Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucas sells Lucasfilm Ltd and Star Wars franchise for $4 billion...and Ep 7 announced

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucas sells Lucasfilm Ltd and Star Wars franchise for $4 billion...and Ep 7 announced

news too big for a single thread?

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Lucasfilm-Ltd

Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm Ltd.

Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchiseSTAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015

I think everything about this is good news.

Lucas just got $4b. He's happy.

Disney got a huge sum of entertainment production technologies and capabilities.

Disney now gets rights to the biggest cash cow in movie history. Putting it that way makes it sound bad, but no way can Disney screw up a Star Wars movie worse than Lucas. In fact, I think Disney could do good things with it. Now I hope I don't eat those words in 2 years.

Comment

Beat me by a seconds!

Nerds across the net are fucking going nuts. Most of it hate, of course. Seems like that's all anyone wants to do now is piss on everything that comes out.

I will wait to see the film before saying it's a good or bad thing.
      97 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by SpitfireMK461 View Post
        Disney now gets rights to the biggest cash cow in movie history. Putting it that way makes it sound bad, but no way can Disney screw up a Star Wars movie worse than Lucas. In fact, I think Disney could do good things with it. Now I hope I don't eat those words in 2 years.
        Disagree, if they can make $$$ off of it, Disney can easily churn out products worse than the new trilogy and his Lucasified original trilogy. But they're in the position to do a lot of good as well. Time will tell how this plays out. Would be great if they turn to the expanded universe novels as source material.

Comment

Disney was in charge when the Avengers was being made. That's a good sign.
          "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
          -Redliner, ironically

Comment

^ Exactly, the nerd rage was at critical mass then too. God, I hate the people sometime.
            97 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyRacer View Post
              ^ Exactly, the nerd rage was at critical mass then too. God, I hate the people sometime.
              nerds and fans are the best and worst thing about any popular fiction franchise. If there was only a way of separating the sensible, positive ones, from the rest of the pieces of sh**.

Comment

+1 To you sir.
                97 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Star Wars Episode 7: Empire 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by edkwon View Post
                    Disagree, if they can make $$$ off of it, Disney can easily churn out products worse than the new trilogy and his Lucasified original trilogy. But they're in the position to do a lot of good as well. Time will tell how this plays out. Would be great if they turn to the expanded universe novels as source material.
                    Disney isn't one to turn out crap, though. They tend to put out quality stuff.

Comment

Disney isn't one to turn out crap, though. They tend to put out quality stuff.
                      *cough* original home video sequels *cough* you've got your blinders turned only to Disney feature films my friend. Disney's film and tv product range is pretty vast, and there is plenty of junk out there amongst all the gems they produced.

Comment

I'd say they know their audience, turning out stuff that's just crappy/good enough for the kids, fans, whatever who watch them. Let's see if their quality control calibration stays on target for this one.
                        "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
                        -Redliner, ironically

Comment

Originally posted by edkwon View Post
                          *cough* original home video sequels *cough* you've got your blinders turned only to Disney feature films my friend. Disney's film and tv product range is pretty vast, and there is plenty of junk out there amongst all the gems they produced.
                          And you really think they'd make a straight to video Star Wars movie instead of a AAA biggest movie of the year production?

Comment

Its just another movie. If its good, I'll see it. If its not, I won't. Simple as that. Yes, I love Star Wars as much as the next nerd, but its just a movie at the end of the day. I do hate how these things have been built up to be this epic legendary thing. I enjoyed the original trilogy, and thats all that matters about them. Did you enjoy them? I didn't enjoy the new three, but I don't lose sleep over them.

Think of it like this: Lucas won't be able to re-release them with more stupid changes. How many times has Star Wars been released in the theaters, VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, or Laserdisc? Its the same movie over and over. Finally, something new can be done.

Comment

I do not think that move on Disney's part was smart actually, and they over paid - time will tell.

Comment

And you really think they'd make a straight to video Star Wars movie instead of a AAA biggest movie of the year production?
                                I knew someone would say that and no, not the point i'm trying to back. Of course they would bring out their A game behind SW feature films but whomever originally said Disney has a flawless track record is incredibly biased. Don't make ridiculous assumptions based on what I said, you know that is not that case.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobol74 View Post
                                  I do not think that move on Disney's part was smart actually, and they over paid - time will tell.
                                  The funny thing is, as I read your post, I overheard people in my office talking about it. They are of the opinion that Lucasarts was undersold and that it was worth a lot more. Something was mentioned about the amount of money they will make off each movie. I just thought it odd about hearing and reading the opposite opinions at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Shentar View Post
                                    The funny thing is, as I read your post, I overheard people in my office talking about it. They are of the opinion that Lucasarts was undersold and that it was worth a lot more. Something was mentioned about the amount of money they will make off each movie. I just thought it odd about hearing and reading the opposite opinions at the same time.
                                    Armchair entertainment economists at their finest. Unless you work for a finance company w business clients. then your coworkers may actually know what they're talking about

Comment

Now Disney can add another princess to their list

Comment

Thank Christ. Now maybe I can get the original, unmolested, holy trilogy on bluray without all the shitty "improvements" Lucas stuffed into them.

I haven't read anything yet, but I was once a huge fan of the Star Wars novels, so I know there is some excellent material out there for future films. I'm happy about this change of ownership.

Comment

Working...
                                        X