Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

If it is never spoken, the next generation will not learn how it was used, and fail to use it properly. :p

Err, I mean why it should never be used in hate. :D

You are foreign and using a second language, plus Sweden as far as I know never profited from trade in, nor employed slaves. Now - Don't do that again.
Sweden had colonies and ran a slave trade.

The order is for .357 SIG pistol ammo. There are many Social Security offices and those offices have guards. If the order was for 120mm tank rounds then I might be worried.

Why is everyone in the comment section of newspaper articles, for the most part, completely brain dead?

Why is everyone in the comment section of newspaper articles, for the most part, completely brain dead?
It's because extremism begins to seep in, and once normal, common people start getting tired of being called a nazi communist for supporting position x, or being called a "lakei for the jews" for oposing the idea that the jews control the world, they flee like a flock of stunned oxen. It's a vicous, bad circle, and there two options that tend to work.

One is to moderate the debate ex post facto, so as to remove any post that's over the top, seriously off topic (like asking why Obama's fatwah on christmas or the fact he's introducing sharia law to the US isn't reported in the news, when the article was about reforming social security), inane conspiracies about jews and birthers and personal attacks of a certain nature, plus trolling. That works very well. It leaves a vibrant debate without a lot of the rubbish. But it all has to be done in the spirit of promiting debate. An old moderator chap of mine usually say "we don't moderate opinions, we moderate people". That's what it's all about.

The second way is to demand people post under their own full names, and have them confirm those names by a phone number of whatnot. That's stops most of the bullshit but leads to a dead debate with no real fizz.

For once, I actually know what I'm talking about. Been doing professional moderating on the web for the last six or seven years. :p

Why bother reading the comments then?
Because they're hilarious (try the Daily Mail), and because someone's got to act as a counter weight. I once defended Prezza in the DM comments section. I think I got 200 red arrows in an hour. Hilarious.

That's a racial slur, completely different.

However, my grandfather was from Mississippi. He had no problem using the N word. Though he was from a different era, I'm not saying it was right, just a different place and time from the world we live in today.

My parents if referring to someone who is of African descent, uses the words "colored" or "negro". They will not, can not and refuse to call someone black; when they were young (1930s and 40s) to call someone black was quite an insult, and was good grounds to get a bloody nose or a split lip.

I have never heard my parents say that OTHER word, nor point other "races" differences; it was the insecure jealous boy two doors down from me who corrupted my mind with his parents middle class racism. I hate him for that; until age 8 I did not know my best friend Kurt was black.

Last edited:
Why bother reading the comments then?

Because as nomix's has pointed out, the comments are hilarious.

It's because extremism begins to seep in, and once normal, common people start getting tired of being called a nazi communist for supporting position x, or being called a "lakei for the jews" for oposing the idea that the jews control the world, they flee like a flock of stunned oxen. It's a vicous, bad circle, and there two options that tend to work.

One is to moderate the debate ex post facto, so as to remove any post that's over the top, seriously off topic (like asking why Obama's fatwah on christmas or the fact he's introducing sharia law to the US isn't reported in the news, when the article was about reforming social security), inane conspiracies about jews and birthers and personal attacks of a certain nature, plus trolling. That works very well. It leaves a vibrant debate without a lot of the rubbish. But it all has to be done in the spirit of promiting debate. An old moderator chap of mine usually say "we don't moderate opinions, we moderate people". That's what it's all about.

The second way is to demand people post under their own full names, and have them confirm those names by a phone number of whatnot. That's stops most of the bullshit but leads to a dead debate with no real fizz.

For once, I actually know what I'm talking about. Been doing professional moderating on the web for the last six or seven years. :p

No doubt and I knew the answer, I guess it's still astonishing sometimes.

There is one word I will not even write and it begins with N. It is not swearing, it is far worse than that.

'Funny' thing is that when someone who speaks Spanish uses the word "negro", which just translates as "black" in English, loads of English speaking people also consider that to be racist just beacuse they used that word as a racial slur in their own language...

I can tell the difference, but then I have a good Spanish friend. The pronunciation is different and the context would probably also be different.

School withholds valedictorian's diploma over the word "hell" in her commencement address.

http://kfor.com/2012/08/18/46913/

PRAGUE, Okla.? There?s a bit of diploma drama going on between a local high school and that school?s valedictorian.

David Nootbaar is furious his daughter?s school is keeping her diploma.

He said, ?She has worked so hard to stay at the top of her class and this is not right.?

Kaitlin Nootbaar graduated from Prague High School, the Red Devils, in May and was named valedictorian.

When tasked with writing the graduation speech, her dad said she got her inspiration from the movie ?Eclipse: The Twilight Saga.?

