The "Things that annoy me" thread

:mad: On a similar note, bra shopping for the too-well-endowed is absolutely exasperating. It'd be nice if designers could put a little padding in a G-cup size; not for the extra bulk, you understand--that's about the last thing I want--but for, um, modesty. In the interest of not having to wear a hoodie when it's just a little chilly, you see.

I feel like maybe I've just revealed waaaaay too much about myself here . . . .

Okay, I'm a DUDE and I have problems finding shirts that do not require a sweatshirt on account of nippliness. It's supremely silly.

I have to agree the trend for ultra thin fabric shirts showing off massive nippleage is seriously annoying. I don't want to buy 4 of your $40 "tissue" tshirts just to be slightly modest! They aren't flattering on anyone anyway.

It also annoys me when people log into IM, send you a message, and then are too busy to chat. If you're too busy to chat for a few minutes, why'd you send me a message to begin with?

I have to agree the trend for ultra thin fabric shirts showing off massive nippleage is seriously annoying. I don't want to buy 4 of your $40 "tissue" tshirts just to be slightly modest! They aren't flattering on anyone anyway.

I have shirts that I bought at concerts 10 years ago that get worn and washed at LEAST once a month, and they are fine. Then, I have two American Apparel t-shirts. 1 is falling apart after 4 washes, and the other reacted with my deoderant, so it's a dark gray shirt with orange armpits...so I've only worn it twice. The 2nd time, I wore it to bed.

It also annoys me when people log into IM, send you a message, and then are too busy to chat. If you're too busy to chat for a few minutes, why'd you send me a message to begin with?

These are the same people who are somewhere important/solem, answer their ringing phone and say "Hey, I can't talk right now. I'll talk to you later? Okay...bye."

WTF was the point of that? Just let them leave a fucking message. And yes. Yes, you can call them later.

edit: Also, when commercials and ads refer to "digital" as if it is some sort of quality level. "Digital quality." That means nothing. And, chances are, if they are using verbage like that, it's actually quite sucky.

This is a "digtal quality" photo. See my point?
gugli.jpg

Last edited:
edit: Also, when commercials and ads refer to "digital" as if it is some sort of quality level. "Digital quality." That means nothing. And, chances are, if they are using verbage like that, it's actually quite sucky.

This is a "digtal quality" photo. See my point?
gugli.jpg

Alright, time for a rant :)

The word "digital", used in the wrong context, annoys me a lot.

One has to blame Philips and Sony for that, the inventors of the CD. They somehow managed to make people believe by clever marketing, that digital is better, digital is the future, while analogue is bad, analogue is old. It worked so well, that people later even spoke of "digital sound".

Only what everyone forgot, was that the human sense of hearing doesn't work digital. It works with soundwaves, with tiny differences in air pressure. So the digital signal source has to be converted into an analogue sound wave.

When hifi enthusiasts blamed the CD for sounding worse than a vinyl record, it was that process of transforming bits and bytes into soundwaves, that was responsible for it. The first CD players were utter crap (most still are today) but everyone got blinded, or rather deafened by the lack of noise and crackles while listening to music. The problem ist mainly solved now (in good players, that is) but you still get to hear that people like the "digital sound".

I always say to them: "You want clear, straight digital sound? Right, dial a fax number and listen to the noises it makes. There you have your digital sound! Ain't that great?" In the home computer stone age, at the beginning of the 1980's, you could also listen to a Commodore "datasette" on your hifi tape deck for fun. That also was "digital sound" at its best.

Fact is, that music you hear on your hifi or even your iPod, is still an analogue signal. It's still the same in the same way a nuclear power plant is still nothing more than a steam engine.

The whole "digital revolution" has now led to people listening to mp3 on their iPods on earphones, which will probably make them partially deaf before they even turn 50. The CD was invented to create better sound in hifi but in hindsight it has to be said, that it is responsible for ruining it completely.

Scientists have actually noticed a dramatic decrease of sensory perceptual skills in young people today (and that means you, 15-to-30-year-old reader of this post ;)).
Especially the hearing and the sense of taste are currently regressing in a kind of massive evolutionary backwards development thanks to "digital sound" and fast food. The food industry has massive difficulties in finding junior staff for their R&D departments, because 8 out of 10 cannot even tell the difference between broccoli and cauliflower with a blindfold on.

All that annoys me, because it means that sooner or later the industry will adapt and simply produce goods, that won't fulfill higher demands anymore. I can only hope for the success of counter movements like "Slow Food".

----------------

Another thing that annoys me a lot, is when you get a rental car and it reeks of nicotine inside and has a small coat of carcinogenic substances on the windows, which you have to clean off first, unless you like to look through a foggy windscreen at night that simply doesn't clear up with using the fan.

The car rentals fine you, when you don't fill the car up before you bring it back. They should also fine people for leaving toxines in the car with a half life of several years. I guess the price of an ozone cleaning of the whole interior would be appropriate.

To all the smokers out there: Consume your cigarettes and cigars. I'm not the type of guy who wants to forbid or ban smoking entirely. So keep on enjoying your tobacco consumption and have a pleasant, untimely death.

Only leave me (and all the other non-drug addicts, especially children) out of it.

Just a little consideration.

That's not overcharging, is it?

Last edited:
I hear ya on the misuse of the word digital. I've completely given up trying to explain it. The other one that gets my goat is "organic." Don't even get me started on the absurdity of that word!

I hear ya on the misuse of the word digital. I've completely given up trying to explain it. The other one that gets my goat is "organic." Don't even get me started on the absurdity of that word!

The way to get past all that is to remember than when something has "organic" written on it you simply have to substitute that in your head for "May contain fragments of penis". And, of course, then put said item back on the shelf.

Today I hate: "It's natural, therefore it is good for you"

Hey, guess what, arsenic is naturally occurring so take some of that, oleander is a naturally growing plant - have some tea, red back spiders - they're natural - play with this one! And the funny thing? You're more likely to survive the spider bite.

Just because it's natural (a word often linked with organic and 'herbal remedy') DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS SAFE NOR GOOD FOR YOU. They can still poison you......................................................to death.

If you were to walk into some of the places that manufacture this so-called 'natural' therapies (not called medicines, because then they would have to prove to the FDA (US)/TGA (AU) etc that they actually did what they said on the tin), and the level of contamination that goes on, you would never take another herbal/natural/organic remedy ever again. I'm not saying they're all bad, but should certainly be taken with due care and attention.

The problem with "alternative medicine", as it is called, is that there are a few who mean it serious, while the vast majority means just business and is only in for the quick buck.

I happen to know a healer who uses alternative medicine and she is the kindest, most warm-hearted and moral person you can imagine. I know her CV, she shares a practice with her husband, a former jet pilot who is now a chiropractor, and both live for their job. They are like Dr. House, just without the bad attitude, digging deeper and deeper until they get to the root of the problem.

They're not rich, they struggle with money, because they have a fixed price for a check-up, no matter if it takes one hour or five! They suffer from the fact, that health insurances don't pay for their methods. Their practice is not fancy but suffices. They only employ one assistant -- part-time, because more they cannot afford. Their flyers are amateurish, printed out from a PC without much skill.

They do their job out of pure idealism and philanthropy. They actually have a need to help other people (something that I believe many medicine students don't have). I am hard to convince of something. You can call me Mr. Scepticism, I am doubt impersonate, but I believe they're genuine. Their success relies completely on mouth propaganda. And they are successful.

I like their approach of the human body being more than the sum of its parts, that you cannot treat a disease effectively by isolating certain body parts and only treat them in a concentrated fashion, accepting severe side-effects, not checking, if those effected body parts themselves are just a symptom of a completely different, deeper problem, that is rooted somewhere entirely else within the body, or maybe has psychological reasons. I like how they try to trace symptoms back to the real source, instead of just treating them with pills. I have no idea if it works but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have diabetes and I suffer from migraine. The latter is why I go there. I want to try different methods instead of swallowing triptanes all the time. They know about my diabetes but would never get the faintest idea of offering me an alternative method for it, because they know and recognize, that the normal medicine in this case knows best what to do. They would never interfere with that.

So their main obstacle is not the traditional medicine or doctors, who see them as unwanted competition. Actually they work together with "normal" physicians and dentists and even treat them (!) in their practice.

Their main problem are other so-called healers, who are nothing but quacks, know nothing about what they do and are only interested in getting as much money as possible out of their patients, eventually even endangering their health by wrong diagnosises, awakening of false hope or even draw them away from normal medicine.

Even worse are traditional doctors, who visited some quick advanced education course and now also offer alternative treatments in their practices to earn some more extra money (because the federal health insurance system doesn't cover it and patients have to pay cash for it). The problem is, that they neither have the knowledge, nor the experience, nor the time to really make a good alternative treatment. And in most cases they don't even care about their patients.

It sickens me, when all alternative healers are thrown into one bucket with the badge "quack" on it, just because it has become a fashion and 95 % of it is indeed quackery with the intention to make money. But I suppose that's how things go and always have been going.

Last edited:
people who still waste my time

more specifically people who call me up and ask me to come in for a job interview, describing my dream job over the phone, when in the interview it turns out I'll have to do grunt work for the first year or so, 6 days a week, 12 hrs a day, for a wage that comes very close to what I get from social security now

How about NO and leave me alone?

Those are the times, pal. In my company folks work as call center agents, who have studied engineering. They rather do that job, than sitting at home with nothing to do, only annoying their families and slowly becoming dead inside.

MacGuffin, what you are describing sounds more like holistic medicine than alternative.

Here's the thing about "alternative" medicine: if medicine works, it's just medicine. If there's absolutely no data to back up its claims, it's "alternative".

There are many licensed doctors who practice holistic medicine, my GP included. He always likes to try lifestyle changes instead of drugs whenever possible, and I really appreciate that.

However, if anyone ever recommended to me that I try sticking needles in my body to combat pain, or drinking a "remedy" made by diluting out some useless substance until I was consuming nothing but water and alcohol, I'd tell them exactly where to go.

