Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

I set up a thread on its own for Assange, it seems that this thread has mostly US election stuff in it, but happy to close mine off / have it closed by Mods, if that would be better.

Yes. So let's talk about swearing.

Can anyone put forward a single coherent government why swearing is an inherently bad thing?

I'm not thinking of how you're percieved, because that would be an argument against not just words like "cool" and "awsome" at some point in time, it would also be an argument against being female, black, brown and from Yawkshire.

Can anyone explain how swearing is inherently bad? I'm fucking tired of that idea.

Profanity makes talking fun.

A well placed curse word here or there can spice up a conversation, but the constant use, IMHO, can make you seem less intelligent. That and if your mom catches you, she'll wash your mouth out with soap.

What counts as a curse word or not is also quite fun to define.

Case in Point, my little nephew (in a "no-bad words" household) is allowed to watch this animated Tv-Show every weekday about Pirates ... and they constandly curse. But .. since this a childrens progam, they don?t say (the german words equivalent to) fuck, shit, asshole etc ... they use fantasy, funny words or words that usally have a different meaning. So when a cannonball lands on a pirates foot, he yells something nonsensical like (I can?t remember so I make this up now) "butterfly" wich is (in this context) a curse word meaning "shit" or "fuck". And my nephew runs around screaming butterfly whenever something falls over or so.
But the fact of the matter is ... he is cursing. And this has nothing to do with the words he?s using.
He?s learned to "beat the system" at such a young age, his uncle is mighty proud of him :D

Profanity makes talking fun.

A well placed curse word here or there can spice up a conversation, but the constant use, IMHO, can make you seem less intelligent. That and if your mom catches you, she'll wash your mouth out with soap.
First of all, my mother swears as much as I do. Granny swears a little less, but not by much. So no soapy water in this civilized and rational part of the world. :p

Some may regard you as less intelligent. But I don't think it's down to swearing itself, I think it's a combination of factors, from how you're presenting yourself visually, the tone of your voice and the context, combined with the words. In all, the way you're seen. It's an old myth that people who swear have a poor vocabulary. I do have a less than perfect vocabulary in English, but I can assure you that's not the case with my native language. Anyhow.

I know a great number of words. And I swear. If someone were to know the same number of words as me, except for the swear words, that person would have a smaller, more limited vocabulary.

The argument seems to be, we can live without swearing. Yes. We could. But why? We could live without a load of things, doesn't mean we should fight it.

What counts as a curse word or not is also quite fun to define.

Case in Point, my little nephew (in a "no-bad words" household) is allowed to watch this animated Tv-Show every weekday about Pirates ... and they constandly curse. But .. since this a childrens progam, they don?t say (the german words equivalent to) fuck, shit, asshole etc ... they use fantasy, funny words or words that usally have a different meaning. So when a cannonball lands on a pirates foot, he yells something nonsensical like (I can?t remember so I make this up now) "butterfly" wich is (in this context) a curse word meaning "shit" or "fuck". And my nephew runs around screaming butterfly whenever something falls over or so.
But the fact of the matter is ... he is cursing. And this has nothing to do with the words he?s using.
He?s learned to "beat the system" at such a young age, his uncle is mighty proud of him :D
?How can you conceivably trust the Lib Dems! Spineless, protoplasmic, invertebrate amoebic fibbers ? Janus-faced!?
- Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

What's the doing? He's swearing. But he's doing it as a classical scholar. So it's okay. I think so. I love it. It's the kind of smart, intelligent use of swearing that inriches the language especially.

Another argument, is to equate using words like "nigger" to using words like "fuck". Which is idiotic.

I had a conversation with a priest about swearing a few years ago. He taught the worst swear words were 'herregud', literary translated as "Master God", perhaps equated to "Dear Lord". That's the worst swear word imaginable to him.

I just get tired of this notion it's "important" to make sure kids don't swear. It's just stupid, it's like saying it's important that children don't mention colors or adverbs. Seriously, it's one of the worst wastes of time I know about. It takes away time and resources from other things, really important things. It's a notion it's inherently bad.

But it isn't. It's made up. People have decided it's bad, so it is. But it isn't.

I do draw a line, though. It's not okay for a school child to say "fuck off you fucking shit" to a fellow pupil or a teacher or member of staff. That's wrong. But it's idiotic to stop pupils saying "that exam was fucking hard". That's wrong.

I'm not inpolite when I swear. I'm being polite, while swearing. It's much more impolite things to do that does not seem to draw in the crusades that swearing gets. I've got a big problem with that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19286023
A leading figure in Hungary's far right Jobbik Party has been forced to resign after being exposed as Jewish.
Csanad Szegedi's grandmother was an Auschwitz survivor and his grandfather a veteran of forced labour camps.[...]

Some stories you just couldn?t write as good as life already delivers them ...

First of all, my mother swears as much as I do. Granny swears a little less, but not by much. So no soapy water in this civilized and rational part of the world. :p

Some may regard you as less intelligent. But I don't think it's down to swearing itself, I think it's a combination of factors, from how you're presenting yourself visually, the tone of your voice and the context, combined with the words. In all, the way you're seen. It's an old myth that people who swear have a poor vocabulary. I do have a less than perfect vocabulary in English, but I can assure you that's not the case with my native language. Anyhow.

I know a great number of words. And I swear. If someone were to know the same number of words as me, except for the swear words, that person would have a smaller, more limited vocabulary.

The argument seems to be, we can live without swearing. Yes. We could. But why? We could live without a load of things, doesn't mean we should fight it.

I'm not saying that all that swear are unintelligent. I should have included my example in there. We have a guy that works for us that every other word out of his mouth is fuck, mother fucker, cock sucker or any other of the many colorful words we count as swearing. He's originally from Baltimore (I'm not sure why that's relevant, but I thought I'd include it). The problem with this is when he has any interaction with a customer they think he's being rude, but he's just being himself.

I swear, but it's usually in exclamation of a problem or for comedic effect.

You have to adapt to your environment. I'm careful around some, but I do believe school is not one of those places, not even for young children. Church is one such place, it is a matter of respect, not politeness, but respect. Another place is older people who really take issue with it. I am not saying you swear for the benefit of swearing, but I don't think it's worth campaigning against it.

There are a lot of things you wouldn't do when you're with your grandmother. No one would be taken seriously if they tried to convince the great british public that children shouldn't play cops and robbers because there are places where it isn't appropriate. Anyone suggesting that would look dafter than Nick Griffin.

My thoughts on swearing: Everyone cusses. Everyone. I live in a town full of Mormons who say they don't swear, but it's simply not true. Oh sure, they don't say "fuck" "shit" "cock" or "cunt" - along with a whole stack of other "bad" words. Instead they say, "fudge" or "snikerdoodles" or some other stand-in - but the meaning of the word is the same. See, the words themselves are not "bad" nor are the meanings "bad" it's the context that gives words meanings and the context of saying "Oh Fuuu-dge" when hitting your thumb with a hammer is exactly the same as saying "Fuck!"

So I cuss, frequently and unapologetically.

That's a racial slur, completely different.

However, my grandfather was from Mississippi. He had no problem using the N word. Though he was from a different era, I'm not saying it was right, just a different place and time from the world we live in today.

My thoughts on swearing: Everyone cusses. Everyone. I live in a town full of Mormons who say they don't swear, but it's simply not true. Oh sure, they don't say "fuck" "shit" "cock" or "cunt" - along with a whole stack of other "bad" words. Instead they say, "fudge" or "snikerdoodles" or some other stand-in - but the meaning of the word is the same. See, the words themselves are not "bad" nor are the meanings "bad" it's the context that gives words meanings and the context of saying "Oh Fuuu-dge" when hitting your thumb with a hammer is exactly the same as saying "Fuck!"

So I cuss, frequently and unapologetically.
Good for you, Sir.

There is one word I will not even write and it begins with N. It is not swearing, it is far worse than that.
I don't use the ni-word, but I have on occation used the ne-word. It's not that I'm a racist, far from it, but I use it, along with buddies, in the ironic way some people drink whisky they don't like and listen to music from the 80s that really sucks. And I never do it in public, in case I hurt someone.

Nigger

You are foreign and using a second language, plus Sweden as far as I know never profited from trade in, nor employed slaves. Now - Don't do that again.

Nigger

I refuse to censor myself because someone is giving power to a word.
And that is all that it is, a word.