games??

Last edited:
I think I would have been happier if they just used a new character and left Sam and Ironside in the game in a different capacity. The game is called Splinter Cell, not Sam Fisher Kills Shit, so you could use other people. I am glad to know that Ironside is still playing a role in the development of the game though. I probably wont get this mostly because I don't play video games much anymore so games now have to seem more awesome than they used to for me to buy.

Looks great, but it's like a mix of CoD, Battlefront, Assassin's Creed which I'm not too sure about. Even in Chaos Theory he always climbed and vaulted with a certain 'spring-loaded slowness' where he groaned and would occasionally mumble, 'Ugh, I'm too old for this'. And now he's jumping up 10metre walls like he's a 20 year old.

I'm sure there's still going to be night time sneaky sneaky, but it seems a bit distant from what my personal flavour would be like.

Also, if I have just discovered that my daughter wasn't killed, I'd rather retired and spend the rest of my time with her instead. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn that around.

I agree. Sam should have Lambert's job.

I agree. Sam should have Lambert's job.

Well, he kinda does because he's the leader of 4th Echelon, but he still goes into the field to do missions. Yeah it is a bit unrealistic that a mid-50's guy (manual from the first game says he was born in 1957) can do all those moves, but look at Sly and Arnie in their new movies (and they're even 10 years older than Sam ;)).

Also, I think the developers said they want to freeze Sam's age at 42 (kinda like they did with James Bond). I don't really like that idea, so I'm ignoring it. :D To me he is in his mid 50's right now and he just takes care of himself (eating right, exercising, yoga, etc.) enough to do those kind of moves at his age. :D

The games have already introduced other agents, I wish they would expand a bit.

Yeah but Sam Fisher IS Splinter Cell. They will definitely sell more copies if you play as Sam than if you play as some random new guy. I don't think there's a point in replacing Sam as the main character because once they run out of ideas for him, they will just stop making games (Blacklist is the 6th already, so I don't think they're gonna make much more; this may even be the last one).

Yeah, that makes sense since Sam is getting a bit old now all these moves will be more believable if done by a younger Sam. :)

Stealthy playthrough of the same demo from E3:

Nice to see some stealth again. :)

New trailer:

Looks cool and all, but...the change to that new voice is just so...jarring. It's the first time I had to hear it constantly for a whole 2 minutes and I don't like it...maybe I'll get used to it when I play the game.

It's just ridiculous that a character in his mid-50's is voiced by a 30 year old. :( Imagine how much more awesome this would've been if Ironside was still providing the voice for Sam...*sigh*

I think Ubisoft thinks the name "Sam Fisher" is kind of a selling point for the Splinter Cell franchise, but I believe they would sell just as many copies if they made a new character because people who know Sam Fisher already know the franchise and Ubi won't likely lose those sales even with a new character. "Sam Fisher" wouldn't attract newcomers to the franchise.

Meh, they had 5th Freedom in the first game, but never made such a big fuss over it

Meh, they had 5th Freedom in the first game, but never made such a big fuss over it

That's because in the first 4 games Sam wasn't the killing machine that he is now. :p

They have to emphasize the 5th freedom to justify all this violence. :D

But he shouldn't be a killing machine, only a SIGNET operative that STEALTHILY gathers data or pinpoints priority targets. *throws nerd fit*