Things like herbal supplements, homeopathic treatments, acupuncture, and the like are nothing but ways to trick you into feeling better while at the same time robbing you blind. The worst thing is that these "treatments" are not under any regulatory guidelines, and therefore are frequently harmful.

I know some people practice alternative medicine because they genuinely want to help people. But some people practice palm reading for the same reason, and it's just as useless.

If you are ill, go to a medical doctor. If you don't like that person's treatment, go to a different one. But stay away from the "alternative" junk.

ETA: This reminds me of a bit in Iggy Pop's tour rider, which everyone should read at least once.

1 x Korg 2000 Digital Rack Tuner. Digital in the sense that it works via an electronically generated number system, not digital because it only works if someone holds it together with their fingers.

On the subject of irritating adspeak, I hate the words "patented [insert noun here] technology" and "proven technology" with a hatred so deep that I'm surprised the world can contain it. Who is this impressing? Are there really still people in the world who hear the words "patented technology" and think, "Oooo, it has technology! And it's patented! I should run out and buy it right now!" :wall:

People who buy that line deserve to be ripped off, dammit.

Last edited:
It's still the same in the same way a nuclear power plant is still nothing more than a steam engine.

Wrong! Power plants use steam turbines, a very different thing to a steam engine, like you'd find on an old train. :p ;)

...and in the thread of annoying things...

I -love- you all, people!

"digital", "organic", and "alternative"

particularly spicysaurus, fot this:

Here's the thing about "alternative" medicine: if medicine works, it's just medicine.

you don't know how hard I have tried to explain these concepts to people around me!

Anyone who isnt a priest saying "God bless X".

So when someone sneezes near you, do you just look at them in a "What the fuck did you just do" look?

On the subject of irritating adspeak, I hate the words "patented [insert noun here] technology" and "proven technology" with a hatred so deep that I'm surprised the world can contain it. Who is this impressing? Are there really still people in the world who hear the words "patented technology" and think, "Oooo, it has technology! And it's patented! I should run out and buy it right now!" :wall:

People who buy that line deserve to be ripped off, dammit.

Patented, Money back guarantee, testimonials, expert recommended, they are all proven ways of reassuring a customer a product is legit and boosting sales. No harm in that, you can't expect marketers to not use what is proven to work brilliant. I think you have a problem consumers who can't make an objective decision on a certain products value.

So when someone sneezes near you, do you just look at them in a "What the fuck did you just do" look?

I say Gehsundheit.

One time, I said it to a customer work who sneezed. She turned to me with a grimace and asked "What is that, german?"

The joke amongst ourselves for the few years since then has been:

Sneezing person: "Ah-choo!"
Standers-by: [give a dirty look] "...Nazi."

Instead of "Bless you" and "thank you" by girlfriend and I say "Damn you" and "Go to hell."

Last edited:
MacGuffin, what you are describing sounds more like holistic medicine than alternative.

Here's the thing about "alternative" medicine: if medicine works, it's just medicine. If there's absolutely no data to back up its claims, it's "alternative".

There are many licensed doctors who practice holistic medicine, my GP included. He always likes to try lifestyle changes instead of drugs whenever possible, and I really appreciate that.

However, if anyone ever recommended to me that I try sticking needles in my body to combat pain, or drinking a "remedy" made by diluting out some useless substance until I was consuming nothing but water and alcohol, I'd tell them exactly where to go.

Things like herbal supplements, homeopathic treatments, acupuncture, and the like are nothing but ways to trick you into feeling better while at the same time robbing you blind. The worst thing is that these "treatments" are not under any regulatory guidelines, and therefore are frequently harmful.

I know some people practice alternative medicine because they genuinely want to help people. But some people practice palm reading for the same reason, and it's just as useless.

If you are ill, go to a medical doctor. If you don't like that person's treatment, go to a different one. But stay away from the "alternative" junk.

I guess what they provide in the practice I described above, is a mixture then between holistic and alternative. I guess it's a typical case of knowing and meeting with the right persons. It's not often in life that it happens. But it does.

For example they reject acupuncture, because to make it work, like the Chinese medicine obviously does, you'd have to have decades of experience as a healer and the patient must be able to enter a meditative state of being completely calm and relaxed -- which is virtually impossible for the average Westerner. Obviously no more than 3 needles are needed for the treatment then and the one who applies it, must have years and years of experience with it.

What is called "acupuncture" here -- sticking lots of needles into so-called pain spots rather randomly -- she calls the "pincushion method", which she despises, because it indeed has no verifyable effect. I'm quoting here, mind you. I'm no expert in acupuncture.

It's very interesting talking to her, too, since she has similar interests and is not one of those esotheric persons at all, who state things, where you go: "Wait a minute, that's going a bit too far now", which I feared first. Instead she never gives you the impression, that she is not with both feet on the ground of common sense. I have no idea, if it works out in any way, too early to tell, but I must say that she has a certain gift.

Oh and by the way: I am very satisfied with my medical doctor otherwise :)

Last edited: