Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Oppressing a large population.
True, but let's not forget palestinians have it better in Israel than in most, if not all arab nations. They're still second class citizens, in some ways that aren't legislated, and in a few ways that are.

Israel have lived for a long time on the good will garnered from WWII but oppressing someone else (since you were once oppressed), no not a good move.

Still, got lots of mates in the US have they not?
That's the reason I'm talking about Israel as an adolecent nation. Israel's leaders don't listen to advice. They're acting like kids in a sandbox. People call themselves the friends of Israel, and just let them ramble on. It's like a parent giving the child all the candy it can eat, and saying that's being a good parent. It isn't. It's being a bad parent.

Palestinians have never used the correct tactics to beat them (Terrorism and killing innocents are not the correct tactics), they should be trying to put a wedge between their western sponsors and the Israeli government by playing up the oppression through which they are being forced as a first step.
They have and they haven't. On the one hand, some of their best intellectual leaders were killed by Israel during Wrath of God, on the other hand, some of their leaders, such as Arafat, weren't set enough on peace. Arafat is a great symbol, but he was a poor leader. He was part of his generation of Middle East politicians, his background can easily be compared to that of men like Menachim Begin, for instance.

Added to that, there's Israeli mistakes in the wake of Oslo, paired with Palestinian mistakes. There's problems with corruption on the Palestinian side, big problems, historicly.

That said, there's never been a better time to negotiate with the PA leadership than now. Mahmoud Abbas isn't perfect, but he's a lot better than Arafat was, and mostly a moderate. More importantly is Salam Fayyad, the PA Prime Minister.

Fayyad is a proper moderate, a force for genuine good. He isn't corrupt, he's a pragmatic and reform oriented leader doing some real good in the territories. He's the arcitect behind the good developments we've seen on the West Bank.

Under his premiership, his security forces have become better than the IDF at stopping attacks on Israel (don't trust me, it's the IDF saying it) from their respective areas of responsibility, under his premiership, the economy has stabilized, Hamas is much less of a force on the West Bank, and reforms are being carried out in record pace. The UN and the EU has confirmed this by stating that the PA is, from a infrastructure point of view, ready to form a state.

Israel's idiocy in not blocking settlement building is keeping them from negotiations. It's the worst mistake they've made since Mossad started and financed Hamas to fuck up the PLO in the 80s. Plenty of idiocy to go round on all sides, but the single stupidest policy decision made by any of the parties in the last decade is Israel's decision to keep on building those blasted, illegal settlements.

It is called a "siege mentality" and it is not an entirely unfounded perspective for Israel to have.
Not entirely, sadly though, it's making it increasingly dangerous to be a small independant jewish state in the middle of the Middle East. I know it doesn't always sound like that, but I'm a true friend of Israel. Many of the more friendly people aren't real friends of Israel anyway.

Yes I understand them. Its the Palestinians who are doing the same old things, they have failed in the past and they will not work in the future.

They appear to be too dim to work that out. They are the ones who need a talking to, I think it comes from their racism for Jewish people and their disbeleif/ignorance about the holocaust (which is why most Jewish people went to Israel in the 40s - 60s, they had no homeland that they felt would be their only safe place from pogroms), this leads Palestinians to not being able to shift their viewpoint, at all. Mind you loads of Jewish people turn up they have to live somewhere so I know steal the natives land and build settlement on it. Add religious issues. ...

In WWII we generally thought that the Japanese could not fight because they were small with short sight and had to wear thick glasses (it was racism really), that despite all indications to the opposite including beating Russia in 1910 and winning in China in the 1930s.
I think you really need to get stuck in and read up on both parties in this conflict, in some areas, you are badly illinformed.

It is called a "siege mentality" and it is not an entirely unfounded perspective for Israel to have.

Most of the Arab world supported Iraq's invasion of Iran. I don't see them assassinating foreign scientists or performing covert air strikes.

While not innocent on the oppression front, Turkey at least is a safe ally for the U.S.

I'd rather call Israel adolecent. Childish. Spoiled.

