The "Things that annoy me" thread

Just wait, somebody will attempt a reboot soon...

And there was also a movie.

Question # 1 - How hard could it possibly be to replace a headlight unit in a Chevy pickup?
Question # 2 - Do all GM engineers think like this??

4WcTa2q.jpg

SquareLeft;n3544555 said:
Question # 1 - How hard could it possibly be to replace a headlight unit in a Chevy pickup?

4WcTa2q.jpg

Here's the official method to replace the bulb *or* headlight unit on most post "Art & Science" Cadillacs.

So, yes. They're called General Morons for a reason.

SquareLeft said:

Spectre;n3544557 said:
Here's the official method to replace the bulb *or* headlight unit on most post "Art & Science" Cadillacs.
<YouTube video link removed to save bandwidth>
So, yes. They're called General Morons for a reason.

Full disclosure:

I've been here before... Both OE headlight units failed several years ago. The lenses separated from the bases; moisture seeped into the units and the bulbs failed. I replaced them with 'Eagle Eye' units.
Last summer, I noticed that the same thing was happening again to the right unit, so I ordered a new set, this time specifying Dorman in the hope that the quality would be better.
So, when the right one failed yesterday, I was prepared - but it was too #$%^&* cold to worry about it. It got up to 36 F today, so I jumped into the project. (This being Ohio, I opened the garage doors and didn't even bother with the heater...) I replaced both units - again - so that I didn't have to tackle this nonsense again when the left one failed.
I also tested all the auxiliary lamps and replaced two marker bulbs.

The thing that really bugs me is that when GM made cars and trucks that I really liked, you could replace a headlight in the parts store parking lot in ten minutes with only a Phillips screwdriver. The lenses were glass and they never discolored. If you wanted 'bright', you bought a set of Bosch or Hella H4s and then you could easily swap bulbs if you were so inclined. Yep, I guess that's progress!

SL

SquareLeft;n3544559 said:
The thing that really bugs me is that when GM made cars and trucks that I really liked, you could replace a headlight in the parts store parking lot in ten minutes with only a Phillips screwdriver. The lenses were glass and they never discolored. If you wanted 'bright', you bought a set of Bosch or Hella H4s and then you could easily swap bulbs if you were so inclined.

That would have had to have been more than 40 years back, because by the 1970s GM had made it so you couldn't use a Phillips screwdriver any more - had to use a "special" Torx screwdriver. Still had the same crappy sealed beams, just needed a special Torx driver to get to them.

Yep, I guess that's progress!

No, that's General Motors.

GM is not the only company guilty of making small thing a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Spectre;n3544562 said:
That would have had to have been more than 40 years back, because by the 1970s GM had made it so you couldn't use a Phillips screwdriver any more - had to use a "special" Torx screwdriver. Still had the same crappy sealed beams, just needed a special Torx driver to get to them.

Well, yeah, sort-of...
The rally community had pretty much completely switched-over to H4/H1 replacement lamps by the mid-1970s. I had them in everything I owned by 1977.
The last '70s GM we owned was a '74 Olds Omega S and I'm all-but-completely-certain that the switch to Torx fasteners hadn't happened by then...
I do know that I'd switched over my '66 Nova SS and my dad's '72 Malibu because I still have both of them! :rolleyes:

SL

I have never used a piece of computer software that wasn't a complete pile of worthless pig shit.

The worst I’ve used so far is ProQuote. Work uses a super out of date version. Nothing works like you’d expect and it’s slow as fuck to make a PDF of said quote. Fucking stuck in 1995 I swear. If only the Germans knew. Maybe the incredible inefficiency would be corrected.

Really? It had to begin to snow last night after two weeks of dry weather? :? I'm usually jogging every Sunday, but with a layer of snow everywhere I can't see the patches of ice in the forest I encountered the last time which still aren't melted since it was constantly below 0°C. I think I'll have to take an alternative route on sidewalks, fortunately the car traffic is rather low on sundays...

Or salad.

I guess for me, the more I think about it, it's mostly stuff with rice, or something like mac-and-cheese. The forks are too flat to be able to scoop along the curved side walls.

My GF keeps making these things she calls "stir frys" which aren't really stir-fried, so I dont' know what to call it, but it's basically ground turkey, chickpeas, and whatever other diced veggies she wants to throw in, and then, like...a jar of salsa, or something. It's like a stew or chili, but without being "soupy" and it's all small bits. She makes fun of me when she hands me a bowl witha fork in it, and I put the fork in the dishwasher and grab a spoon. :lol:

Last edited: