Lucas sells Lucasfilm Ltd and Star Wars franchise for $4 billion...and Ep 7 announced

Of course you will. Disney has to milk everything out of the series it can until they can buy more stuff.

Hmmm, maybe they can get Firefly back on too? Nah, they won't do it any justice.

Make me a Thrawn trilogy with Whedon at the helm and I'll forget Jar Jar Binks and midichlorians.

One less independent media company. Fantastic, good to know Lucas has been replaced by dull and evil MBAs.

Thank Christ. Now maybe I can get the original, unmolested, holy trilogy on bluray without all the shitty "improvements" Lucas stuffed into them.

Of course you will. Disney has to milk everything out of the series it can until they can buy more stuff.

It will only be available for a period of three weeks before it goes "back into the vault" and you have to wait another 5 years for a chance to buy it. :p

*cough* original home video sequels *cough* you've got your blinders turned only to Disney feature films my friend.

Can I just say, Star Wars Holiday Special?

If you're afraid of direct to video stuff, Disney can't do worse than Lucas.

I'm sorry, but have you people gone full retard? This is terrible news! You can go ahead and call me a fanboy all you want but no good can come of this.
Who do you think Disney is going to cater to with the franchise in the future ? Adult fans, the ones who, I dunno, have been with Star wars for 30 damn years? Or the much bigger market and cashcow that are kids and their parents that are getting nagged for Star wars toys? The next movie will probably have ewoks doing a sing and dance routine!

- - - Updated - - -

So does this mean that we'll get to see Pixar made animated Star Wars? :p

I'm sorry, but have you people gone full retard? This is terrible news! You can go ahead and call me a fanboy all you want but no good can come of this.
Who do you think Disney is going to cater to with the franchise in the future ? Adult fans, the ones who, I dunno, have been with Star wars for 30 damn years? Or the much bigger market and cashcow that are kids and their parents that are getting nagged for Star wars toys? The next movie will probably have ewoks doing a sing and dance routine!

- - - Updated - - -

This is not necessarily terrible news. Honestly, we won't know what kind of news it is until Truce At Bakura (calling it now) is released. I'm nervous. Very nervous. This could go a ton of different directions. The good news, and go ahead and call me crazy, is Lucas is staying on as creative consultant. How is that good news? Up until today, everything Star Wars had to be given the okay by him. So for every Christmas Special, there's books and comics and video games that are fantastic. And as creative consultant, he can tell Disney where the story goes and what's been deemed canon.

EDIT:
So does this mean that we'll get to see Pixar made animated Star Wars? :p

Pixar doing a new Clone Wars-type TV show would make me a happy uber-fan.

Can I just say, Star Wars Holiday Special?

If you're afraid of direct to video stuff, Disney can't do worse than Lucas.

The Holiday Special was only aired once with no home video release. On the other hand, the Ewok movies are far more painful to sit through and were released on VHS and laserdisc, but were still made for television rather than direct to video.

The funny thing is, as I read your post, I overheard people in my office talking about it. They are of the opinion that Lucasarts was undersold and that it was worth a lot more. Something was mentioned about the amount of money they will make off each movie. I just thought it odd about hearing and reading the opposite opinions at the same time.

There has to be quality in the movie or they will not make money and the franchise will be killed. Now can Disney do that?

In their previous track record - sometimes they do and sometimes they do not. As I said time will tell.

Only thought of one bad thing from seeing a commercial on TV last night...

"Star Wars on Ice".

Only thought of one bad thing from seeing a commercial on TV last night...

"Star Wars on Ice".

Could be worse. Someone at Disney could cast Ice in Star Wars!

Yes cos Lucas did so many wonderful things with his idea... *cough* Episode 1 *cough*

Yes cos Lucas did so many wonderful things with his idea... *cough* Episode 1 *cough*

Lucas gave you Star wars.....that should be enough to make up for the mistakes he made along the way, what do you think Disneys evil empire will give you?

Do you think the novelists will get the same freedom (within the canon) they get from lucas now? Hell there probably won't even BE any outside novelists any more.....

Do you think the next movies (which I'm assuming there will be at this point) will deal with war, planetary destruction, a struggle for an entire galaxy? We will probably end up with Pirates of the carribean in space.....and a fucking dancing mouse droid.

Avengers. Your paranoia is invalid. Meanwhile, Jar Jar Binks, a young Anakin going "Yippee!", and Ewoks.

Last edited:
Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Just so i am clear Disney now has the rights to Monkey Island the X-Wing series and all the old adventure games?

oh man maybe we will get a New X-Wing... or a monkey island movie... oh man please let this happen please please please

You're oversimplifying Disney to an extent that I have to question whether you're just ignorant or trolling.
First of all, you're talking about Lucas like everything he did with the franchise he created was right. From my point of view, he did 3 good movies and pretty much the rest of it was shit. And yes this includes episode 3 which benefited from episode 1 and 2 being so much crap that to the audiences it looked like it was something good at last, while if you take a step back and really look into it, is just a messy, full of plot-holes quick batchjob trying to tie all the loose ends from episode 2 to 4.

Star Wars is a film franchise. That's what 95% of people know it for, not the novels, not the video games, the movies.

Disney as all big distribution companies has it's fair bit of hits and misses, as it was pointed out, they released The Avengers and Tron: Legacy, which I think proves they can go into serious subjects without a dancing mouse. Even when they do make animation films for the kids, many of them have deeper tones than just "here look at the pretty colors, kid", Toy Story comes to mind.

I'm not a Disney fan at all, I hated Inspector Gadget and I someone could tell me all the copies of the Pirates of the Caribbean were magically destroyed and I would be like "meh?". I just doubt they'll fuck up as majorly as Lucas himself did with some of the choices he made.

Just so i am clear Disney now has the rights to Monkey Island the X-Wing series and all the old adventure games?

Grim Fandango plox? :D

Last edited:
Urghh.....I can see there is no convincing you people, time will tell, go ahead and bask in the glorious plastic crapfest you will be getting from now on, but I've got a bad feeling about this.

Last edited: