Meal diary Japan

psdf

As some of you might know, I'm currently in Japan on a three week vacation. Since I absolutely love the food here, why not document the meals I eat? I've made a gallery of most of the meals I've eaten in restaurants and a few convenience store bentos too. The pictures are not very high quality usually because A. I don't want to cause any possible problems by digging out my camera in the middle of a busy restaurant B. It takes a lot less effort to use my phone for the pics.

Japan is a great place to go if you like good food. They are really serious about it here and there are programs about food on tv all the time. Most people think Japan is an expensive country but that is total BS. Sure you can eat out really expensive if you want to but most tourists are better off in local places (considered you know atleast a few words of Japanese). Meals in restaurants usually cost around 500 to 1500 yen (1000 yen = ~6 euros).

The service at restaurants is first class and the food is generally very good. I hate to think I have to go back to Finland and get used again to the shitty waiters, shitty service, high prices and crap food.

I'll type more about eating in Japan later, now it's time for lunch :p.

Finland? I always figured you were American...for some...reason.

Anyhow, about Japanese food, I find that Japanese and Korean restaurants are the only ones where I can go in, get something to eat and not feel like crap afterwards.

The worst offender in terms of that is bbq places in the US.

The worst offender in terms of that is bbq places in the US.

Good BBQ places are a bit easier to find here in the midwest, but it's still not easy. I find that if a place can cook a snoot properly, then everything else on the menu should be good as well. If they don't know how to do a snoot, then they shouldn't be in buisness. This is why I make my own BBQ 99% of the time.

i dunno what's more surprising... psdf being a worthwhile contributor (I love Nihongo cuisine) or an american who hates going to get some good BBQ. Fatmouse, you need to get out of New York for a little while and hit up memphis, kansas city, almost anywhere in texas, and I'll even risk the ire of pun to suggest Cincinnati (formerly Nicknamed Porkopolis) for some good racks of ribs or slow-cooked bbq chicken.

Good BBQ places are a bit easier to find here in the midwest, but it's still not easy. I find that if a place can cook a snoot properly, then everything else on the menu should be good as well. If they don't know how to do a snoot, then they shouldn't be in buisness. This is why I make my own BBQ 99% of the time.

When I bring up bbq places, I mean that even at good places, the food itself makes me ill because it is so rich and heavy.

Why would you go to Japan, where they have great food as you've shown, and still eat McDonald's? :blink:

Love Mos Burger.

You're right about it not being expensive. I got a shock when I went back to Oz and found out it was more expensive than Tokyo! The amount of restaurants here is ridiculous, most people don't do much cooking at home because the kitchen is too small.

Thanks for the pics.

Why would you go to Japan, where they have great food as you've shown, and still eat McDonald's? :blink:

Heh, I was about to say. Couldn't resist the temptation to go to mc? :)

There's always that urge to see if it tastes the same several thousand km's away.

When you are shit tired, the closest/still open restaurant being McD, you don't go lookin for culinary experiences. Also it's actually a lot better than in Finland. They use different kind of oil for the fries and they taste pretty good. Also the hamburgers taste different since Japan has a fetish with putting pepper on beef. They also have different kind of burgers than in Finland. Also if I'm without my friend who knows a few words of Japanese, I don't feel like going to anything more complex than McD. Ordering food isn't always that easy because nobody speaks English and they always bombard you with questions.

Yeah, the good thing about McD/Burger King is that you'll always know how much it's gonna suck. So no nasty surprises there.

I like your diary tho, keep it coming!