The Curry Thread

cdbob

Car(s)
'09 STi (soon gone),'04 TDi, '96 MX-5 M
I decided to create this mainly for my love of Curry and of forum organization. I myself love this spice and created this as homage to this. I will post recipes that I cook with this spice periodically. Others feel free to do the same.

Ah god.... Indian senses tingling.

I hope you know that curry isn't just 1 spice. It's a mixture of many different spices that are idiosyncratic to the vegetable that you are cooking. So it changes based on what you cook.

Just thought I'd throw that in there for anyone that doesn't know. I don't think you'll find "curry mix" in India. That was born outside of India for those that don't know the true nature of curry. You need to make the mixture from scratch when you're cooking whatever, so a jar of "curry mix" isn't going to do the trick for everything.

That said, I fail to make it myself. I've tried to cook green beans and okra using the techniques my mom does at home, and I consistently fail to make the veggies absorb the spices properly. I miss my mom's cooking a lot as a result. I'll try to post some of her recipes and things on here.

Ah god.... Indian senses tingling.

I hope you know that curry isn't just 1 spice. It's a mixture of many different spices that are idiosyncratic to the vegetable that you are cooking. So it changes based on what you cook.

Just thought I'd throw that in there for anyone that doesn't know. I don't think you'll find "curry mix" in India. That was born outside of India for those that don't know the true nature of curry. You need to make the mixture from scratch when you're cooking whatever, so a jar of "curry mix" isn't going to do the trick for everything.

That said, I fail to make it myself. I've tried to cook green beans and okra using the techniques my mom does at home, and I consistently fail to make the veggies absorb the spices properly. I miss my mom's cooking a lot as a result. I'll try to post some of her recipes and things on here.

The way I explained it to my Indian friend was, "it's a bit like saying 'salad powder', isn't it?" :lol:

Also, why is England so fascinated by curry? They not only eat that stuff up for breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner, midnight snack, post-hangover meal, fourthmeal, midday pick-me-up, and fag break, but it's become a massive part of their culture. The only comparable thing I can think of in America is our love of pizza, perhaps.

Also, why is England so fascinated by curry?

And kebabs. :D

I'm a curry fan, but I prefer a curry that has flavour to one that has heat. Kormas and Tikkas are always good, along with a really nice beef curry our local Chinese does.

Does anyone know what's actually in curry powder anyway?

The way I explained it to my Indian friend was, "it's a bit like saying 'salad powder', isn't it?" :lol:

That's brilliant! :thumbsup:. Mind if I use that the next time I have to explain what curry is? I promise to add copyright and trademark information.

Does anyone know what's actually in curry powder anyway?

Have you seen that ad for ped egg? You remember the part where they dump the leg skin shavings out into a trash can....

Yeah... see where I'm gettin' at?...

Have you seen that ad for ped egg? You remember the part where they dump the leg skin shavings out into a trash can....

Yeah... see where I'm gettin' at?...

:|

Wrong country I think, but I get the idea anyway.

They had a British girl advertising for it, so I assumed it was something imported from Europe. My bad.

Anyway, curry powder is just a generic mixture of spices: Turmeric, cumin, coriander, fenugreek, cardomom, mustard seeds etc. They're all ground up in a blender until they're of course... tada.... powder.

I think they either come as different varieties of mixtures (some containing some things, some not) or as a complete amalgamation of all the spices ever found by man.

But for cooking, I can't stress this enough so I must put it in a big font:

DON'T FUCKING USE CURRY POWDER

Always make it from scratch and make sure you check your recipes for the exact mixture of spices that is needed. You can't have cumin for everything, you can't have turmeric for everything etc etc.

Psh....the Japs are far more into curry than the Brits.

fucking signed

also as much as i love Indian curry the Thai variant is by far my favorite (especilly once i learned to make my own curry paste)

When I think curry = Indian, Thai curries. Japanese curry does not really equate to curry in my mind(ive had it, its a good dish, but does not strike me as curry, but more of a stew).

Now to the matter of curry = Now one good dish I learned to make is sambhar(south indian derivative of curry) - which makes me want to go crazy for south indian food.

you have to remember that the japanese learned how to make curry 3rd hand (indian dude teaches english dude teaches japanese dude). Also they are all into crazy additional seasonings like maple syrup and apple and maple syrup + apple

...sambhar(south indian derivative of curry) - which makes me want to go crazy for south indian food.

REPREZENTIN' SOUTH INDIANz YO'!

694px-Masala_Thosai.jpg

800px-Idly_sambar_vada.JPG

Uh, back on topic, Lurker is absolutely correct. If you want to taste real, authentic curry, you need to make it using fresh ingredients and spices. None of that packet or ready-made stuff. However, I'm not saying spend 3 hours everyday cooking, but make a big batch, and it'll last a fair while.

All the British curries are pseudo-North Indian curries that have been diluted and are frankly much more wimpier versions of the real deal. I prefer the heat in my curries. No, not so ridiculously hot that you'll be in the toilet for the next three days (although they might seem like that to foreigners), but hot enough so that it adds to the dish's depth and taste.

South Indian curries are great. Sambhar, or anything with veggies doesn't really excite me, although I do love my porials (veggie side dishes), with okra porial being my favorite. Chicken, lamb, fish, crab are all great but, my absolute all-time favorite curry is the prawn curry (Kerala-style) my mum makes. IT'S ABSOLUTELY FRIKIN' DELICIOUS! :eek:

url

Two sorts of Curry, one you make at home and can be very derivative or can be very authentic (most supermarkets provide the dried versions of the constituent spices) - its up to you. The other is restaurants which are EVERYWHERE.

In this country (Britain) they tend to be run by Bangladeshi people (not always however) but there is a standard menu really in most places although the food delivered under such standard descriptions such as, a Chicken Madras, actually do vary quite a lot depending upon the chef.

Yah...I'm gonna have to say that the Thai outdo the Indians when it comes to curry. Green Thai curry FTMFW!!

This is why I am very pleased that I paid 1100 rupees for a combination mixer, blender and spice grinder. This way, our housekeeper/cook here in jaipur can grind us fresh masalas every day for everything. I think she's making khichree for breakfast, which I'm pretty excited about because she's rather good at that.

^ :eek:! Semiya Kechadi is one of my favorites!

Lucky bastard.

I just had vada, sambar, thengai (coconut) chutney, and onion uthapam. Yummeh!

YUMMEH!! I absolutely love onion/tomato uthappam... :drool:

Damn, you're making me so hungry - so hungry that I could eat a whole family dosai!

The_Dosa_of_Life.jpg

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM! :D

Yah...I'm gonna have to say that the Thai outdo the Indians when it comes to curry. Green Thai curry FTMFW!!

Sif Green.

Red!

Yes, I love extremely spicy stuff.

^ :eek:! Semiya Kechadi is one of my favorites!

Lucky bastard.

The khichree never materialized. We had toast today. Not a bad thing, mind you. We've been having so many masala paranthas that I wouldn't have eaten them today. I would've just continued to sleep.