Post Your Watches

Rolex is so interesting as a company. People are so split about them, yet they're a worldwide known company. They're basically completely self sufficient doing everything themselves from the metal smelting to the design and manufacture and final assembly. That's a silly big achievement right there. And yet they crank out ~1 million watches a year, all of which are made to good high standards, as of this year now all of their watches will meet their own 'superlative chronometer' standards of running between -2 and +2 seconds per day (when the industry standard COSC chronometer standard is between -4 and +6 seconds per day), and they offer 5 year warranties. The movements are very reliable, and while they aren't finished like the super high end names they are at least quite well done. They're overall really great watches, and about the only thing not so good is the price point, but considering everything it's completely justified.

All are such nice looking timepieces.

Oh, and just to balance out the praise, there's also this.... thing.

bFeAl4h.jpg

From my understanding the ceramic bezel will be on sale alongside the steel bezel model too.

The updates on the explorer have me seriously considering one now. The new air king is....interesting. The dial looks too busy to my eyes but I like the concept of a deblinged milgauss.

As for that......thing above......I'm sure somebody loves it.

Last edited:
Rolex is so interesting as a company. People are so split about them, yet they're a worldwide known company. They're basically completely self sufficient doing everything themselves from the metal smelting to the design and manufacture and final assembly. That's a silly big achievement right there. And yet they crank out ~1 million watches a year, all of which are made to good high standards, as of this year now all of their watches will meet their own 'superlative chronometer' standards of running between -2 and +2 seconds per day (when the industry standard COSC chronometer standard is between -4 and +6 seconds per day), and they offer 5 year warranties. The movements are very reliable, and while they aren't finished like the super high end names they are at least quite well done. They're overall really great watches, and about the only thing not so good is the price point, but considering everything it's completely justified.

I am probably completely wrong here but anyway :lol: :
I feel like Rolex hits a sweet spot for a really wide audience. The watches are expensive, but not ridiculously expensive. The design is classic, but without feeling dated and with hints of modernity. It's the brand I aim to own, mostly because I feel I would be paying for quality instead of exclusivity or expensive materials. They still feel like something your wear, a timepiece, not simply jewelry.

i can't help but think that most rolex looks boring

i like my watch shiny, even if it's only a tissot...

I'm with you. I respect them, but I don't lust after them. Every Rolex looks like "a Rolex"...and it just doesn't appeal to me very much.

Rolex is so interesting as a company...

Actually... I have a friend who is a rock musician and he wears Rolex for a very simple reason. That?s the way to get proper service in stores in USA - because otherwise he doesn?t. You know how finnish rock musicians look a bit out of place in fancy stores, right?

Every salesman recognises a Rolex :cool:

Sure, Rolex's are nice watches, but is a Daytona twice the watch of a Speedmaster? It's more than double in price. To me it isnt.

Post Your Watches

But then i think the Speedmaster is now also overpriced, especially since all they did recently was put it in a ridiculous presentation box and increase the price. If we are talking about value for money than Tudor is probably a better pick - especially now that they are switching over to their in-house movements with very little price penalty.

I would say you get a more interesting movement in the Daytona, but the Speedmaster does have a rich heritage like the Submariner and its a great you can still go out and buy a brand new "vintage watch". The Daytona would hold its value better though.

Actually... I have a friend who is a rock musician and he wears Rolex for a very simple reason. That?s the way to get proper service in stores in USA - because otherwise he doesn?t. You know how finnish rock musicians look a bit out of place in fancy stores, right?

I think its not just the US. Everyone knows what a Rolex is and that they are expensive watches...walk around a place like Hong Kong and you will seem them everywhere, from the checkout staff at a supermarket to a lawyer or investment banker. Also they wont just look at the fact that you are wearing a Rolex; they will look at which model Rolex you are wearing to try and gauge how "well-off" you are.

Last edited:
That whole watch one-upmanship game is tiring; I'll peak at a Seiko Spring Drive and be satisfied with that. I'm quite okay with the fact that it's the Lexus LS600h of watches.

I don't think I've ever had a salesman check out my watch :| I also don't think I've ever been treated differently because of my watch.

As far as Rolex is concerned, I don't like their watches on general principle. I generally dislike pretentious products.

As far as Rolex is concerned, I don't like their watches on general principle. I generally dislike pretentious products.
Finally, something we can agree on. :D
In my opinion, Rolex watches are just ugly. They literally scream "more money than taste" (which is a helpful hint to salespeople seeing a customer wearing one, of course). It doesn't help that most of them (that I've seen pictures of) are golden, and golden jewellery can never look good on light-skinned people.

Last edited:
Sure, Rolex's are nice watches, but is a Daytona twice the watch of a Speedmaster? It's more than double in price. To me it isnt.

If we're talking chronographs I'd personally go for a Zenith El Primero. Proper high beat at 36k bph for true 1/10 second accuracy, in-house column wheel movement, a bit more than half the price of the Daytona.

Or you could go for a Ralph Lauren Sporting chronograph, which has a JLC manufacture movement for about $7000.

This week in Austin I've seen three surf-bum-looking scruffy early-30-something white dudes in t-shirts and board shorts and flip-flops who made way too much money in some tech startup to afford their nonchalantly vagrant lifestyle wearing Rolex Explorers.

If you're rich, you just buy one because that's what you're supposed to do when you're rich. But hey, what do I know. I'm wearing an old Waltham I got on eBay for $30 at the moment.

Breitling > Rolex.

Although I'm biased of course.

Breitling > Rolex.

Although I'm biased of course.

The only "issue" I have with Breitling is that the majority of their movements seem to be off-the-shelf Valjoux or ETA stock.