Slate Story How “boys/men treat girls/women”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slate Story How “boys/men treat girls/women”

But most pressingly, after witnessing Kavanaugh’s and Trump’s outbursts, I’ve considered my 7-year-old son. What can I do to shape him into a respectful man—one who doesn’t assault women, most importantly, but who also doesn’t make lewd jokes, grab butts, mock victims, or generally treat women as if they’re inferior?

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...for-women.html

This is something that’s perplexed me. When and where do these people feel that it’s ok to touch women? Why has this carried on so long. Why haven’t we moved on as a society (at least in USA)? I’ve always grown up being told “hands off” and “no means no.” The phrases like “man up!” Or “Stop crying!” were said when I was young. While it probably had some lasting effects somewhere in my mental health, I’ve never thought that I am superior over anyone.

Stories like these frustrate me to no end. Especially being a guy, getting lumped into the same group as the disgusting men that see such things as touching women as normal because “they were asking for it.”
    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
    2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

You are citing a far-left source that's complaining about Kavanaugh despite there being absolutely no evidence that he ever did anything inappropriate. I'm more concerned about boys because they can be accused of anything by anyone with no evidence and then crucified, like so many college students have been. The fact is that there is no "rape culture" because we, as a society, absolutely do not tolerate sexual assault..... as long as there's evidence that it occurred. I'm fact we've gone too far the other way - just look at Azis Ansari who got accused of rape by a woman who voluntarily went out with him, voluntarily went to his place afterwards, chose not to leave when he flirted with her, voluntarily slept with him, but then regretted it in the morning and screamed "rape".
    "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
    2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post

Stories like these frustrate me to no end. Especially being a guy, getting lumped into the same group as the disgusting men that see such things as touching women as normal because “they were asking for it.”

Oh dear, you have fallen into identity politics and have unwillingly discovered that most fun of its characteristics. Bundling everyone (males in this case) as a single unit to be easily labeled and/or dismissed.

Fortunately, the solution is to not pay attention to anyone doing this like when anyone says that "The internet" has decided to do [INSERT ANYTHING HERE]. Failing to do so will end up with you attempting to virtue signal into the "superior" group or to have any view you've ever had dismissed on account of you being...anything really (Male, white, conservative, living on a city that disagrees with whatever zeitgeist is popular, Liking a brand, even having a product of a brand)

<Ice> Oh, you're the kiddy anime guy.
      "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
      John F. Kennedy

Comment

Yeah, I see a lot of these types of stories.

Comment

Originally posted by LeVeL View Post
          You are citing a far-left source that's complaining about Kavanaugh despite there being absolutely no evidence that he ever did anything inappropriate. I'm more concerned about boys because they can be accused of anything by anyone with no evidence and then crucified, like so many college students have been. The fact is that there is no "rape culture" because we, as a society, absolutely do not tolerate sexual assault..... as long as there's evidence that it occurred. I'm fact we've gone too far the other way - just look at Azis Ansari who got accused of rape by a woman who voluntarily went out with him, voluntarily went to his place afterwards, chose not to leave when he flirted with her, voluntarily slept with him, but then regretted it in the morning and screamed "rape".
          He's citing "a far-left source" while you are apparently adopting "far right" views which are equally exaggerated.

Yes, there is sexual harassment, rape and whatnot.

Yes, there are false accusations.

Both sides are broadly exaggerated by their respective media outlets, unfortunately both sides are so loud that moderate views seem to be oppressed which IMHO is the real problem here.

God damn it, does it have to be "us vs. them", "left vs. right", "democrats vs. republicans", "USA vs. all the other countries" instead of "let's work together and compromise to eradicate both sexual harassment, rape, whatnot and false accusations" (applies to other fields as well)? This is so tiring in a world which IMHO generally gets better for most people...
          Why E10? I'm driving E46...

Comment

How dare you try and use reason and sensibility to change the dynamics of an argument!!!

/sarcasm
            "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

We’ve gone from 'Hope and Change' to 'Hope and Change Your Story.' -Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Eye-Q View Post
              God damn it, does it have to be "us vs. them", "left vs. right", "democrats vs. republicans", "USA vs. all the other countries" instead of "let's work together and compromise to eradicate both sexual harassment, rape, whatnot and false accusations" (applies to other fields as well)? This is so tiring in a world which IMHO generally gets better for most people...
              B-b-b-but if I don't have an enemy who am I going to blame my personal problems on!?!? There also won't be any easy way for a political party to re-enforce my prejudices in order to gain easy support against their opposition...

Nope, sorry. Ain't gonna' work. Gotta' accept that everything is getting worse and the only way to fix things is get very angry at everybody who isn't me.

Comment

Originally posted by captain_70s View Post
                Gotta' accept that everything is getting worse and the only way to fix things is get very angry at everybody who isn't me.
                Exactly. Because you're [sic] own ideas are always the best, so everybody who isn't you must have inferior ones. Those people are barely even human, they might as well be apes.

disclaimer for LeVeL and his ilk: That was sarcasm. Enjoy taking it completely out of context should you ever feel like it, thereby proving the point.

Comment

I’ve worked with a couple of those “everybody is an idiot” and it’s not fun.

Comment

The Question is - how do we change stuff?
                    How do we teach the people in next generation that "trying to get close to someone" needs consent? That it's not ok to fill someone up with alcohol or drugs untill they cannot make a choice anymore and then try to have your way with them. That even when you have consentual intercourse with someone, it's still not ok to do stuff the other person hasn't agreed to.
                    Or that it's not ok to use a inbalance in power (in the workplace or otherwise) to blackmail someone into having sex with you. That it's not ok to "persue" someone after they've already told you to go away.
                    We cannot change the past, but how do we make sure these simple things that should fall under "don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to yourself" a reality for the future?

(You may notice that I did use gender neutral language here.)

beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

Comment

This is something that's struck me as odd because, it seems to have been taught to some children but not all as you still see people not getting the hint or having self control...

Shoot these people, allow them to contract a disgusting rash. I don't know what else to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X