Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

On a completely different note; I must admit I'm having a lot of fun reading Conservapedia's article on Barack Hussein Obama.

I'm quoting my favs from the "Obama is likely to be first muslim president" section.

* Obama declared in prepared remarks, "The United States has been enriched by Muslim Americans. Many other Americans have Muslims in their families or have lived in a Muslim-majority country - I know, because I am one of them."[53]
So he has muslims in his family?

* Obama's background, education, and outlook are Muslim, and fewer than 1% of Muslims convert to Christianity.
What's a muslim outlook, background and education?

* He has said that "Islam can be compatible with the modern world."
He MUST be a muslim if he doesn't hate Islam, isn't that just marvelous? :D

* Obama stated that the autobiography of Malcolm X, a Nation of Islam leader who became a Muslim, inspired him in his youth.
Martin Luther King jr. has been an influence to me, but I wouldn't say I'm a baptist..

* In the book Obama,"Renegade" his friends say that "he actually really wasn't much of a churchgoer."
Right. So I'm a muslim?

* On the campaign trail, Obama was reading "The Post-American World" by Fareed Zakaria,[66] which is written from a Muslim point-of-view.
Right..

* Contrary to Christianity, the Islamic doctrine of taqiyya encourages adherents to deny they are Muslim if it advances the cause of Islam.
OH MY GOD! GEORGE W. BUSH IS A MUSLIM!

* Obama enjoyed a bigger increase in voter support in 2008 (compared to 2004) by Muslims than by any other voting group, including blacks;[72] "Muslim turnout in the U.S. elections reached 95 percent, the highest Muslim turnout in U.S. history."[73]
Suprising when he didn't go out of his way to indicate that Islam was an enemy. Weird stuff.

But good marks for consitency..

In the years 2000 through 2004, before becoming a United States Senator and being in the public spotlight, Obama gave 1% of his earnings to charity even though he made $250,000 per year. Since becoming a national figure, that amount has jumped to 6%.[187] Obama's small donations are consistent with atheism and were perhaps influenced by his nonbelieving mother. It is well known that atheists give less per capita in donations than religious Americans.

HE'S A MUSLIM ATHEIST! OH MY GOD!

On a completely different note; I must admit I'm having a lot of fun reading Conservapedia's article on Barack Hussein Obama.

I'm quoting my favs from the "Obama is likely to be first muslim president" section.

So he has muslims in his family?

What's a muslim outlook, background and education?

He MUST be a muslim if he doesn't hate Islam, isn't that just marvelous? :D

Martin Luther King jr. has been an influence to me, but I wouldn't say I'm a baptist..

Right. So I'm a muslim?

Right..

OH MY GOD! GEORGE W. BUSH IS A MUSLIM!

Suprising when he didn't go out of his way to indicate that Islam was an enemy. Weird stuff.

But good marks for consitency..

HE'S A MUSLIM ATHEIST! OH MY GOD!

:lol: Brilliant. I may not favour the current US president but the crazie's attempts to discredit him with "OMG A MUSLIM LIKE EVIL!!111" are pretty hilarious. +1 to you sir.

Were there any "Obama hates babies and makes death panels" things in there as well?

THere's a reference to Obamunism, if that counts. I wonder if they wanted people to think of "communism" or "liberalism" when they coined that term.

Comunism works...(NOT)

Four Cuban cagers go AWOL in Canary Islands

MADRID ? Four members of Cuba?s team have gone missing in the Canary Islands and may claim political asylum, said the president of the islands? basketball federation.

Five players originally went AWOL and only one of them turned up for the flight back to Havana on Monday, federation head Jose Armas told the Spanish media.

"We know what sportsmen and women tend to do when they leave Cuba and travel to compete in another country, request political asylum," Armas said.

Spain?s basketball federation (FEB) was unavailable for comment and the interior ministry said it would be unable to confirm the players? absence unless they claimed asylum. Cuba lost 94-57 to Spain in Las Palmas on Friday. ? Reuters

http://www.bworldonline.com/BW081909/content.php?id=177

In closer to home (for me) news, there's been discussion over the future over the Lockerbie bomber, who blew up a Pan Am flight over Scotland in 1988, killing 270.

