engineering drawing using Solidworks 2009

yuchungman

Hello, I'm a student studying mechanical engineering in the University of Hong Kong. I'm going to do a engineering drawing using Solidworks 2009, and I'm planning to do a model of a Golf GTI Mk I (guess it's boxy and would be easier to make, but it's also a car I like).
Obviously I've attended some workshops and have a basic knowledge in using Solidworks (unfortunately the course haven't cover Autocad so I know nothing about it). But for now I don't have any drawings or dimension of the car, so I don't know where to start. The deadline for handing in parts and assembly is on 10 March so I don't have much time for this. There's not much information or support given for us who do self designed drawings so I don't really have a clear idea how detailed the assembly should be. I'm thinking building a body shell that looks like a Golf with interior, working doors and wheels would be OK. If anyone can give me some drawings and it'd be really nice.

It's do-able.. But unless you're really familiar with Solidworks, you're going to struggle to do it in that time frame. As for the drawings, i honestly don't know where you'd find any. Sorry.

I also don't have any drawings or know where to get them, but I have to agree with Jon that in that timeframe you could get in trouble. Well it mainly depends on the level you are allowed to simplify parts on the car if its doable or not. I don't know what your assignment looks like but if you can can choose what you have to model in CAD I would choose somthing easier than a car.
And if you are looking for some CAD drawings of smaller parts like nuts and bolts and othe attachments you can look at http://www.traceparts.com/

May I suggest buying a book on solidworks? They're only about $300HKD at those bookshops within computer malls like Golden, and are very worth your while. If my luggage space permits (They're fucken thick and heavy), I may well buy one or two myself (especially autocad since its the industry standard, and as much as I hate it I sill want to become proficient at it)!

I think doing a whole car is stretching yourself a little. Try something simpler for assembly drawings since its easy to screw up constraints and have weird gemetry everywhere. Even a simple robotic arm would be easier to assembly draw than a whole car.

Coming from NX, I found solidworks to be much more user-friendly. Solidedge is also great.

Good luck! I still suck at CAD in comparison to some of my friends, and its just a continual learning process.