The FG musical talent thread!

captain_70s

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Three Triumphs and a Volvo estate
Given that quite a few FinalGearians play musical instruments and sing I figured we should have a thread to post such things.
There is the Music thread, but that is mostly pro stuff and there is a thread for drawings and voice so why not music? I was also debating putting this in the Entertainment section but the drawing and voice threads are in Off Topic so I figured this would be better off here...

Anyhoos, to start I'll post my attempts at playing my keyboard through my cheap guitar amp. Been trying to get the sort of sound Jon Lord got in Deep Purple from his overdriven Hammond. I lack the several thousand pounds required for a B-3 Leslie and Marshall and am making do with a Casio CDP-200R and a Yamaha GA-10. :lol:

Not much fancy just me messing with volume controls and playing some classic riffs...

Capt. 70's: That was quite good, you definitely have some skill with a keyboard.

Anyways, here is my latest which I'll crosspost from the original post your video/voice thread.

[video=youtube;Ttf-Dvb4ECY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Ttf-Dvb4ECY[/video]

How long has everyone been playing their instruments?

Myself, I have been playing guitar on and off for 24 years, which I now realize is longer than someone of you have been on this planet. :blink: I started actually at age eight by strumming a broom to top 40 music. At age 11 I was given as a birthday present a plastic toy guitar with nylon strings then at age 12 my first "real" guitar, a 3/4 sized one. At age 14 I got my first full size, a Ibanez RG570; God that guitar was quick!

Perhaps I will get around to posting a video of me playing. I am by no means some up and down the scales at lightning speed kind of person, I look for quality in how I play, the slight little nuances that other musicians would notice.

My equipment:
2011 Fender Stratocaster American Standard
199? Dean EVO
1983 Ibanez RB820 RoadStar II bass

1983 Marshall JCM 800 (2203) amplifier
1992 Crate 4X10 titled cabinet
2002 Squier Champ 15GR practice amp
2003 Boss ME50 multi effects
1990's Boss EQ pedal

Last edited:
How long has everyone been playing their instruments?

I've been at the guitar for 10 years or so. I bought a bass in 7th grade and my first regular guitar in 8th grade. I've been playing music for 11 years starting with the alto saxophone in elementary school which I stuck with until graduating from high school. Now I pretty much just play the guitar.

In that video I'm playing my Martin 00X1AE Java Mahogany acoustic which is by far and away the one I play the most.

Been playing the piano since the age of 5, had lessons for a few years around 2004(ish)but never really picked much up. I still struggle greatly to read music, almost everything I play is learnt by eye or ear.
Played accordion from the age of 9(ish) to my early teens, got quite good and had a few years of lessons but rarely played it after I really started playing piano again.
Had guitars for ages, first an acoustic and later my electric one, never put much effort and just gathered dust until I started attempting to learn them again.

Instruments at the moment:

Pianos/keyboards
Tacky electric keyboard - I forget the name of it, its isn't good in any way.
1912 Bluthner upright piano - Gorgeous thing, fully restored, cost 3k and the removal men dropped it. :roll: Also I tend to play hard and ivory has come off some of the keys. It's also at the wrong house and due to moving costs will likely be left there.
Casio CDP 200R digital piano - Replaced the Bluthner when I moved into my flat, really nice to play.

Accordions
Chanson 48 bass piano accordion - Scottish tuning, works nicely.
Weltmeister 74 bass piano accordion - 1960s West German IIRC, needs work...

Guitars/amps
Yamaha EGR 121 - cheap guitar, needs new strings, I broke one. Oops...
Yamaha GA-10 amp - Its a cheap amp, 'nuff said.
My sister's cheap ass acoustic.

Other
Various flutes and pipe whistles whivh are my sisters.
My sister's saxophone
My clarinet - best not to mention that...
Chanter - This is the bit of a set of bagpipes that play the melody.
Mother's harp, doesn't see much use tbh.

i got no musical talent , but i do have a musical ear , Would be nice to see more from the people in here , im sure there are lots more who play instruments :p

I'm still waiting for Jay's rendition of nyan cat

The singing was good enough, perhaps a bit slower, depending how much you want to sound like the original. Keybords seem very good to me, but I am neither a keyboardist nor have much skill with musical instruments.