Nootbaar said, ?Her quote was, ?When she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation, people would ask her, what do you want to do and she said how the hell do I know? I?ve changed my mind so many times.??

He said in the written script she gave to the school she wrote ?heck,? but in the moment she said ?hell? instead.

Nootbaar said the audience laughed, she finished her speech to warm applause and didn?t know there was a problem.

That was until she went to pick up the real certificate this week.

?We went to the office and asked for the diploma and the principal said, ?Your diploma is right here but you?re not getting it. Close the door; we have a problem,?? Nootbaar said.

He said the principal told Kaitlin she would have to write an apology letter before he would release the diploma.

A move her dad believes is illegal.

?She earned that diploma. She completed all the state curriculum. In four years she has never made a B. She got straight A?s and had a 4.0 the whole way through.?

Kaitlin starts college in a few days on a full scholarship, making the administrators? decision even more appalling to her family.

We tried to get the school?s side of the story.

Superintendent Dr. Rick Martin said in a statement, ?This matter is confidential and we cannot publicly say anything about it.?

Kaitlin doesn?t plan on writing an apology letter because she doesn?t feel she did anything wrong.

Her family supports that choice.

gotta love the irony of this given the name of the school's mascot.

School withholds valedictorian's diploma over the word "hell" in her commencement address

Irony is one of the finest ways through which the world tells us we are being stupid. In this case, it works perfectly well. I hope the girl will receive her diploma.

Prague High school seems to be a public high school, if I am right, there will at least be no question of wether or not this is legal, any reasonable interpretation of the first ammendment and related judicial practice should really indicate that an organ of the government can't penalize a student like this over said student's assertion of her right to free speech.

Or am I reading this too simply? The principle should remove the stick he's got in his arse. He really does seem like a very silly and simple person.

Other than that, this post was supposed to be here, not in that thread.

Thanks to the BBC and the Guardian for the superb dramatisation of last years riots. Good way of doing it.

"The crowd realised that we were not moving forward, because we had too few officers."

Thanks to the BBC and the Guardian for the superb dramatisation of last years riots. Good way of doing it.

"The crowd realised that we were not moving forward, because we had too few officers."

If you are refering to last night's BBC documentary, being replayed now, I agree. A very interesting documentary.

BBC TV - The Riots: In Their Own Words - Part 2 The Police

Last week, it was the "rioters" who had their say, though looters and yobs would be a more accurate description. The two documentaries were scheduled to be shown in July, but were held up by Judge on a pending court case.

No incidents this year, maybe becuase the perpretrators found out afterwards, that thousands got quickly arrested, processed by the courts with no bail and then sent to jail for a long time when found guilty.

It wasn't the free ride they thought it was going to be.

Last edited:
School withholds valedictorian's diploma over the word "hell" in her commencement address.

http://kfor.com/2012/08/18/46913/

Jehova, Jevoha, Jehova - splattttt.

Hell I am I glad that we have become civilised and don't go around stoning people anymore - what?

speaking of the comment section of online news articles..... http://www.local10.com/sports/LeBro...mit/-/1717082/16203796/-/basurmz/-/index.html

the amount of racism that still brews is fascinating.
Yeah. And if it's pointed out, the response is always stuff like "why is it that when people tell the truth about race, they're allways put down?". These kinds of people are the people who would read the Sun, they are, to a certain degree, very unintelligent. Not because they're right wing, but because they spout incredible amounts of effing bullshit.

If you are refering to last night's BBC documentary, being replayed now, I agree. A very interesting documentary.

BBC TV - The Riots: In Their Own Words - Part 2 The Police

Last week, it was the "rioters" who had their say, though looters and yobs would be a more accurate description. The two documentaries were scheduled to be shown in July, but were held up by Judge on a pending court case.

No incidents this year, maybe becuase the perpretrators found out afterwards, that thousands got quickly arrested, processed by the courts with no bail and then sent to jail for a long time when found guilty.

It wasn't the free ride they thought it was going to be.
If we're to refer to the rioters as yobs, and I agree a large number of them were, I think quite a lot of police officers should be referred to as "racist power mad bastards". Not all, very, very far from it. But a relatively large number.

As for the people arrested after the riots, I'm a little split. Breaking the law is criminal and illegal and all that, but some of the penalties dolled out on rioters and riot-related crimes have just been redicilous. I just don't accept the rationale of making an example of someone.

Then again, someone has to make sure the criminal classes get the recruitment they sorely need. So it makes sense to send first time offenders to jail, I suppose.

What if somebody raped Todd Akin?
Sadly, Todd Akin can't get pregnant. He hasn't got a womb. But I suppose we could introduce a fetus into his colon. See if he wants to remove it.