Sandwiches!!!

That my friend... IS EPIC IN HANDHELD MUNCHY FORM.

And I really don't understand how anyone could NOT like what WE call bacon. I mean ours actually has meat on it unlike that streaky bacon shit which is in my world; 95% fat and 5% pink. No wonder Americans are so fucking huge. XD That Manwich in itself is probably a damn sight healthier than if a Yank made it. XD

Because any good cook knows that pork belly fat is the most flavorful substance on the planet. Yours is just a pork loin with little fat, which we already eat in other forms. Streaky bacon is just pancetta without the rollup, and extreme salt cure. Lardo>Fatback>Pancetta>belly bacon>UK loin bacon.

End of story.

And I really don't understand how anyone could NOT like what WE call bacon. I mean ours actually has meat on it unlike that streaky bacon shit which is in my world; 95% fat and 5% pink. No wonder Americans are so fucking huge. XD That Manwich in itself is probably a damn sight healthier than if a Yank made it. XD

Every time I've had "UK bacon" it's been incredibly dry. Don't see the point of it. I've seen unsmoked bacon plenty of times in the UK aswell - WHO THE HELL WOULD BUY THAT?

Streaky > *

Well obviously some people haven't heard of beef dripping or goose fat or more importantly vegetable fat. Not vegetable oil BUT FAT. Ask any Brit and they will tell you that pig fat is not at the top of the list of our most used fat to cook absolutely bloody everything everything in, at least we don't cook sweet pancakes in the shit that's just feckin' weird. You unknowingly get enough pig fat in other stuff you eat other than eating pork, an' pig fat is one of the worst.

Back, jowl, belly, shoulder...it's all tasty to me.

Ummmm....Manwich is currently produced by US company ConAgra Foods and was introduced by US company Hunt's.

Back, jowl, belly, shoulder...it's all tasty to me.
Any and all bacon (Dry cure/wet cure, smoked or unsmoked, back, streaky or even middle cut) = 100% flavour to me; cooked in veg fat/oil, butter, Olive Oil or any animal fat yum. Any and all bacon is FTMFW!

Last edited:
Wet cured bacon should be banned worldwide imo. It's shit.

I've heard of and used all those fats, and take it from me ahpadt and every single reputable chef in the planet. Pork fat rules everything.

Oh man, a 'double size' pork chop with a decent layer of perfectly cooked fat? I'm in. Or a 4-5 hour slow cooked pork belly that just collapses when you try to cut it...

(I seriously hate all these recepies that call for cooking the pork belly for only 2 hours - it's not enough time. The fat is still hard...)

Last edited:
I made a post this morning about lorry barriers that started a US vs Euro miniwar, and the baconwars is still ongoing. :D

Havent had these in years, but sandwich steaks are awesome.
Americans call them Steak Umms?... more like steak yumms.

steakum3_1.jpg

Yes, I know they're made out of eyeholes, earholes and assholes.

They are good, but it's even better when you have your local butcher slice some boneless ribeye extra thin.

I've cooked up some ribeye for cheesesteaks and when I make Philly Cheesesteak Hamburger Helper, and it's always good - especially with Cheez Whiz. (Sounds gross, I know - but for some reason Cheez Whiz really works on a cheesesteak.)

So I made a Philly Cheesesteak, well ok, I used the 'Steak Umms'. (Be your own judge.)
I was execting the greatest sandwich of Northeastern America. It was alright...

So I made a Philly Cheesesteak, well ok, I used the 'Steak Umms'. (Be your own judge.)
You use shit ingredients, and expect what, culinary excellence? Let me try my hand at coq au vin with Mad Dog 50/50 and chicken nuggets and see how it goes.

It's ok, they're not much better in Philly either.

</never been to philly>

Cheese whiz isn't exactly fine dining?
True, but it works on a cheesesteak. And the steak is the most important part.

And if you don't want Cheez Whiz, try provolone. (But if you're expecting the greatest sandwich of the Northeastern US, throw out the Steak-Umms and make a lobster roll instead.)

As a Philly native, I feel I must butt in and say STFU!!

You want to make a good Philly cheese steak, get the butcher to cut some meat as thin as he can (rib eye or something else tasty). Coat each piece with a little bit of oil, sandwich between two pieces of plastic wrap, then pound it until it's almost transparent. Caramelize some onions in the meantime. Throw the meat in, it'll cook in a minute. A little salt and pepper, put some provolone on it, then put it in some bread. The choice of bread is important, you want a nice crusty roll, not too soft or it'll leak, and not too tough. That's how I like it. A lot of people also like mushrooms and/or green peppers, it's up to you. But a typical Philly cheese steak is onions and provolone (cheez wiz is also popular).

Nothing wrong with a cheesesteak - especially made the way you describe - in fact, I would say that it's the second greatest sandwich in the Northeastern US and the greatest sandwich in the Mid-Atlantic region. (Although some Philly natives swear by the roast pork and broccoli rabe.)

I don't know how long you've been in SF, but there used to be a great cheesesteak shop on Folsom and Division called Whiz Wit. (They closed in 2002, IIRC) They were the place that taught me the way to order a cheesesteak, South Philly style. "Gimme a whiz wit (Or "witout" onions.)" Now the best place for cheesesteaks is The Cheesesteak Shop at Sutter & Divisadero.