Random Thoughts....

Good news, they've gotten their reporting sorted out at the OK ME's office. Confirmed dead is now just 24, down from an official 51 last evening and 91 overnight. Looks like more people than anticipated took the 99 lesson to heart and built storm shelters or storm rooms when they rebuilt/built last time. Unfortunately, 9 of the 24 are children. 230 people are confirmed as injured sufficiently to require hospital aid.

Local authorities say they have just about completed their first sweep of the primary strike zone and will be going over the area a total of three times to make sure nothing is missed and no potential survivors are left.

I don't always have a potty mouth on the internet, but when I do...

Fuck tornadoes. Fuck 'em. Fuckers.

Man, so many of the eats on "Man vs. Food" sound SO good if they'd just leave off the potatoes. Blecch. Potatoes are flavorless paste crap and have no place near my food unless you magically make them NOT taste like potatoes. Yeeeeecccccccchhhh.

There probably aren't any substitutions allowed in food challenges, though. That sucks. Potatoes suck.

Man, so many of the eats on "Man vs. Food" sound SO good if they'd just leave off the potatoes. Blecch. Potatoes are flavorless paste crap and have no place near my food unless you magically make them NOT taste like potatoes. Yeeeeecccccccchhhh.

There probably aren't any substitutions allowed in food challenges, though. That sucks. Potatoes suck.

French fries?

Good news, they've gotten their reporting sorted out at the OK ME's office. Confirmed dead is now just 24, down from an official 51 last evening and 91 overnight. .

I can say that I was happily surprised to see so few deaths with a tornado of that magnitude and duration. Not that 24 or any number is 'okay', but I hope you know what I mean. I was watching it on TV and thinking that there were going to be hundreds of deaths.

Whatever they did between the 99 and 03 twisters and now...I say they did a great job. Of course it could be better, it always can be, but serious kudos to the weather people getting the warnings out so early, and bravo for so many people to take it seriously.

I did see on CNN earlier that the mayor (I think) was wanting to pass a law stating that any new rebuilds or future new builds would HAVE to include a proper storm shelter. I think that's a great idea. Yes, it's costly...but look at all the lives it saved with this tornado...

- - - Updated - - -

French fries?

The food of the Gods in my opinion. :)

Coco is not allowed to rule on what food is good and not - she eats mayo with a spoon.

I can say that I was happily surprised to see so few deaths with a tornado of that magnitude and duration. Not that 24 or any number is 'okay', but I hope you know what I mean. I was watching it on TV and thinking that there were going to be hundreds of deaths.

Whatever they did between the 99 and 03 twisters and now...I say they did a great job. Of course it could be better, it always can be, but serious kudos to the weather people getting the warnings out so early, and bravo for so many people to take it seriously.

I did see on CNN earlier that the mayor (I think) was wanting to pass a law stating that any new rebuilds or future new builds would HAVE to include a proper storm shelter. I think that's a great idea. Yes, it's costly...but look at all the lives it saved with this tornado...

Most of the places built after 99 included a shelter. However, I think they're really going to be rethinking non-residential shelters, such as for schools, more than the residential ones.

One thing I suspect that they will be looking at is door latch strength on those shelters. There were multiple reports of the latches failing and doors getting blown open or even ripped off. The ones that are prefab and dumped in a hole in the backyard actually aren't very expensive, which is one reason why they were popular in the area - $3-5K in shelter costs is a cheap insurance policy.

Most of the places built after 99 included a shelter. However, I think they're really going to be rethinking non-residential shelters, such as for schools, more than the residential ones.

One thing I suspect that they will be looking at is door latch strength on those shelters. There were multiple reports of the latches failing and doors getting blown open or even ripped off. The ones that are prefab and dumped in a hole in the backyard actually aren't very expensive, which is one reason why they were popular in the area - $3-5K in shelter costs is a cheap insurance policy.

Even though Ohio is just on the fringes of Tornado Alley...we still get them here. Thankfully nothing as bad as this since the Xenia one back in 74 but even so, I refuse to live in a house without a basement.

And I do understand that the ground there is basicly rock, but if I lived there, Hell...I'd use a pickaxe and make my own.

And like you said, in the grand scheme of things: 3-4 thousand is worth knowing my family will more than likely survive one of these bastards.

The problem isn't that the bedrock is close to the surface but that in many areas the water table is only a few feet down. Basements flood with water surprisingly fast if there is any crack in the walls, which is inevitable if you have a house on top of the basement.

A related issue with basements was illustrated with the Plaza Towers school fatalities - 7 of the dead children had reportedly taken shelter in a basement-type subsurface room and were killed by drowning. The storm not only dumped tanker-loads of water in on them, it also broke several water pipes and the basement filled with water.

Really? What's wrong with the Haystack?

Or a Horseshoe sandwich? (Aston Martin, shut up. ;) )

Or the "Machine Gun" from Bruges Waffles & Frites in SLC?

(Merguez sausage, frites, and covered in an andalouse sauce.)

Coco is not allowed to rule on what food is good and not - she eats mayo with a spoon.

She WHAAAT??? Mayo is :yucky:

Last edited:
Mayo is good in small quantities, like a little bit on a sandwich to keep the bread from being dry or as a binding ingredient in a pasta salad where the taste is replaced by herbs and spices. It's absolutely disgusting on its own though.

Mayo is good in small quantities, like a little bit on a sandwich to keep the bread from being dry or as a binding ingredient in a pasta salad where the taste is replaced by herbs and spices. It's absolutely disgusting on its own though.

I only use it when I'm making sauces or I'll use just a little bit as a binder when I make a lobster roll.

Oh, speaking of potatoes, I made one of these today:

A frita cubano, or Cuban hamburger. Ground beef and pork seasoned, mixed together, and grilled with a healthy dose of frita sauce and served on a bun with a handful of fried shoestring potatoes. Mmm-mmm!

Will Anthony Weiner's epitaph read "Lived by the pork sword, died by the pork sword"?