The "Things that annoy me" thread

Got a speeding ticket tonight on a road I should have known better.

Woah, where is all this coming from? Thanks, all of you. :blush:

Well, for what it's worth, Rebeca is a very shy person, and as you could see for yourself, she felt at home around you people at Ringmeet.
When we were back home, she told me: "I don't see where the sterotypes come from. Daniel and Philip (Dr_Grip) are two of the nicest people I've ever known. Even the Scandinavians were welcoming and warm, despite what your hear."

"That old English guy though, what a wanker!"

"That old English guy though, what a wanker!"

:lol:

Nah, she loves you all. Even you. :p

The meanest thing she had to say was "I can't understand what some of the Finns say. Their accent is too hard for me to understand!" :lol:

People honking at me, flipping me off, and flashing their lights at me, when there's literally nothing I can do because of the idiot in front of me.

1: I'm in a left-turn lane, but the person in front of me tried to use this lane to sneak up and cut in to the continuing-straight lanes. He stops to try to merge over, slowly, and the guy behind me is blasting his (clearly aftermarket) horn, and flipping me off as he does that thing where you go back and forth between accelerator and brake pedals to make the front of your trucnk bounce up and down as you inch forward.

2: I'm on a city street trying to turn right onto my own street, but I can't because someone's in their pickup truck, waiting for their husky friend to waddle up to the truck, and try to jump over the side of the bed (twice) to get into the truck before moving so I could proceed, and the guy behind me starts flashing his brights at me. When I don't immediately move, he guns it around me, steering very aggressively, and screaming "asshole!" out his window as he passed me.

Target had a whole display of chicken in the grocery section that had a $3.00 coupon on it, and it said, "Coupon valid today only" where there would normally be an expiration date. We get to the register, and they try to scan it, but it says, "Coupon is expired" and it wouldn't take the $3.00 off.

The GF then got into a nearly 2 minute conversation with the cashier with us trying to say that 'today' can't expire, but the cashier holding his ground on the "but yeah, no...it's coming up expired. It must have been yesterday" without him ever offering any sort of solution until I butted in and asked for a manager. He said, "You don't need the manager, you can just go over to customer service."

Well then why didn't you just say that before?!?!

So then we reply, "OK, do we pay for it now and then they refund, or do we have to buy it over there?"

He then tried to explain something we never actually understood. I worked retail POS systems for over 15 years, so I'm well aware of how they work, and the words that were coming out of his mouth, in the order they were coming out, made little to no sense.

So then we stand in line at Customer Service, when a suuuuuuuper smelly homeless guy stands in line behind us, wheezing, coughing and spitting on the floor, chugging (what I hope to be) tea from a gallon jug.

We get to the counter, we explain how "today" can't expire, and she says, "Yeah, sometimes it does, technically."

eye-twitch-gif-20.gif

At one point she did finally agree to give us the $3.00 discount, but at this point it didn't matter and we continued the argument because they just sort of shrugged as if they had no idea what to do about the situation...I suggesting sending someone back there to remove the stickers, and they said they would probably leave them on because, "What if 'today' means tomorrow?"

hdch.gif

Last edited:

Target IT is incredibly incompetent - as is the rest of their management. One of many reasons their stock is tanking and they are desperate to get customers back in the store - but they often don't know what to do with the customers once they're inside.

As for the rest - welcome to modern California and enjoy your eventful new disease that was generously shared with you! :p

Last edited:
I'm always a bit wary with discounts and special offers and wouldn't be too surprised if the shops sometimes just try to scam you into buying something you normally wouldn't, and then at checkout they conveniently "forget" to actually add the discount in the hope that enough people will not notice or won't make a fuss about it.

Goddman, NecroJoe. That feels like one of the circles of hell.

Here the law is great.

Display the wrong price, you get it at the advertised (lower "wrong" price) - 10$ if it's over 10$, get it for free if it's under 10$.

So item displayed on sale at 99.99$ but scans at 110$, you will get it for 89.99$.

Last edited:
Here the law is great.

Display the wrong price, you get it at the advertised (lower "wrong" price) - 10$ if it's over 10$, get it for free if it's under 10$.

So item displayed on sale at 99.99$ but scans at 110$, you will get it for 89.99$.

IIRC Pittsburgh had something similar when I was a lived there. Either $5 or $10 off for an incorrect price. As a poor college student I would follow the tab during checkout very closely.

Here the law is great.

IIRC Pittsburgh had something similar when I was a lived there. Either $5 or $10 off for an incorrect price. As a poor college student I would follow the tab during checkout very closely.