He's suffering from terminal prostate cancer and has less than a year to live. He's currently in Greenock Prison, in Scotland. His release (or lack of thereof) is down to Kenny McAskill, Scottish Justice Secretary, and the SNP - in charge in Scotland. Pleasingly, Gordon Brown and Labour have no say in the matter.

There are a few arguments here. One - for a "compassionate release" - is that, since he has not long to live, he should be transferred to a Libyan prison or released. The other says that he should serve his entire sentence for what he did. This is complicated by the small but vocal movement who says he should be retried.

Hillary Clinton, of all people, phoned Scotland last week to reiterate, on behalf of the American families of the victims, that the bomber should stay in jail. Some of the UK victims' families want his release, though.

Thoughts? Link, too.

Let him rot.

He should have been executed.

Luckily, the brits don't prove that murder is not okay by murdering people who commit murder anymore.

1=270, right?

Massmurder is still murder. Murder is murder. State murder is murder. Even if you give it a different name.

I agree with you its still murder. One guy deserves it, 270 people didn't.

Death penalty makes no sense whatsoever because being dead is not a bad thing. Being in prison for the rest of your life is. Especially if that rest is a long one.

In closer to home (for me) news, there's been discussion over the future over the Lockerbie bomber, who blew up a Pan Am flight over Scotland in 1988, killing 270.

He's suffering from terminal prostate cancer and has less than a year to live. He's currently in Greenock Prison, in Scotland. His release (or lack of thereof) is down to Kenny McAskill, Scottish Justice Secretary, and the SNP - in charge in Scotland. Pleasingly, Gordon Brown and Labour have no say in the matter.

There are a few arguments here. One - for a "compassionate release" - is that, since he has not long to live, he should be transferred to a Libyan prison or released. The other says that he should serve his entire sentence for what he did. This is complicated by the small but vocal movement who says he should be retried.

Hillary Clinton, of all people, phoned Scotland last week to reiterate, on behalf of the American families of the victims, that the bomber should stay in jail. Some of the UK victims' families want his release, though.

Thoughts? Link, too.

why the fuck should compassion be shown to someone who showed none

How is death not a bad thing?

He should have been executed.
^this. I am perfectly fine with state murder.
Death penalty makes no sense whatsoever because being dead is not a bad thing. Being in prison for the rest of your life is. Especially if that rest is a long one.
You are one fearless motherfucker.

^this. I am perfectly fine with state murder.

Indeed. I consider countries without the death penalty less civilized as opposed to more.

Lately I have been thinking about punishment in a modern country. It is in my opinion that physical public punishment should be brought back into use. Instead of a prison sentence for some crimes, prisons being costly luxuries, the punishment could be a public whipping or caning. It would cheap and simple. The criminal could feel the pain and the scares of their punishment.

In addition I think executions should be public. Putting it behind closed doors only reduces its effectiveness as a punishment.

I agree with you its still murder. One guy deserves it, 270 people didn't.
It's not about who deserve it or not. I am quite sure you could find a lot of people in Iraq who think Bush deserves the death penalty, and I could find a lot of people in Bethlehem who'd love to see Ariel Sharon hang (a little late now, but the point stands).

But it's a principal question of wether the state should be above petty murder. I happen to think it should be. If we let the state murder people, we get down and dirty with the murderers. And that, I can't accept.

How is death not a bad thing?
Cause it's over quite swiftly. The guy who dies'll probably end up really scared in the time before he's murdered, but then it's over.

Thankfully, there is enough doubt about the evidence from sensible people. The other side, however...

[YOUTUBE]k3jt5ibfRzw[/YOUTUBE]

Indeed. I consider countries without the death penalty less civilized as opposed to more.

Lately I have been thinking about punishment in a modern country. It is in my opinion that physical public punishment should be brought back into use. Instead of a prison sentence for some crimes, prisons being costly luxuries, the punishment could be a public whipping or caning. It would cheap and simple. The criminal could feel the pain and the scares of their punishment.

In addition I think executions should be public. Putting it behind closed doors only reduces its effectiveness as a punishment.
And here is a case in going too far. Would you like a ticket to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?