You seem to be very right with that. Israel's minister of interior has now forbidden Grass entrance to Israel and demands his Nobel Prize to be revoked.

That is indeed a childish reaction.

I think we can agree that there are factions on both sides that don't want peace (or a two state solution). The unfortunate part of that is the controlling party of Israel and its current leader is part of that faction, and that faction is wholly supported by the United States. This is the primary reason why peace can not be achieved at the moment. As Nomix has astutely pointed out, current Palestinian leadership are good partners to negotiate with.

As far as Palestinian tactics are concerned, I assume we are talking about suicide bombings for the most part. I can't even remember when the last attack was. Right now all I hear about are these purported "hundreds of rockets landing in Israel" which I think is just a distraction. So it would serve the people delivering those rockets more to stop then continue because they have zero effectiveness.

I don't necessarily oppose using violence to resist the occupation. "Stand your ground" so to speak...right? It is bad PR though and the Israelis are able to twist this into their favor.

Most of the Arab world supported Iraq's invasion of Iran. I don't see them assassinating foreign scientists or performing covert air strikes.

While not innocent on the oppression front, Turkey at least is a safe ally for the U.S.

It all has to do with history. The Jews are a people that have been separate for thousands of years. This "separateness" has led to massacre and genocide countless times over the centuries. After the last massacre was finished some Jews decided that they did not want it to happen again, ever. To this end these people are willing to do whatever it takes for keep their fellow Jews safe and the country they built intact. The later wars, Arab?Israeli/Six-Day/Yom Kippur, only cemented this ideal. Outside powers attacked and Israel, through sacrifice and cunning, was able to survive.

If you want to understand try to put yourself in that mindset. You are a people that have been massacred in the past. You finally won yourself a bit of ground but that ground is surrounded by peoples who more often than not want to cause you harm. You believe that if you let up for one second all may be lost.

Last edited:
It all has to do with history. The Jews are a people that have been separate for thousands of years. This "separateness" has led to massacre and genocide countless times over the centuries. After the last massacre was finished some Jews decided that they did not want it to happen again, ever. To this end these people are willing to do whatever it takes for keep their fellow Jews safe and the country they built intact. The later wars, Arab?Israeli/Six-Day/Yom Kippur, only cemented this ideal. Outside powers attacked and Israel, through sacrifice and cunning, was able to survive.

If you want to understand try to put yourself in that mindset. You are a people that have been massacred in the past. You finally won yourself a bit of ground but that ground is surrounded by peoples who more often than not want to cause you harm. You believe that if you let up for one second all may be lost.

I can understand that mindset, even if it a bad one to have. It does not justify their actions, nor the U.S. support of it. Turkey is a strong secular ally.

I can understand that mindset, even if it a bad one to have. It does not justify their actions, nor the U.S. support of it. Turkey is a strong secular ally.

Turkey has a whole host of problems. The whole Kurd = terrorist, Neo-Ottomanism, political instability, etc are only a few among many problems.

Israel, for all of its problems, it still the most modern, most democratic, and most "like us" country in the whole region. Some folks seem to forget that.

Turkey does have problems, but they also don't create issues with region stability.

So you are advocating political expediency on our part? To abandon our ally, the country most like us in the region, and to embrace those less like us and more likely to turn against us?

DNC chair slams Wis. gov. Walker for 'Equal Pay' repeal

The Democratic National Committee chairwoman called out Republican Gov. Scott Walker today for repealing Wisconsin's Equal Pay Enforcement Act, a law intended to lower the cost for plaintiffs suing employers for pay discrimination.

"He tried to quietly repeal the Equal Pay Act. Women aren't going to stand for that," Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz said on CNN's "State of the Union."

The law allowed for victims to sue employers in state court which is often less expensive than filing in federal court.

The Republican controlled state Senate passed the measure in November, followed by passage in the state Legislature in February. Walker then repealed it Thursday.

"The focus of the Republican Party on turning back the clock for women really is something that's unacceptable and shows how callus and insensitive they are towards women's priorities," the Florida congresswoman said.

National Republicans have yet to comment on the Wisconsin repeal but the Obama campaign has seized the opportunity to tie Walker's law to Mitt Romney, who has argued that women voters in 2012 only care about pocketbook issues.

"Does Romney think women should have ability to take their bosses to court to get the same pay as their male coworkers? Or does he stand with Governor Walker against this?" Obama campaign representative Lis Smith said Friday.

Republicans have been accused of waging a war on women since speaking out against President Obama's health care law that requires insurance companies to pay for female contraceptives.

Many religious employers objected to the rule so the administration carved out an exception for religious institutions. But Republicans, in turn, have characterized the battle as a fight for religious freedom.

But not all Democrats are convinced that the GOP is intentionally attacking women. Rep Emanuel Cleave, D-Mo., who is chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus, defended Republicans while on CNN's "State of the Union," saying that it would be "wrong" to accuse Republicans of waging a war on women.

"We have got to quit exaggerating our political differences," said Cleaver, who is also a Methodist pastor.

Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus has been dismissive of attacks by Democrats, comparing their concerns to a "war on caterpillars."

When there is a will, there is a way.

Unfortunately, though, the one time there was a will and a way and when everything looked like it's going to end well after all, all hopes were destroyed by an Israeli guy called Yigal Amir. Since then things have been going downhill again and that is an indicator, that peace and co-existence aren't really wanted from either side.

I understand the mindset of the Israelis. But their current course will lead them into a dead end. Their stubborness and pigheadedness will cost them sympathies and will alienate them more and more from their friends and allies. If it goes on like this, the probability of driving the car into a wall and making the existence of a Jewish state only a footnote in history, rises dramatically.

I think that's like saying that in order for a scrawny kid to not get bullied anymore, they should start lifting weights and gain muscle...then go around bullying others. Then when people start sticking up for those getting bullied, hide behind someone even bigger (i.e. the United States).

Israel should try to win friends, not create more enemies. Their current course will only lead to disaster. If they want peace, they will stop building the settlements...and allow the creation of a Palestinian State.

So correct me.
I believe I've done so about ten lines further up in my last post. I'm not calling you bigoted or stupid, I just think you've got a point of view and references that aren't wholly up to date, and a little narrow at that.

You seem to be very right with that. Israel's minister of interior has now forbidden Grass entrance to Israel and demands his Nobel Prize to be revoked.

That is indeed a childish reaction.
Grass' poem doesn't really defend giving him persona non grata status in my mind. That's just silly. While it is said to be based on him being in the SS during the war (he was born in 1927, which means he was 12 at the start of the war, even at that time being subjected to the indoctrination of the Hitlerjugend, he was a part of the Waffen SS at the end of the war, but he was still just 18 years of age in 1945, it's not like he masterminded extermination of jews), the timing does indicate it has more to do with his poem. I believe other critics of Israel, such as Naom Chomsky are also persona non grata in Israel.

I can't think of any critic of Norway that's persona non grata. And I can't imagine a situation where it would be. If rethoric like that of Grass is reason enough to be persona non grata, I believe the last two Israeli ambassadors to Norway should be persona non grata here, for instance.

It's just silly.

I think we can agree that there are factions on both sides that don't want peace (or a two state solution). The unfortunate part of that is the controlling party of Israel and its current leader is part of that faction, and that faction is wholly supported by the United States. This is the primary reason why peace can not be achieved at the moment. As Nomix has astutely pointed out, current Palestinian leadership are good partners to negotiate with.
Yes and no. There is the issue of the PA negotiating with Hamas (make no mistake, I think Hamas is a bunch of assholes), but on the other hand, they're an integral part of Palestinian politics, and have been for decades (ever since Mossad founded and then financed Hamas) there's no way of navigating around them in the long run.

The three biggest issues right now can be named. In no particular order; Bibi Netanyahu, Hamas as whole and Avigor Liberman. Liberman is the only real idiot of them, though.