I think most states have some sort of protection to at least guarantee you the advertised price. Even California says that EVEN IF the signage would have had an expiration date on it, if they leave it up, they have to give you the price. If not, you report them to the Department of Weights and Measures, and they can get a fine of up to $25K, or even jail time, but likely for such a minor offense, unless it's like the straw that broke the camel's back after a string of incidents.

This happened to me yesterday, and the more I think about it, the more it aggravates me.

I had to run some errands yesterday, including the bank to cash a check. This check is for $1,000. I fill out the paperwork to deposit $600 in the account and get $400 cash. Seems simple right? Not at the bank. They have a new policy that comes with the new company that took over the bank. Because the check is from a different bank, I can't take more than 25% of the check as cash. This is despite there being more than enough money in the account to cover the check several times over. The teller tells me that the easiest solution is to get the $250 I am allowed to take from the check, and then go to the ATM to get the rest. I then ask why I can't just withdraw the money from my account while I am already there. He says they would have to charge me for that...

So I am done with that bank. I wonder what they will charge me for closing the account.

When retailers advertise "door-buster deals" that run all day, or even all weekend. (FWIW, I'm even ok with it refering to online deals with limited availability that start at a specific time).

When brick-and-mortar retailers run ads that say, "Stop in for our Cyber Monday specials!" *facepalm*

On the same day that one of our Royals announces their impending nuptials, funded of course by the UK taxpayer, HWF3.0's daughter, at Uni in SE London, encountered a woman who was having to beg outside the local supermarket in order to feed her children.

J (I won't use her full name here) chatted with this lady for a while and then took her into the store to buy some food for her (no alcohol or tobacco) to get her and her kids through the next couple of days or so and save her the indignity of blowing another stranger in an alley for pocket change while her toddler dozes in his stroller.

I know there are people out there who do absolutely nothing to help themselves but there are others whose situation is no fault of their own and yet as one of, allegedly, the richest nations on earth we can't do enough to ensure people have the basic necessities. I'm not advocating full throttle communism here but there is surely a middle ground where the fundamentals can be guaranteed for all?

save her the indignity of blowing another stranger in an alley for pocket change while her toddler dozes in his stroller.

Jesus, man. 0_0

I know there are people out there who do absolutely nothing to help themselves but there are others whose situation is no fault of their own and yet as one of, allegedly, the richest nations on earth we can't do enough to ensure people have the basic necessities. I'm not advocating full throttle communism here but there is surely a middle ground where the fundamentals can be guaranteed for all?

I know what you mean. Its irritating how so many shelters and organizations that help these people are stretched so thin as it is with nowhere near enough people helping out.

Jesus, man. 0_0

I know what you mean. Its irritating how so many shelters and organizations that help these people are stretched so thin as it is with nowhere near enough people helping out.

Partly because starting in the 60s, the US tax code was amended to put tighter and tighter limits on how much you could donate and still write off. It used to be that the rich people in a community would go unto the hospitals at Christmas make huge donations to pay the bills of everyone who couldn't pay through the entire year - because they could write the entire, unlimited amount off. Same thing with shelters, food banks, free clinics (yes, we used to have major medical clinics in all significant cities and most towns for those who couldn't afford to see a doctor - I'm just old enough to remember them), etc.

Not so much any more - you can't write off more than a certain amount and if you donate more than that you have an increasingly complex tax picture - so many people who would formerly have moneybombed such facilities just don't bother as it's more trouble than it's worth now.

Last edited:
Spectre,
I apologize for contacting you here but i read your posts and replies on Jags and i was wondering if i could get your help! Ill even pay you for your time. Please email me (Chrisomarchavez) its a gmail account and ill give you my cell. Ill pay you for your time. THANK YOU !

Yeah, my dad said that when he first started at his employer over 30 years ago, his healthcare was free. Nothing was taken out of his pay check like it is now. It used to be awesome.

his healthcare was free. Nothing was taken out of his pay check like it is now. It used to be awesome.

You mean his healthcare was factored into his salary. I can't help but feel like because markets and policies change so much every year, it's just easier to "sell" you the insurance that it would be to factor it into your compensation, and have it affect their P&L sheets differently every time there's a change, even if your wage hasn't.

Yeah, my dad said that when he first started at his employer over 30 years ago, his healthcare was free. Nothing was taken out of his pay check like it is now. It used to be awesome.

In my most recent salary negotiations, my company car was converted from "I pay a fee out of my salary" to "free" - yet, nothing fundamentally changed. It's just a different expression of my salary, and possibly was easier to sell to the higher-ups for approval :D