Random Thoughts....

Moore Medical Center is pretty much gone:
screen-shot-2013-05-20-at-5-44-00-pm.png

- - - Updated - - -

Live streaming on internet here: http://kfor.com/on-air/live-streaming/

You will need to turn off your ad blocking software if you have any installed.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are attempting to contact McLightning or Clegko, try text messaging. Reports that cell voice bandwidth in the area is completely jammed but texts may still work.

Really hoping that Clegko and McLightning are both ok. Just seen it on BBC news and officially just crapped myself.

Having a bad week (my nan was admitted to hospital and looks like she doesn't have long left) and above anything else I just want to know my two friends are safe.

UPDATE: Both Clegko and McLightning have tweeted that they are fine. I can stop panicking now.

Last edited:
I met a few nice people last year in OKcity, hope they are all fine :|

Jeesh best wishes for those affected.

Thoughts and prayers from here in British Columbia for those in Oklahoma and Texas affected by these tornadoes.

The photo of that medical centre.... wow. How big is Moore, exactly? Where is the next closest center for people requiring care?

Spec, how are things in your neck of Texas?

Quiet so far. We had some nastiness come through a few days ago that leveled quite a bit of Granbury and damaged Cleburne (local suburbs) but nothing's been heading specifically my way.

That said, we're being told we're looking at more potential big nasties in the next couple days. "Watch the skies" isn't a joke around here.

Waco may not be having fun shortly, there's a giant supercell that's been a slow mover that's going to cross that city in the next few hours.

Moore is larger than it was before the 1999 tornado (which had the highest recorded wind speed in terrestrial history - 318mph, and that's no typo or exaggeration); it's a largish residential suburb of Oklahoma City proper. About 50-60K people, used to be a 'bedroom community' but has in recent years been trying to diversify into a metropolis of its own. They have been aggressively promoting retail and business development.

As a suburb of Oklahoma City, some say it should be called South OKC, they can get medical resources from very nearby facilities in OKC proper - which is where survivors are being taken. In fact, it's basically surrounded by OKC on three sides and Norman OK on the south.

Edit: And just what they don't need - severe thunderstorms are likely to be appearing over the affected area tonight through tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
That's why I approve of newer cars turning on the lights automatically when the wipers turn on.
[and other rain light stuff]

well... that's also why not having any regulations requiring DRLs is retarded. Some people are going to be stupid and not turn their lights on at times when they should, but at least with daytime running lights they'll be visible to oncoming traffic/mirrors and not ghosts to everyone.

Damn... :shock:

What type of tornado destroys a hospital but leaves a Kia Amanti intact?

The TV news showed the other side of that Kia - it's definitely NOT intact.

Also, debris from Moore is raining down... in Branson, Missouri. 250+ miles away.

UPDATE: Both Clegko and McLightning have tweeted that they are fine. I can stop panicking now.

Just saw that earlier. Glad to hear it as well. :)

And I'm still watching the devastation on TV. I can't even begin to imagine what those people might be going through. And the reports from that one school just break your heart. One station is saying that it's no longer a search and rescue mission, it's now a search and recover mission.

I've done a bit of storm chasing before, but I hope to all that I hold dear that I never see anything like that in person.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are attempting to contact McLightning or Clegko, try text messaging. Reports that cell voice bandwidth in the area is completely jammed but texts may still work.

They're both on Twitter. :)

And to all those here who may be in the path of these storms...

Please please: stay safe.

I just read McLightning's stated location in her profile... ouch.

Glad to hear she and Clegko are okay. The pictures do indeed look terrifying.

[and other rain light stuff]

well... that's also why not having any regulations requiring DRLs is retarded. Some people are going to be stupid and not turn their lights on at times when they should, but at least with daytime running lights they'll be visible to oncoming traffic/mirrors and not ghosts to everyone.

I hate daytime running lights. I also hate automatic lights, if you can't remember to turn your lights on when it's appropriate, get your ass off the road, you don't belong there.

"Wipers on, lights on" is the law in many states. Further, headlight based DRLs have been proven largely ineffective in brighter countries for the most part and can actually hide a car from view during much of the year here. And they make motorcycles fade into the background so we get hit more. Previously posted evidence to the Stupid Driver Thread - also look at the Wikipedia article on DRLs and how both the US and Israel have found they they don't work for crap (except for really big trucks, for some reason) at our latitudes.

More on the Moore tornado - slideshow here: http://www.tulsaworld.com/multimedia/slideshow.aspx/Moore_Tornado/1483

This one got me.
SEVERE_WEATHER_7488269.jpg

Kay James holds her cat as she sits in her driveway after her home was destroyed by the tornado that hit the area near 149th and Drexel on Monday, May 20, 2013 in Oklahoma City, Okla. (AP Photo/The Oklahoman, Chris Landsberger)

Larger version here so you can see the look on the cat's face: http://www.tulsaworld.com/photos/slideshows/2013/1483/SEVERE_WEATHER_7488269.jpg

The confirmed death toll is 91 as of this hour and expected to rise. If you want to aid the rescue and recovery efforts or are looking to find out if someone is okay, please go here: http://kfor.com/2013/05/20/how-to-help-okla-tornado-victims/

Last edited:
I hate daytime running lights. I also hate automatic lights, if you can't remember to turn your lights on when it's appropriate, get your ass off the road, you don't belong there.

There will always be idiots on the road, no way of stopping that. If you can see them then that's surely a positive?

Glad to hear Clegko and McLightning are safe, the damage caused is unbelievable.

"Wipers on, lights on" is the law in many states. Further, headlight based DRLs have been proven largely ineffective in brighter countries for the most part and can actually hide a car from view during much of the year here. And they make motorcycles fade into the background so we get hit more. Previously posted evidence to the Stupid Driver Thread - also look at the Wikipedia article on DRLs and how both the US and Israel have found they they don't work for crap (except for really big trucks, for some reason) at our latitudes.

More on the Moore tornado - slideshow here: http://www.tulsaworld.com/multimedia/slideshow.aspx/Moore_Tornado/1483

This one got me.

Larger version here so you can see the look on the cat's face: http://www.tulsaworld.com/photos/slideshows/2013/1483/SEVERE_WEATHER_7488269.jpg

The confirmed death toll is 91 as of this hour and expected to rise. If you want to aid the rescue and recovery efforts or are looking to find out if someone is okay, please go here: http://kfor.com/2013/05/20/how-to-help-okla-tornado-victims/

:(

This is one of the few times I am glad I live here.
Those pictures are heart wrenching.

Houses turned into toothpicks and cars thrown around like toys. I can' t even imagine to be in the path of something so powerful.

Moore got hit really really really bad. 2 mile wide strike path on the ground, evidence of F5+ winds. In 99 a tornado with 302mph winds hit Moore - this one is worse per all observers.

Wow, that looks really bad. Thanks for the updates, Spectre.

Good, I hope all FG memebers & their families / friends are well.

And, thanks Jedd for your update too.