Post your animated GIFs thread (56k takes a bus)

You mean exactly like the caption says right under the gif? How original of you. :p

Look at the phrasing differences.

You are still explaining the joke...

Maybe my funny meter is just way off today. Maybe phrasing another way would help.

That is indeed a way to get a head.

Whatever, like it it or not, I give up.

Afternoon, chaps. What's afoot?

While it might not look as sleek as the GIF, I got something similar:

IMG_20140122_161048.jpg

That's a picture I took while standing on top of a (running) reactor used for scientific experiments. Seeing Cherenkov radiaton with your own eyes and knowing that all that's seperating you from a controlled nuclear fission is a bit of water was quite the experience.

Danger be damned, I want to someday visit a nuclear reactor.

It's when the electrons coming off the reaction are travelling faster than the phase velocity of light in the medium. Freaky.

Danger be damned, I want to someday visit a nuclear reactor.

Being a scientist has its perks :D

Depending on your field of work you get access to rather crazy stuff. For instance I visit serveral synchrotrons per year and I've kind of given up on explaining to friends and family what they do... or what I do, for that matter.

Being a scientist has its perks :D

Depending on your field of work you get access to rather crazy stuff. For instance I visit serveral synchrotrons per year and I've kind of given up on explaining to friends and family what they do... or what I do, for that matter.

Cool! If I ever visit Switzerland, can I go too? :lol:

I visited Gentilly 2 when I was a kid.

I also visited Manic 2 and 5 (hydro-electrical dam and stations).

I don't know if you can still tour all of those.

Edit: The Gentilly reactor started decommissioning in 2012, so I guess no more visits. Manic 2 and 5 still have free tours.

Last edited: