The "Things that annoy me" thread

I hate having to go to a customer and say ?that thing that?s been working great for years? Yeah, it?s been fucked from the start and I can?t believe nobody died, it?s fixed now but, it works slower than before. You need to do x y z so that we can work at the levels as before.?

but on the plus side, you're saving lives?

They don?t see it as that. All they see is lost production time. I?ve been on the job since 8AM. And it?s now almost midnight.

You?re telling me. It?s no different from frozen pizza factories, to office labels. These guys seem to think that stuff is a life or death situation whether they?re making product. The only time I would consider no heat a life or death situation is when a hospital has a boiler go down. Everything else is a non-emergency.

Perhaps they simply lack the imagination they would need to figure out just how much production capacity they might lose if their boiler did go ka-boom. ;)

My bad luck with Western Digital Purple HDDs continues. Bought four identical drives, one broke after not even a year. Total drive failure. Got replacement drive. The replacement drive already started developing bad sectors after the first couple of months, and one of the original drives also started to get more and more bad sectors. That means, so far 1 in 4 drives has failed (25%), and 2 in 4 drives have developed bad sectors (50%). Great work, WD...

I only know of blue green and black. What?s the purple do?

So, meant for full time data transfer?

Constantly writing and re-writing.

I have three things I'd like to take to Goodwill, but they are not listed in the things they can, or can't take, and they are similar to things on both lists.

My bad luck with Western Digital Purple HDDs continues. Bought four identical drives, one broke after not even a year. Total drive failure. Got replacement drive. The replacement drive already started developing bad sectors after the first couple of months, and one of the original drives also started to get more and more bad sectors. That means, so far 1 in 4 drives has failed (25%), and 2 in 4 drives have developed bad sectors (50%). Great work, WD...

I think you should look at Backblaze hard drive reports. WD is crap, although not as crap as seagate. But HGST (Hitachi) are the drives to buy.

Also, i have 5x WD green 2TB running 24/7 in a Synology nas for over 5 years now and all drives still work perfectly.

I managed to touch one of the heating elements in my toaster oven while taking a slice of pizza out...

After a long time i decided to cook a full meal again. You know, meat, vegetables, ... the whole shebang. (except potatoes)

So, cooking for half an hour, only to inhale it in five minutes. :(

To be fair, it was a small portion. I left some for tomorrow, and hopefully the day after.

After a long time i decided to cook a full meal again. You know, meat, vegetables, ... the whole shebang. (except potatoes)

I honestly wish I could do that more. Not being in town for a week doesn?t always mean leftovers keep over 5-7 days. My sister is usually over while I?m out of town to watch Hank but, being that she lives and dies by social media, and the news for dietary choices, my eating habits of boxed rice, meat, frozen vegetables, and *gasp*, 2% Milk means, it?ll all go to waste. About the the only things in my fridge is beer, juice, condiments and in the pantry is a bunch of seasonings and different quick cook boxes of flavored rice.

Little HMI tweaks that make functionality worse. The latest such annoyance came with Youtube's latest update.

Before, when you'd watch an embedded video and click the title to go to Youtube, it would send you there with a timestamped URL, continue the video at the correct time, then revert the URL back to the original for easy sharing. That made sense. All the time I'd start watching a video on FG, click the title, and copy/paste the URL in chats to friends. Now, the timestamped URL stays after the video loads.

t52EehC.png

I don't understand. They had a working solution to this. The feature worked flawlessly. Why make it worse?

I always right click the video and select copy video url. It's much easier and gives you the clean link instead of having to dig it up from the jumble of the URL.