As far as Palestinian tactics are concerned, I assume we are talking about suicide bombings for the most part. I can't even remember when the last attack was. Right now all I hear about are these purported "hundreds of rockets landing in Israel" which I think is just a distraction. So it would serve the people delivering those rockets more to stop then continue because they have zero effectiveness.
Well, the people delivering those rockets should stop delivering them because shelling civilians is wrong. It's morally bankrupt. They should stop any and all attacks on civilians today, and refrain from them in all future.

I don't necessarily oppose using violence to resist the occupation. "Stand your ground" so to speak...right? It is bad PR though and the Israelis are able to twist this into their favor.
If Israeli soldiers enter Palestinian land, they can be attacked legally by a resistance force. Which was, for reference, the actual tactic used between 1967 and 1969 in the West Bank and Gaza. It was faught with what the IDF and the Israeli government with a wonderful eufemism called "hard hand tactics", mainly aimed at civilians.

However, it would be wise to leave resistance to peaceful means. Attacking Israeli soldiers won't help the Palestinian cause.

True enough. That said, the Palestinians are the jews of the arab world. A well read chap like yourself should be aware of that.

Turkey has a whole host of problems. The whole Kurd = terrorist, Neo-Ottomanism, political instability, etc are only a few among many problems.
Turkey has so many issues it's silly. Just one thing, the fact it's illegal to write about Kurdistan in Turkey. You are put in jail for doing it. It's damned silly.

Israel, for all of its problems, it still the most modern, most democratic, and most "like us" country in the whole region. Some folks seem to forget that.
Very true. But for all its democracy of Israel, it's still on the most worrying direction, with regards to civil liberties, among western nations. And it's still occupying land, and it's arab citizens are still second class citizens, wether it be done legislatively or just in the de facto practice of society and government. The great difference in the number of building permits given to jews and arabs, for instance.

One thing is for sure: The bunker mentality will not help Israel survive, it might be even its downfall in the end. When you are surrounded by what you perceive as "enemies", you have to negotiate, talk and find a way to come to terms with them peacefully and not threaten them with military power.

In the Eye of the Storm
Israel Wary of Changes in the Arab World

By Juliane von Mittelstaedt

For decades, Israel had been hoping for change in the Arab world. Yet now that the region is in upheaval, its not just Israeli citizens who are concerned. The government has shown a preference for walling itself in rather than exploring new opportunities.

There is now a fence between Lieutenant Colonel Yoav Tilan and Egypt, and Tilan is clearly pleased about it. The fence is five meters (16 feet) tall and topped with shiny, sharp spikes. For good measure, the fence is flanked by three rows of barbed wire and an antitank ditch. From Israel's perspective, there is a good reason for the precautions. Egypt is now a perceived enemy. Seven months ago, killers crossed the border from Egypt and attacked busses and cars, killing eight Israelis.

"The border is hot," says Tilan, noting that it is now Israel's most dangerous. Border incidents, including gunfire and attempts to demolish the fence, have become an almost daily occurrence. Israeli authorities have also found explosives on several occasions.

Until recently, Tilan's job wasn't exactly a career-making position. Aside from drug smuggling, the area was so quiet that mostly reservists were sent there. In some places, the border wasn't even properly secured, consisting only of a rusty barbed-wire fence, often buried under sand and patrolled by Bedouins trained to read tracks in the desert. It was a tedious job, but revealed that illegal border crossings were common, including transgressions by off-road vehicles.

Indeed, Tilan's unit used to spend most of its time scooping up refugees from Eritrea, Ethiopia and Sudan, more than 50,000 with a few years. The refugees were the motivation behind building the fence in the first place. But then came the revolution in Egypt, and explosions targeted the gas pipeline to Israel that runs through the Sinai Peninsula a total of 13 times. And then, on Aug. 18, 2011, came the attack. After that, the government sent in elite troops, special police units, a reconnaissance brigade and armored vehicles. It also sped up construction of the fence.

Cutting the Cord

Israel has been reacting in recent months the way it so often does when threatened: by walling itself in. The Gaza Strip and the West Bank disappeared behind security walls some time ago. There are high fences along the country's other borders, as well as land mines, but now it wants to improve border security even further by building a high-tech system like the one on the border with Egypt.

The Jewish state has tried to integrate itself into the Middle East for decades. Now it is trying to cut the cord between itself and the surrounding region, blocking out the changes in its neighborhood.

A year after the beginning of the Arab rebellions, it has become a story of mistrust, fear and apathy. Politicians like President Shimon Peres had long dreamed of a "new Middle East," a zone of democracy and freedom. But now that a new Middle East is in fact taking shape, the majority of Israelis and their government are not welcoming it. Although they want democratic neighbors, they are afraid of the democratization process, especially its uncertainties, as well as the instability and loss of control. No one knows yet what the new Middle East will look like, but the government has already decided that it is better to curl up into a ball than explore its options.

Israel's caution is understandable. Turmoil in the region has often embroiled the country in wars. Three times since the beginning of the recent uprisings, Arabs have tried to storm the Israeli border from Lebanon and Syria, most recently last week. But precisely for this reason, it is astonishing to see how little initiative the country is taking to achieve lasting peace in the region, even as it pulls out all the stops to ward off the more abstract threat of a possible Iranian nuclear bomb. In fact, if Israel truly intends to attack Iran, it will be all the more important for it to emerge from its isolation.

Israel sees itself as a "villa in the jungle," as Israeli politicians say, a vulnerable island of civilization surrounded by Islamists, as if Israel were not the most politically influential and militarily powerful force in the region. It's telling that in Israel the Arab Spring is merely referred to as the "Islamic Winter." Israelis like to point out that Gaza is an illustration of what happens when Islamists come into power, even though it hardly qualifies as an example.

'Moving Backward, Not Forward'

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is quick to disabuse anyone who believes that the uprisings could also have positive consequences. The Arab rebellion is developing into an "Islamic, anti-western, anti-liberal, anti-Israeli, undemocratic wave," the premier said in November. According to Netanyahu, the Arab world is "moving not forward, but backward," and anyone who believes Arabs and democracy are compatible is na?ve.

Have the politicians' scare tactics worked? Or is Netanyahu merely expressing what his people think? In surveys, half of Israelis say that the uprisings would have a negative impact on their country. Shortly before Egyptian despot Hosni Mubarak was toppled, two-thirds of Israelis thought that this would be bad for their country. And now, as even children are being murdered in Syria, more than one in four Israelis is still convinced that bringing down the person responsible for the massacres, Syrian President Bashar Assad, would not be a good thing.

"If there is one lesson we have learned from the uprisings, it is that we must be strong," says a government advisor who prefers not to be named. Stability, security and strength -- that is Netanyahu's mantra. For him, the Arab revolutions mean no concessions, because Israel's policy, as he says, cannot be "based on illusions." One of these illusions is that peace is possible.

But what could Israel's relationship with the Arab world look like in the future? Three Israelis who are closer to the Arab world than most people in Israel explain their views of what the future could hold. The first is Lieutenant Colonel Tilan, the border patrol officer. The other two are Yitzhak Levanon, Israel's ambassador to Egypt until recently, and Lior Ben-Dor, the Foreign Ministry's Arabic media spokesman. Tilan defends Israel, Levanon represents it and Ben-Dor campaigns on its behalf.

Twice as High

At the border in the south, Tilan watches as welders reinforce the fence. The five-meter fence here is no longer high enough so they are now making it twice as high, hoping that it will prevent people from firing across it from the other side. The workers complete 400 meters (1,312 feet) a day, and the entire 240 kilometers (150 miles) are expected to be finished by the end of the year.

"Terrorists will still find ways to penetrate into Israel, by digging tunnels, attacking the fence or coming by sea," says the lieutenant colonel. According to Tilan, several groups in the Sinai Peninsula are currently preparing attacks. "Our cooperation with the Egyptians is seasonal. It depends on them how much resistance they..." -- Tilan corrects himself: "?how they want to govern the Sinai." The suspicions run deep, despite the fact that Israeli and Egyptian officials meet regularly, sometimes at the border crossing and sometimes at the fence, remaining on their respective sides -- a cautious rapprochement.

The new isolation is more evident in southern Israel than anywhere else. In Eilat on the Red Sea, the hotels are lined up along the shore, hemmed in by the Jordanian port city of Aqaba to the East and the Egyptian town of Taba to the West. In the past, Israelis ventured in both directions, but since the uprisings they have chosen to remain in Eilat, a 10-kilometer strip of land between the two borders.

Egypt, Jordan and also Turkey were long Israel's most important allies in the region. But this diplomatic network is dissolving, and new alliances with Greece, Cyprus and South Sudan have done little to help so far. By no means does the fault lie entirely with Israel, but it has also done little to improve relations. It chose not to reconcile with Turkey, and it has refused to accommodate the Palestinians at all.

Warnings against Passivity and Pessimism

In December Levanon, 67, was one of the last Israelis in Cairo, where he attended a farewell event at which the Egyptian intelligence chief gave him a model of a Pharaonic chariot. Levanon, Israel's ambassador to Egypt for more than a year, is a slim, white-haired man who can tell jokes in Arabic that even Egyptians find funny.

Levanon was in Cairo on the day in September when an agitated mob stormed the Israeli Embassy there. He was sitting in his apartment, watching the events unfold on television. He saw that policemen were standing in front of the embassy, but that they did not stop people from breaking down the walls around the building with hammers. Levanon called everyone he knew, including diplomats, intelligence officials and employees at the Egyptian Foreign Ministry. In the end, an Egyptian special-forces unit rescued the Israeli guards. Then the ambassador and his staff were flown out of the country.

"It made me sad and furious, not so much at these people but at the Mubarak regime," says Levanon. "It's a consequence of a policy that allowed the hatred to grow for decades." Mubarak was a reliable partner, on the one hand, says Levanon. On the other hand, he allowed his newspapers to agitate against Israel, creating a release valve for the anger of the poor.

Levanon's successor lives in a hotel and travels home on weekends. The entire contents of the embassy were just flown to Tel Aviv on two cargo planes. Will there ever be a real embassy again? The new wind that is blowing from Egypt isn't exactly reassuring, says Levanon. Only a few weeks ago, a committee in the Egyptian parliament declared Israel to be Egypt's "Public Enemy Number One," and recommended expelling the Israeli ambassador and terminating natural gas exports to Israel. At the same time, the ruling military council just appointed a new ambassador to Tel Aviv and brokered a cease-fire with Hamas in the Gaza Strip. In doing so, the council has made it clear that it has not changed its position.

'Little to Do with Us'

"What is happening in the Arab countries has little to do with us," says Levanon. Israel, he adds, has to give them time and, in the meantime, establish contact with all sides. It was this line of thinking that prompted Levanon to recommend talking to the Muslim Brotherhood shortly after Mubarak was ousted. "But it was turned down." Levanon believes that it could be too late for that now, while officials at the Israeli Foreign Ministry feel that it's still too early.

Israel is also restrained on the issue of Syria, and no Israeli politician has publicly called for Assad's resignation. Israel doesn't want to harm the opposition with public statements, says an advisor to the government. But many Arabs will likely interpret this as tacit support for the Assad regime.

It took a year before the Israeli foreign minister said, in early March: "The Jewish nation cannot sit by and do nothing while citizens of our neighboring country are being slaughtered." Although Israel could not intervene, he added, "it's our moral obligation to at least extend humanitarian aid and to call upon the world to stop the massacres."

Ironically, it is precisely those who were once responsible for the nation's security who are now warning against passivity and pessimism. "Obviously Israel is in the eye of the storm, but it behaves as if it were not involved in the events," writes Efraim Halevi, the former head of the Mossad, Israel's intelligence agency. Halevi insists that the uprising in Syria is an invaluable boon for Israel, because it has shattered the axis joining Iran, Syria, Hamas and Hezbollah. The latter have just questioned their support for Iran in the event of an Israeli attack. And if the Syrian aid for Hezbollah were to dry up, perhaps even Lebanon could look forward to a second Cedar Revolution.

