The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

^good luck trying to land it.

nsx-23, that image is awesome and I hope I'll be able tom make something like that (drawing). but how much freedom does the pilot have when landing in terms of being level? Just seems like the engines are a bit far out/low. Then again, you know much more about it than anyone.

Difficult to say really.

The problem is that as this is only a preliminary design, many things are still subjective to change if this was real-life, and so flight characteristics will alter as a result.

Difficult to say really.

The problem is that as this is only a preliminary design, many things are still subjective to change if this was real-life, and so flight characteristics will alter as a result.

I may only be a pilot and not an aerodynamicist, but I can tell you that aircraft in its current form would be nigh-on unflyable, as none of the wings/stabilisers have any dihedral. As such, this aircraft would probably Dutch roll like, well, whatever Dutch thing gave this flight mode it's name.

Also, there are much more efficient (yet similarly packaged) engines than RR Tays these days.

what is this and can I buy 2 please?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_XFY

You'll need two. After you crash the first one trying to land you can keep the second for just looking at. You'll have to have the second built from scratch though.

also, great line from that wikipedia article
The Navy tail-sitter VTOL program was a failure. The XFY and XFV contributed nothing to the development of modern VTOL aircraft.
:lmao:

I may only be a pilot and not an aerodynamicist, but I can tell you that aircraft in its current form would be nigh-on unflyable, as none of the wings/stabilisers have any dihedral. As such, this aircraft would probably Dutch roll like, well, whatever Dutch thing gave this flight mode it's name.

Also, there are much more efficient (yet similarly packaged) engines than RR Tays these days.

Its only a uni project, so we only have certian things to work with here. At the end of the day, its just a learning experience.

Obviously, in real life there would be may more things to change. :p I'm still a student.

Last edited:
500x_387690main_x48c-2-800.jpg

500x_387687main_x48c-1-800.jpg

NASA Wind tunnel soon to be decomissioned.

Last edited:
no way. I just saw a Globemaster III. The last non-maritime CAF aircraft I had yet to see (I've seen most of those too though). Better yet, this time I was armed with a camera, as I was walking my dog in the forest (reason for the trees) and taking pictures. I heard a loud airplane approaching, I assumed it was just going to be a 727, but it kept getting louder and louder and still wasn't overhead, and then I saw it and was like "no way". I don't know what was going on but I saw an Outlaw (retired Griffon used for training) followed by a Herc, followed by the Globemaster, followed by what must have been every Dash 8 from the base. Not in super quick succession, but yeah.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/ra/ramseus/2009/10/13/CRW_1629.jpg

Last edited:
^ Another example of:

? .. beating the laws of physics into submission?.
James May

(See also, Helicopters.)
:)

Lately I've been seeing more and more C-17s, B-52s, and Ch-47s. Probably because I've just recently moved to a place near an Air Force Reserve base.

god dammit

you were lucky to have your camera for that Ramseus

A C-5 flew over my house the other night at sunset, it was crazy low and loud and it looked awesome in the evening light

and I was at home, so of course I thought, oh sweet, I finally have my camera and something awesome to use it on!

but for some reason, my camera had no batteries in it

BLARG

KaJuN is unimpressed with your aircraft sightings.

Thing's I've seen fly over my place of residence in recent weeks:
C-130, KC-135, E-3, F-15, F-16, F-18, F-22, C-17, C-5, P-3, Harrier, Chinook, HH-60, KC-10, 747, 757, 767, MD-11, DC-9, King Air, Gulfstream 5, Cessna 172

IIIIIIIII am the championssssss my friiiiiiiennnnnd :cool:

Have you seriously seen a 172? What did it sound like? I've never seen more than 1 at the same time. What was it like?

Well I remember being taken on a tour of the INS Viraat (used to be the HMS Hermes) which is an aircraft carrier here in India.and seeing some Sea-Harriers.
Dont they take a lot of Fuel? Also the Navy guy giving us the tour said there were a few other planes in the INS,
I think they were Mig 29, and HAL Tejas,
heard of them?

Also have personally seen the IAF Mig-30 MKI, Mig 21, Jaguar and Mirage 2000(not sure),
the most impressive of the lot was the Mig-30 MKI,
My cousin who is an IAF pilot currntly flies Mig 30,
but used to fly the Mig 21 (called here as the "Flying coffin")which he says was really bad to land, especially on windy days up in the north near the Himalayas

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blayde/2009/10/16/02052_theredarrows_1024x768.jpg

The Royal Air Force Red Arrows Aerobatic Team. Taken during a display in Jersey, Channel Islands, UK on 10 September, 2009.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 70-200mm 2.8 IS Lens, 1.4 Extender, Polariser.