The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

any images of the tail damage? In the video it is from far away and i would like a closer look if there are any photo's.

Also what was the reason behind the damage anyways?

News:

ABC News - Fugitive steals SkyWest plane; commits suicide

Wiki said:
On July 17, 2012, a SkyWest Airlines Bombardier CRJ200, Delta Connection aircraft, was stolen by a SkyWest employee on leave, and substantially damaged at the airport. The terminal and a jetway also were damaged

The report claims that the guy was wanted in connection with a murder in Colorado.
The airport was closed at the time, he started up the CRJ and then taxied around hitting various parts of the airport.

What his plan was will now probably never be known.

So I start my ATPL Training tomorrow. To say I'm excited is a huge understatement.

Congratulations! :thumbsup:
(Post your progress if/when you are allowed.)

any images of the tail damage? In the video it is from far away and i would like a closer look if there are any photo's.

Also what was the reason behind the damage anyways?

No better images that I could find. But from what I could gather from a few russian pages about the incident, the fly-by-wire system failed during a turn (at the start of the video; you can hear him count "6.. 7.. 8.. *unintelligible* 15... 16... *beep* fluctuations", which I guess is the g-force reading is the angle of attack reading, as further research has shown), the elevator got stuck at full upwards deflection, and the horizontal stabilizer partially disintegrated.

Last edited:
In other news...

http://www.rferl.org/content/two-russian-bombers-to-fly-to-united-states/24648213.html

The head of Russia's Long Range Air Force says two Russian Tu-95MS strategic bombers will fly to an air base in the United States next year under an agreement reached between U.S. and Russian military representatives.

General Anatoly Zhikharev said two Russian bombers would land at Barksdale air base in Louisiana and that later that year two U.S. B-52 strategic bombers would visit Russia's Engels air base in the Saratov region.

Zhikharev said he believed that this form of cooperation "will develop further."

Which reminded me of an aviation books answer, I saw on another forum.

FAA - Aviation Handbooks & Manuals

These are PDFs which work* in the UK and may be useful & interesting to some FG members.

:smile:

*The ones I looked at, anyway.

Last edited:
Here's a question for you guys.

What can you tell me about private pilot licenses?

How easy is it to get one? How much does it usually cost to go through all the training? What do I do when I get a license, do I get my own plane or can I rent one? How far can I fly with the basic license?

I'm really interested in getting one. :D

oh, i totally forgot to mention, i finished "acquiring and digitizing" Sled Driver, its now in clean ebook format if anyone wants :) PM me for a link, keep it with yourselves also, i did this only because of the ridiculous price tag and lack of ebook version, and its worth reading.

Thanks a million for this! I'm about half way through the book, and the quality is really good, much better than many OCR'd ebooks I've read. Very nice pictures, too - a joy to read on a tablet.

It was a combination of OCR and editing, i rearranged the book a bit to fit a pdf/tablet layout, all of the formatting i tried to copy as much from the original but it was tedious and slow going

Is there a difference in the way the pressure cabins in Airbus and Boeing aircrafts are (de-)pressurized? I think I got worse problems getting my ears depressurized in Airbus aircrafts than in Boeings...

So, I live 2 miles from LAX. And on my way to work this morning, I got to see this taking off:

3216629747_88f2a6c577_o.jpg

Voodoo 1, which is a modified Boeing 727 that Raytheon uses to test their avionics equipment. Their Space and Airborne Systems facility is down the street from my work. (Coincidentally, I have a friend who ended up working there.)

That fucker was LOUD. Being a plane geek and living next to the 8th busiest airport in the world has its advantages.

oh, i totally forgot to mention, i finished "acquiring and digitizing" Sled Driver, its now in clean ebook format if anyone wants :) PM me for a link, keep it with yourselves also, i did this only because of the ridiculous price tag and lack of ebook version, and its worth reading.

:O May I have please?

Happy Birthday flyinhawaiian. :thumbsup:

Here's a question for you guys.

What can you tell me about private pilot licenses?

I'm really interested in getting one. :D

That's really good! It can be great fun, if expensive.

I'll leave your questions to the US pilots as it is different over there, especially costs.

You should be OK in California, availability-wise, there must be lots of good flight schools in the state and great weather too.

Last edited:
It's actually not that expensive at all. My co-worker nearly has his and just rents a Cessna by the hour.

Happy Birthday flyinhawaiian. :thumbsup:

That's really good! It can be great fun, if expensive.

I'll leave your questions to the US pilots as it is different over there, especially costs.

You should be OK in California, availability-wise, there must be lots of good flight schools in the state and great weather too.

Hey thanks bud!!

As for getting your license in the US, there's a few options you can go. If you want to get your full Private Pilot's License, you're going to be looking at $8-10,000 when its all said and done. You're probably going to pay $100-125/hr for the aircraft rental, and probably in the neighborhood of $50/hr for the instructor (most of that goes to the flight school and insurance if (s)he's doing it on his/her own). It takes a minimum of 40 hours to get your license, but the national average is closer to 60. The more often you fly, the better you learn and the fewer hours you have to spend re-learning what you've forgotten since the last lesson. 2-3 lessons per week is a good goal to shoot for.

You could also look into getting your Sport-Pilot license, which has quite a few more restrictions (mainly the type of aircraft and conditions you can fly in) on it, but is significantly cheaper. You can look to cut about 1/3 of the cost of the full license in that case...

Your first place to look in signing in at www.aopa.org - they represent all the general aviation pilots in the US and are THE authority on where to get instruction closest to you. They also put out a few really amazing magazines on flight training and flying. I used to work for them and its an amazing organization.

In other news, today is also the 10th anniversary of my first powered flight solo!

Highlights from the Farnborough Air Show last weekend. Sadly couldn't find KaJuN in the crowd, but I spent most of my time staring upwards.

A huge Air Force cargo plane unexpectedly landed at a tiny island airport yesterday, screeching to halt within just 10 feet from the end of the runway.
The 174-foot-long jet was supposed to land across Florida?s Hillsborough Bay at MacDill Air Force Base but instead touched down at the Peter O.Knight Airport.
Although very different in size, the runways at the two locations are aligned in the same direction and it is not clear if the pilot landed at the civilian airport accidentally or whether there was a technical problem.

article-2176884-1427E926000005DC-39_634x377.jpg