FG Fitness Challenge

What is the most accurate or best heart rate tracker out there?

Thinking about a fitbit charge HR or even just like an apple watch. I just need something to track it throughout the day and log it in my health app.

I've been pretty happy with my Charge HR. Not sure how accurate it is when my pulse is high (probably accurate enough for my needs), but at least on the lower end it seems to be spot on. When I was in the hospital for a few days I happened to be wearing it and I just had to check what readings it gave me while I was having my blood pressure and EKG taken. In the 40-60bpm range it was spot on with the hospital instruments :p

Last edited:
My first post in this thread, yay! \o/

I'm determined to run at least once a week (additional to the two to three table tennis practices/games per week), currently I run a small loop of 3 km, but that only skims the nearest outskirts of the nearest forest. When I calculate the farthest outskirts of said forest I'm at around 5.8 km which I want to be able to run without walking by the beginning of March. Today I managed to run the small loop without walking in between, even though it was pretty slippery and the temperature hovers around the freezing point.

There is a relay in late May where a group of friends participate, it runs between the two coastlines of Schleswig-Holstein (95.5 km) and is divided into ten sections between 8 and 11 km, I want to participate there as well. :)

Cool :cool: (also my first post in here I think)
I really should kick myself into running again, there is some excellent paths right around where I live that goes by a small lake and fields, but the paths have no lamps so it's pitch black almost before I'm home from work. Maybe I should just try to make room for a run once in the weekend until it gets lighter in the evenings.

Or, if you can bothered, run around with a headlamp looking like a crazy person! I always get complaints from my running group for not wearing one of those, but usually it bothers me more than it helps. Everything outside of the small cone of light is pitch black, i'd much rather have everything sort-of dark with my eyes used to it. That way I actually see what I'm running through... I don't need to see every single piece of gravel in front of my feet :dunno:

That would bother me too, if the moon is bright it's not that bad once your eyes get used to it, maybe I should just skip the bad excuses and get going :p

Haven't posted here in 3 years, sheesh.

I started working out seriously last January, used to home gym before that, other than a muscle pull that put me out for 3 months been going like clockwork, feels good to lift heavy and lose weight at the same time. I honestly hate cardio in most forms so I use weightlifting to burn fat. Been counting calories for 1.5 years as well, all told ive swapped nearly all the fat ive lost for muscle, so i weigh the same as I did a year ago but look way way better :)

all ive learned is that 99.99% of this is willpower, you can try any fad/diet/gym/coach/motivation but its down to you in the end

Last edited:
So, weight. Crazy stuff, huh?
I bought a new scale and started weighing myself every morning, despite not exercising much (occasionally walking and cycling) due to a foot injury.
It is amazing how much it can vary day-to-day. Some days I go and cycle for 40 minutes and have light meals and gain 100g.
Somedays I sit on my ass all day, have a huge plate of pasta and half a pint of ice cream for dessert during lunch and lose 800g. :?

I know weight is just a measure but still seems like there is no logic. :lol:

Honestly, those small (yes, I'd consider +-1 kg small) day to day variations don't surprise me in the slightest :dunno: Luckily, I don't have scales, so I don't even know my weight. That also helps a little, because that way I simply don't care and just go by feel.

My weight varies that much often, I don't care as long as it's not more than +1kg since last time. Even though I'm not that fussed about the actual number on the scales I still need it in my head as a way of telling myself that what I do is working, I'm more happy about the fact that I have to buy new jeans 3 sizes smaller than about the 18kg I've lost so far :)

Honestly, those small (yes, I'd consider +-1 kg small) day to day variations don't surprise me in the slightest :dunno: Luckily, I don't have scales, so I don't even know my weight. That also helps a little, because that way I simply don't care and just go by feel.

Of course, specially when 1kg is not even 1% of my weight. I just find it interesting. :p

My weight varies that much often, I don't care as long as it's not more than +1kg since last time. Even though I'm not that fussed about the actual number on the scales I still need it in my head as a way of telling myself that what I do is working, I'm more happy about the fact that I have to buy new jeans 3 sizes smaller than about the 18kg I've lost so far :)

Same here. It works as an incentive and also a way of reminding me how much I already lost and how much I still need to lose, but clothes are the best measure by far. :D

I've been thinking about replacing some of my meais with Soylent as a weight loss strategy. - It's harder to cheat when you know what you're eating everyday and I'd get the nutrients I need.

I do worry about possibly eating too much soy though

Honestly, I think all that'll do is strain your wallet. Also, I'd bet on it leaving you feeling hungry, which a proper meal delivering the same amount of nutrients will not. Also, fuck that nutrient shit - looking at life like that has proven time and again does not work. You'll always be lacking something, if you're sticking with some artificially created crap nonfood item. Also: if you're going on cookie binges now, you'll do it with soylent, too :| Not that there's anything wrong with that per se, you can have the odd cheat-day once a week or so, no problem... just not too often :)

TL;DR: fuck that artificial non-food item.

Honestly, I think all that'll do is strain your wallet. Also, I'd bet on it leaving you feeling hungry, which a proper meal delivering the same amount of nutrients will not. Also, fuck that nutrient shit - looking at life like that has proven time and again does not work. You'll always be lacking something, if you're sticking with some artificially created crap nonfood item. Also: if you're going on cookie binges now, you'll do it with soylent, too :| Not that there's anything wrong with that per se, you can have the odd cheat-day once a week or so, no problem... just not too often :)

What he said.
Stop looking for shortcuts.

Thirded :) it might work for a short while but it rarely last.

What he said.
Stop looking for shortcuts.

Thirded :) it might work for a short while but it rarely last.

All true. Plus I don't know what'd happen if i quit...i'd probably end up undoing all the work i did.

I'm slacking on both my work outs and watching my meals. Think being in a good, healthy state is 90% about what you eat, and I'm not doing a terrific job with that.
What's really hampering me is not being able to cook my own meals and choose what I eat day by day. I live with an aunt now, who doesn't feel like cooking most of the time, so many days a week, it's take out. Never something really healthy, and the portions are exactly "a little too much" but at the same time it feels like a waste if you don't eat it all. I mean, I should healthily eat 80% of the portion, but it looks bad to leave 20% there on the plate.

What's really hampering me is not being able to cook my own meals and choose what I eat day by day. I live with an aunt now, who doesn't feel like cooking most of the time, so many days a week, it's take out.

Isn't that the exact scenario to have the opportunity to make and eat whatever you want/should..? :p