The Gun thread

That's an optic on my list to check out as well, heard nothing but good things.

Change of plans.

I was not happy with the Primary Arms 1-8x for the type of shooting I do with my 308, so that optic will go on my future AR15, and I got this on the 308:

unD2Zeq.jpg

Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP MRAD

Details of the reticle :

Last edited:
Oh darn. Now you have to go shoot more to get it sighted in.

I could see something similar to that for mine in the future. I've got a basic 3-9x40 on mine but eventually I'd like something that will make it easier to see out to 5-600 yds.

I don't have any pics right now, but I picked up a S&W 1006 from a pawn shop for 650 bucks.

In my infinite wisdom, I decided that my nearly 5 year old PSA upper M4 profile 16" barrel on a Spikes lower with plain jane MOE furniture needed sprucing up. My goal was a semi-modernized M4 type variant like the US military was issuing in the mid-'00s to soldiers in the sandbox. So I bought a BCM 7" QRF so I could retain the FSB and got a B5 SOPMOD stock since I'm also a Mk18 fanboy. Well, had I known what a pain in the ass it'd be to do this rail install, I think I would have just started with a fresh upper.

The FSB pins were a huge PITA to remove. Don't bother with a flat tipped punch, you'll get nowhere, as I learned over about two hours of intermittent wailing on the things. Buy a 3/32" or larger nail set if you're going to buy the wrong tools. Then buy another set because you mushroom the first one. Just get a real tapered pin punch. Besides getting nail sets, the other best advice off Arfcom was "if you think you're hitting it hard, hit it harder."

Pro-tip: don't let your palm get pinched between the front barrel opening of the FSB and the grenade launching ring of an M4 profile barrel. You'll bleed if you do it right.

Picture taken after the bleeding stopped
oREp66C.jpg

I thought my troubles were behind me, but no, the AR gods did not shine down on me. No, they took a steamy shit right on my barrel index pin.

Probably because I took this picture threatening much pain to the barrel nut if it didn't yield.

Note: I did not actually use a vise-grip like a fucking savage, I have a proper Magpul armorer's wrench that worked a treat.
HA6XDxj.jpg

And yield the barrel nut eventually did. And holy shit, that thing was definitely torqued beyond the maximum recommended 80 ft/lbs. I applied heat from my heat gun, blasted it with Deep Creep, and wailed on my armorer's wrench with a rubber mallet until it finally started moving. I should have known something was off by how tough and gritty it was to still move.

Well, fuck.
1QtHVr9.jpg

And the inside of the upper is scratched up a bit now as well, which makes me question reusing it. Anyway, thought you all might enjoy my trip down fuck-up lane.

I guess I now have an "excuse" to buy a nicer upper and barrel now...

I am SO glad I bought a complete upper for my build. Just building the lower will be enough for a first experience.

Putting an upper together is usually a lot easier than getting one apart.

They must have greased the barrel extension but not the nut. Or who knows what. Weird the nut would grab the barrel enough to shear the pin. I don't know if I'll ever build one with the FSB. I don't much fancy the idea of having to get the pins out if I ever needed to do something to it.

It definitely didn’t help that I’d put over a thousand rounds through it at this point. I’ve decided to take the thing to a smith to see if they can save it. I started putting my parts list together and it was nearing $500 with a DD CHF barrel and an Aero upper. I need to buy a sight for the FAL before I blow that kind of coin on AR crap.

Der Stig;n3549888 said:
I guess I now have an "excuse" to buy a nicer upper and barrel now...

*cough*

My PWS upper has been amazing; it runs so much cleaner and colder than gas impingement.

Do it. Seriously. It's the AR-15 upper for the AK-47 lover.

Was tempted to post this in "Show us your Lego!" thread...

This arrived:

gUDnLUW.jpg

So excited, can't wait to put it all together!

OZhWl30.jpg

Last edited:
Built 99% complete:

XR4tcOg.jpg

Only thing missing is the VG6 Precision Epsilon muzzle brake. I tried putting it on, but it wouldn't index in the correct position with the provided crush washer, so back to the A2 muzzle device for now.

Weight 6.6 lbs (including an empty PMAG 5/30) with just the iron sights, 8.4 lbs with the optic (on a QD mount).

Try another crush washer. You can go nearly a full revolution around to index the device if you need to. Just tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen, etc until you work around to your index point.

Be sure to clamp the barrel, not the upper, in your vise when you tighten the muzzle device. Otherwise you can shear the barrel index pin off and/or crack the upper.

Why the irons and the optic? When I switched from the Eotech to the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x I ditched the irons as superfluous.

Well, I just bought one of those Star pistols... I think it's a B Super.

It was $150 bucks at a local pawn shop, why the fuck not?

Blind_Io;n3550893 said:
Why the irons and the optic? When I switched from the Eotech to the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x I ditched the irons as superfluous.

No real need for them, but I didn't have irons on my AR10, decided to do things differently on this one.

The rear one cannot even deploy with the scope in place, but since the scope is on a QD mount, I can easily get it off if needed.

Blind_Io;n3550893 said:
Not a bad idea to have BUIS in case the optic breaks (unlikely, I know) or you just want to shoot with iron sights. The QD mount makes it easy to go back and forth between the optic and the irons and it's not like they weigh a lot.

Welp, instead of being responsible and finishing building my AR travesty...I bought a PTR built C93 HK93 clone.

FkMYP96.jpg

Took the carry handle off and put my old PTR lower and PTR aluminum hand guard on.
HWlsocn.jpg

Detail pics

Put one hundred rounds through it and it ran great. Tried four Hk mags and one ProMag (other one needs fitting). Trigger is better than my PTR91. Shoots nicely and overall, I’m very happy.