Join a local band? (Lots of "Chicks for free" etc.)

:smile:

I've been playing bass since 99, and my selection of gear really hasn't changed much since then. I come from a very musical family, I like to think of us like a fucked up version of the Partridge Family, almost everyone plays at least one instrument of some sort, but I'm the only bass player of the bunch. I also played saxophone as a kid, but I was never any good because to this day I can't read music.

I started with a Peavey Milestone IV. It might not have looked like much to others, but it was special to me, and everytime someone said "You should get a real Fender" I wanted to kick their teeth in. A couple years ago I spent several months rebuilding it from the ground up, the only original parts I reused was the body, neck, and the screws. Everything else was replaced and I custom made the aluminum pickguard myself. Here's what I ended up with.

Rebuild_54.jpg

I also own a Schecter Stiletto Studio 4.

Schecter.jpg

There is video of me playing live on stage, but I've never seen it, and I doubt it will ever see the light of day.

to this day I can't read music.

I've been playing guitar for...22 years now, and I can't really read music. I mean, I can do it, but it's just me going "Every Good Boy Does Fine" and "Easter Bunnies Get Drunk After Easter."

I like to think I've become a somewhat OK singer, but I'm too shy to do anything about it, and I still can't sing and play guitar at the same time.

Me from...I'd say 1996. That's me in the all-over-print dragon t-shirt and the red Mexi Strat.
img830.jpg

Me, about a year ago:
P1010490sm.jpg

The amp I bought shortly after, after I got the job that I was interviewing for, dressed like that:
[video=youtube;2f-L3EkDSaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f-L3EkDSaU[/video]

My Guitar:
IMG_3660resized.jpg

I've been playing guitar for...22 years now, and I can't really read music. I mean, I can do it, but it's just me going "Every Good Boy Does Fine" and "Easter Bunnies Get Drunk After Easter."

I took a few bass lessons when I first started, but I'm mostly self taught. If I can't figure out a song by ear, I'll look for some tabs and see they sound compared to what my brain thinks. I know what order my strings go on, but I don't know what order the frets are and I don't know anything about scales. My mind just can't handle E, F, F#, ect ect, numbers make much more sense to me which is why I stick with tabs. Funny anecdote, the day I got my Peavey the guy at the store said "If you turn out to be a good bass player, you will have work. If you turn out to be a bad bass player, you will have work. Because no one anywhere wants to play bass."

Last edited:
Join a local band? (Lots of "Chicks for free" etc.)

:smile:
I am primarily a jazz/1920s-1950s pianist, not many bands around here for that. Girls have historically reacted badly to knowing a I play piano, sort of a "oh Christ, he's even more of a posh, shut-in than I though" vibe. :lol: That's why I own a guitar, and have claimed to be able to play it...

but I was never any good because to this day I can't read music.

There is video of me playing live on stage, but I've never seen it, and I doubt it will ever see the light of day.
I can't read music either, well I can, but laboriously one note at a time. Then the entire tune is committed to memory, either that or played by ear (also a laborious process), or more frequently improvised around what I know and basic chord structures.

I'm fairly sure there is footage of my playing accordion outside ASDA for a promotion for local foods recorded somewhere. That was back when I was 13/14 or so. :lol:
Here's the band I play in!

We currently only have one song recorded but that will change in the near future!
That's pretty awesome, reminds me of Metallica in places. :D

Bump

The last few days to stave off cabin fever, I've been making a few recordings.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n8bjd1lk5f4yjn3/I drive the hearse 2.mp3

That is a cover of I Drive the Hearse by Porcupine Tree. It features Me on guitars, vocals, and drums. Forgive the few oopsies in the drum part, I've only been playing them for 3 months. :D