Do you judge people on the Forums by their post count?

Do you judge people on the Forums by their post count?

• Total voters

cdbob

Car(s)
'09 STi (soon gone),'04 TDi, '96 MX-5 M
It's something I've been thinking about and is probably true but let's make an annoying poll just to make sure.

My post count is sky high, you're welcome to judge me as you see fit.

No I don't. Anyone can sit around all day and post on forums. It doesn't make them cooler, better, more reputable, etc.

I have noticed on this forum that there aren't many nobheads who have a high post count. They seem to get weeded out early on.

I dont know.. Just take a look at my post count, and my join date (which in theory is older because I do remember the site when it was still tied to Vipers blog and there was no real forum). I will dare to say, I might be the oldest member on the site that is non-admin/mod.
I just have a life, so I dont post all day long.

People who can't shut up, tend to know little. About the only thing I can judge based on post count is how much of a life that person lacks.

I wonder how many of the people with 1500 or more posts on this forum could tell me how a carb works let alone how to rebuild one. Post count means dick.

I post when bored, which is a lot. I do, suprisingly, have a life. Really!

Nope. I do however use them to weigh people's posts (i.e. I'll believe someone with 500+ posts over someone who has 5 posts).

I wonder how many of the people with 1500 or more posts on this forum could tell me how a carb works let alone how to rebuild one. Post count means dick.

or give two shits is probably a better question ;)
You don't need to know the nitty gritty to enjoy motoring.

No, if a person has a low post count, it just means they have a life.

If I voted yes, would i be discriminating against infrequent posters? Am I a post-ist? Am I a low-post-a-phobic?

Yes, I do. I don't necessarily discount what someone with a low post count has to say because they are new or infrequent posters - but it does mean that I have a stronger relationship with more active members. I can tell when they are joking and I give them more leeway when it comes to some things.

I don't like seeing someone with a single-digit post count come in and start acting like he owns the place.

Judge them purely on their post count? No, but it does get weighed up along with other things like the quality of their posts, how long they've been around, their behaviour towards other members, and how mature and reasoned their posts are.

Judge them purely on their post count? No, but it does get weighed up along with other things like the quality of their posts, how long they've been around, their behaviour towards other members, and how mature and reasoned their posts are.

Well said :thumbup:

fbc summed it up pretty well there.

I'm with fbc, Blind, and Viper on this one. The post count is also a good indicator of how connected with our little community someone is. If there is one thing above all else that I judge people on it would be how they actually write. I think much more highly of people who take the time to use correct spelling and shift key. To me these are the people who genuinely put thought and effort into what they say instead of just saying something to say it.

Oh and I know all too well how carbs work and how to take them apart. My bike's got 4 of the little buggers and they're a royal pain in the buttocks when it comes time to clean them. But as Hidden_Hunter said you don't need to know that kind of stuff to be an automotive enthusiast. Heck Clarkson admitted he doesn't really know how an engine works, and he's a doctor of engineering! :lol: