Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed!
    ?
    "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

Thanks all! It was - I need to work on my crust, but other than that, the pot pie actually froze and reheated really well. The overall filling lost a bit of moisture after being reheated, but the chicken was still fantastic.

Comment

Apple pie. Girlfriend needed apples for a decorative bowl of apples for an office photoshoot, so we had about 20 apples. Made applesauce out of some, and this pie out of the rest.

Pie crust was just a simple basic recipe, but it responded well to the egg wash. I pre-cooked the apples waaaay to long, so it's a hair away from being an applesauce pie. I also followed the recipe, and it had way too little sugar. The recipe did call for sugar to be sprinkled on the crust (which I forgot) but I don't think it would have made the filling any less tart. The recipe suggested Pink Lady apples, which are quite tart. I used Granny Smith, which are only a little bit more tart, but I guess it was enough to throw off he tart/sweet balance. Oh well. Just an excuse to have a bigger scoop of ice cream with it.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

granny smith is way to sour to use in a pie
          and normally, i don't cook my apples at all..

Comment

I like Granny Smiths in baking, but I just used a recipe that didn't have enough sugar. When you get the balance just right, the tartness is still there, but the sweetness is there just enough to cut through. I find that sweeter apples just make the pie sweet-on-sweet-on-sweet.

I find that cooking the apples beforehand in their sugar gets a nice caramelization and concentration of the sugar and the liquid that sweats out of the apples, generally making for a bottom crust that doesn't get soggy.
            There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Hmmmm....now I wanna make some too.
              ?
              "I'm sure Burger King is doing great in Germany, but they're not exactly stopping making schnitzels."

Comment

I may have fallen in love with a recipe:

I made this one with (too few) little bits of rhubarb instead of the raisins in the recipe, but the real star is the cake itself anyway. It's very fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside, tastes bloody great and... brb.

Sorry, had to get another piece.

Comment

We had a ridiculously moist and awesome carrot cake at cafeteria the other week (yes, usually they serve mostly horrible stuff, but those were great) and decided to try my hand on one of those for the first time myself
                  2015 Seat Leon FR TDI

Comment

And?
                    How did it turn out?
                    ?

Comment

Basically died after the first half piece I had super filling... But it was quite nice, not too sweet, good amount of moisture from the carrot - definite winner for a first try
                      2015 Seat Leon FR TDI

Comment

Time to unearth this thread from a shallow grave by construction workers.
                        As Maud had her birthday last week, I baked some pastry to feed our guests:

A traditional custard crumble tart, the base a leavened sweet dough made with milk and eggs, a layer of fresh custard made from scratch with milk, eggs, sugar and vanilla, and on top a nice buttery crispy crumble.

A strawberry cake, the base an almond sponge cake with fresh vanilla, topped with freshly made strawberry jelly, on top of which is piped a ring of mascarpone cream and sliced fresh strawberries, topped with chocolate curls.

Both cakes were motherfucking awesome.
                        1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
                        1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
                        2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
                        2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
                        2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
                        2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
                        Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

Holy shitballs - those look fantastic! I bet both the tart and the pie were not overly sweet either. Mascarpone cream goes so well with strawberries.

Comment

Yumtastic!

Comment

That custard crumble tart looks yummy. I feel hungry now.

Comment

I'm going to be making another one in two weeks, I'll try to remember to take photos of the process and I will post a recipe here.
                                1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
                                1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
                                2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
                                2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
                                2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
                                2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
                                Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

Working...
                                X