Just got a (small) rice cooker? Anyone have any go to recipies?

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
Hey everyone, I've been thinking about getting a rice cooker and a coworker/friend upgraded and gave me her old one:

It's a Rival 6 cup cooker like this one:

D4D1F7y.jpg

I know there's larger, more fancy, electronic cookers out there but this small one seems to be a good start. It doesn't even have a steamer basket. For now though, to see if it's something I get into, it's more than adaquate.

Anyone else using a rice cooker? Do you have any simple, one pot, recipies you could share? I did make rice cooker mac and cheese and it turned out alright. I'd like to include meat of some sort as well. Has anyone tried cooking rice a roni in one?

Thanks in advance!

I got one a few months ago, too. I do use it all the time. I'm constantly ruining rice on the stovetop, so this was a godsend.

I've tried using broth, but it didn't make enough of a difference. I used two bullion cubes dissolved in warm water for 2 "cups" of dry rice, and I could barely taste a difference between the broth and water.

Perhaps I'm buying the wrong rices, but holy crap...I have the rinse the hell out of any white rice to keep it from sputtering/foaming/splashing out of the top vent. I know it sounds stupid, but I feel guilty making rice during the drought. It's literally gallons of water down the drain.

Apparently this is a thing: