X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Merkel president for life now?
    ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

Our presidency has a two-term limitation. The chancellorship not...

But Merkel is on her last term (the fourth), however this CSU revolt will play out.

Comment

Originally posted by DanRoM View Post
        [...]
        But Merkel is on her last term (the fourth), however this CSU revolt will play out.
        Did she say she will not run again? I must have missed that. I was hoping she would say it after the last election, but I didn't read or hear it ...

prizrak - she could run forever, in theory. Germanys chancellor that has stayed in office the longest was H. Kohl (16 years then voted out), if Merkel stays her whole term, she would have been in office for 16 years too. There has been speculations that she may step aside after half her term, but that's just speculations right now.

And let me add that I am for a term limit of the chancellor in Germany. 3 terms or 12 years should be enough. 16 years (or theoretically longer) is too long IMO. I don't think a 2 term limit (8 years) like the Us- president is long enough for long term stability (2 terms of 5 years, like in France - I could get behind that) - but 16 years is definetly too long.

And update: Germany still has a running government. They muddelt through (that's how the Brits say it?). I am dissapointed. In the End it was all just hot air.

beautiful language - milk&water - baseball vs. football - best god in show

Comment

Interesting. I'm all for term limits on everyone, our Congress needs that too
          ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

Originally posted by prizrak View Post
            Interesting. I'm all for term limits on everyone, our Congress needs that too
            Hear Hear!

<Ice> Oh, you're the kiddy anime guy.
            "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
            John F. Kennedy

Comment

Working...
            X