Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Can someone translate the key points of that video please :D

Homeless people sleep under bridge, city puts up fence, homeless people sleep next to the fence, everyone gets upset, city removes fence, politician responsible for fence mumbles along about "raising the issues of homeless people" and "creating a great discussion" by putting up the fence. Paraphrasing from memory, not a proper translation.

I don't read this thread much so I apologies if this has been reposted, but I can't help but see the symbolism in this:

s_o03_57968784.jpg

Almost as good as this one.

bullprayer2-2317.jpg

Homeless people sleep under bridge, city puts up fence, homeless people sleep next to the fence, everyone gets upset, city removes fence, politician responsible for fence mumbles along about "raising the issues of homeless people" and "creating a great discussion" by putting up the fence. Paraphrasing from memory, not a proper translation.
He also said that the way he went about this "wasn't the best possible way" which I consider politicalese for "I messed up". Hence my fainting.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Sigh....... I would estimate that about 0.01% of the people involved actually know anything about what they are protesting. And please do not try to inflate the event. Since 2003 the March for Life pro-life rally/protest has consistently drawn 250,000 participants to Washington D.C. In 2011 participation was estimated at 400,000. The "Occupy Wall Street" demonstration was drawn maybe 2,000-3,000.

There are still some indications that the policing has been heavy handed to say the least. There are video content with behavior from police officers on the scene which beggers belief, and I'm talking about situations where what's before and after the footage is irrelevant. Like supervisors pepper spraying females already in custody (standing quiet behind a fence of sorts).

I'm sorry to go off topic, but someone needs to get fired for the policing of those protests. It's a disgrace.

Anonymous posted his personal information including a possible phone number, names of relatives, and last known addresses. His family has received death threats. Spectacular.........

Did the protestors obtain a permit as required per NYC protest laws? If not then the police were within their rights to disperse the gathering.

Last edited:
Anonymous posted his personal information including a possible phone number, names of relatives, and last known addresses. His family has received death threats. Spectacular.........

Did the protestors obtain a permit as required per NYC protest laws? If not then the police were within their rights to disperse the gathering.

America is a free speech zone. You should love it for that reason.

I don't approve of them posting his info, but he was doing bad things while in a uniform that he should not be wearing. Like it or not, cops are not above the law. He should have been arrested for assault.

And about .001% of the Wall Streeters get it.

I don't approve of them posting his info, but he was doing bad things while in a uniform that he should not be wearing. Like it or not, cops are not above the law. He should have been arrested for assault.

There is no "but". In posting that information Anonymous (not the first time this has happened) engaged in behavior worse than anything the police officer did.

Last edited:
Assault is a pretty serious charge, and there are at least 5 counts he should be facing.

Pepper spray is fairly low on the continuum of force scale used by police. It was an illegal protest (the citizen's of New York City can get the law changed if they want, they have not taken the initiative) and the police were empowered by the law to end it. He may have been overzealous in his use of the pepper spray but the determination of that is up to the various investigative bodies employed by the state. To post the personal information of a police officer and that of his family, thus resulting in death threats, is reckless and smacks of vigilantism.

A more balanced view of the situation: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/police-department-to-examine-pepper-spray-incident/

desertpunk said:
There is little other leadership than the online "organizing" by Anonymous. Many of the people physically out in the streets are anarchists who disavow government and who make up a kind of permanent, itinerant 'protesting class' that attends anti-WTO protests or students on a lark attending any rally that harkens back to '60s protests. It's no Arab Spring: nobody in the US is leaving their jobs to march and occupy public places for weeks demanding an end to the government. In the current economic environment, anyone who does will be quickly replaced by a grateful unemployed person. When people are willing to put their lives and their livelihoods on the line for a revolution, changes like that are imminent. When people go online rooting for a motley band of crusty hippie squatters from Tompkins Square who only have a personal stake in being seen and photographed engaging police, that's just more bread and circus.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=84335888&postcount=95

Pepper spray is fairly low on the continuum of force scale used by police. It was an illegal protest (the citizen's of New York City can get the law changed if they want, they have not taken the initiative) and the police were empowered by the law to end it. He may have been overzealous in his use of the pepper spray but the determination of that is up to the various investigative bodies employed by the state. To post the personal information of a police officer and that of his family, thus resulting in death threats, is reckless and smacks of vigilantism.

A more balanced view of the situation: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/police-department-to-examine-pepper-spray-incident/

Getting your details put on the internet does not make you automatically spontaneously combust, its only vigilantism if someone acts on that information, and then its a criminal matter. Although i've not seen any reports of him getting death threats, link?