Addressing the Arabs on Facebook

Others, like former intelligence chiefs Ami Ayalon and Me?r Dagan, advocate negotiations with the Palestinians to counter Israel's growing isolation, but the government is doing nothing -- at a time when every bit of progress would help preserve the peace with Egypt and strengthen the king in Jordan. Jordan is still quiet, but the virus of the Arab rebellion is already in the country. King Abdullah II, hoping to placate his people, has recently made public remarks critical of Israel. He hasn't sent an ambassador to Tel Aviv in two years, while the Israeli Embassy in Amman is under tighter security than many a central bank. When two Israeli psychiatrists gave a lecture in Amman recently, hundreds of students protested in front of the university. Security forces had to take the two Israelis out a back door.

Such incidents illustrate why Israel feels so threatened. On the other hand, the country has done little to address the people in neighboring countries directly, it was enough to negotiate with their rulers. The government ought to approach the Arabs now, and yet not a single Israel politician has addressed the demonstrators in Cairo or Tunis in a speech. Nevertheless, the country is cautiously putting out its feelers via the Internet.

Lior Ben-Dor, 43, is linked to exactly 103,199 Arabs, who have subscribed to the Foreign Ministry's Facebook page. The page, called "Israel Speaks Arabic," was created a year ago.

Ben-Dor, the Foreign Ministry's Arabic media spokesman, is Israel's face on Al-Jazeera. But Ben-Dor has also become active on the Internet, where he tries to tear down the walls Israel is building. He uses chats to oppose anti-Israeli propaganda, but his is only a quiet voice in a noisy environment. "After all, we don't know which of these people might become important. Or perhaps someone will just talk to his friends about Israel and stick up for us." Even Ben-Dor knows that this is little more than a vague hope.

'Little Has Changed'

He has just posted a video featuring the Israeli singer Dudu Aharon, and a dialogue is unfolding beneath the video. Between comments like "One day we'll exterminate you" and "Go to hell," there are also those who write: "Great singer." Ben-Dor's staff has weeded out 10 of 17 comments, which is about normal.

They prefer to post music videos or images of the beach in Tel Aviv. The message is simple: Israel is a harmless country where life is good. "Whenever someone indicates that he is open to our arguments, I write to him," says Ben-Dor. Sometimes he spends hours in a single chat, and he recently had a long discussion with an Egyptian journalist.

While Ben-Dor is chatting, a pencil drawing of Jordan's King Hussein is looking over his shoulder. He has drawn them all: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Syrian dictator Bashar Assad and former Egyptian President Anwar Sadat. A few months ago, he began posting his drawings on Facebook. The drawing of Assad was especially popular, partly because of the caption Ben-Dor had written next to it in Arabic: "I love my people to death."

Some 11,401 people clicked on the Assad drawing, 141 commented and 98 "liked" it. One user wrote: "Dear Israel, largest democracy in the Middle East, who will replace Assad when he is gone?" Another wrote: "Assad is a coward. He should get out." These are the kinds of responses Ben-Dor likes. "Many Arabs have never spoken with Israelis, and for many a chat with me is the first time." They have become more curious, says Ben-Dor, now that their rulers are gone, and they are asking new questions.

There are positive signs at the individual level, says the diplomat. "But by and large little has changed. They don't hate us any less than before. But not any more than before, either."

Translated from the German by Christopher Sultan

Source: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,825510,00.html

So ... it?s a month till the elections here, and the billboards of the bigger parties are all up now ...

Two thoughts from me: The far right party "pro nrw" with it?s lovley positive name has decided to counter their positive Name with a negative message "torture politicians". Wich makes them seem a lot more bipolar then they probably want to ...
Plakate_RZ3-210x300.jpg

The Social democrats are running with this one ...

2012_4_10_13_43_7_116007_995.jpg

Wich says "No Child gets left behind" ... wich is a courious choice given that anyone with some interest in american Polictics will of course be reminded of the No Child left behind Act - wich is generally not regarded as a success, especially on the left side of the political spectrum, where the SPD is situated.

A vote for the Hamburglar is a vote for the good of the nation.