Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chaos in Japan - Earthquake, Tsunami, Nuclear plant on fire...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing, even with all our wonderous modern technology and gadgets, how nature and Earth can still remind us that we are far from the dominant force on this planet. Really puts into a new perspective our various "disagreements" going on between the human race around the world today, and how relatively petty they may seem next to the raw power of physics.
    Last edited by Backdraft; March 11th, 2011, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirahime View Post
      I actually gave some of my "friends" on facebook a public bollocking about that, saying how it's the sign of impending end of days. I think they're media persuaded idiots. I don't think they realise that natural disasters like this happen all the time at random points and have done since well, whenever.
      I would bet real money, that if you made a survey asking people if they believe that the recently increasing amount of earth quakes has to do with global warming, a big percentage would answer "Yes".

Originally posted by DanRoM View Post
      Your comment in the OT thread was probably more political than anything written in this one, because the use of nuclear power and its consequences are very political.
      Alright, I make those comments here then
      “If Liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" (George Orwell)

Comment

Originally posted by MacGuffin View Post
        I would bet real money, that if you made a survey asking people if they believe that the recently increasing amount of earth quakes has to do with global warming, a big percentage would answer "Yes".
        Oh sorry, my reply was more in reference to the influx of disasters and 2012.

Comment

This event is just awful, my condolences to the families and friends of those who have died.

Good to hear from KaJuN and Hansvonaxion, any other FG members there?

Comment

An another nuclear plant in Fukushima is in big trouble, coolingsystems and ermegency electricalsuply for it are off, Chernobyl-scenario might about to happen!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,2627198.story
            Japan trying to prevent meltdown at nuclear plant in Fukushima
            What an horror!
            OOOO
            Vorsprung durch Technik!

Comment

Yeah, too bad those nuclear power plants don't have an "OFF" button.
              “If Liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" (George Orwell)

Comment

Fukushima is where the in-laws live, but they're all safe... so far!

Thanks guys.

Only problem now is no gas, so no hot water.

Looking at the destruction on TV I wouldn't know where to start. You can't walk or drive through the towns, they would have to be cleared with heavy machinery and even that would take a long time. I feel for the people trapped there.

Comment

Glad to hear that FG-ers are ok.

The wave video is the craziest thing I've ever seen. When I first saw it I literally thought "why are they showing CGI on the news?"
                  "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
                  2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Backdraft View Post
                    Amazing, even with all our wonderous modern technology and gadgets, how nature and Earth can still remind us that we are far from the dominant force on this planet. Really puts into a new perspective our various "disagreements" going on between the human race around the world today, and how relatively petty they may seem next to the raw power of physics.
                    Every time I hear how we are the dominant force on the planet, I remind those speaking of how foolish they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krakatoa

Krakatoa (Indonesian: Krakatau), is a volcanic island made of a'a lava[2] in the Sunda Strait between the islands of Java and Sumatra in Indonesia. The name is used for the island group, the main island (also called Rakata), and the volcano as a whole. The island exploded in 1883, killing approximately 40,000 people, although some estimates put the death toll much higher. The explosion is still considered to be the loudest sound ever heard in modern history, with reports of it being heard nearly 3,000 miles (4,828 km) from its point of origin. The shock wave from the explosion was recorded on barographs around the globe.
                    "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

The quake shifted the earths axial tilt about a decimeter to the left, the italian national institute for geophysics report, altough they add that there is nothing to be afraid of, it happens when there are big quakes. But it is food for thought just how massive this quake was.

Comment

The building housing Fukushima's number one reactor exploded today, but the reactor itself is still intact. Radiation levels have actually fallen since the explosion.

Much like the '04 Indian Ocean tsunami, I can't even fathom that level of destruction. Seen some pretty nasty tornadoes, but never anything close to that. Good to hear hans and Kajun are alright, I hope any other Japanese FG'ers are as well.
                        Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360

Comment

Wonder why you dont hear news like "Japans strict building code saves millions"

Also wonder why people arent afarid of Dams, so far they have cause more damage in Fukushima than the nuclear plant
                          http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226020153220

And, yes, I know why dont make big news about them, which is sad

Comment

they will cover the rest in a wrap up story in weeks to follow, but for now they will follow the "miracles" and the soon to be Armageddon.
                            "I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

"No man's life, liberty or happiness are safe while Congress is in session,"- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Backdraft View Post
                              I think thats one area where some people properly under-estimate. They think they mother nature can be tamed.... Yet the power of nature absolutely dwarfs anything we can do. I heard a cool little tid-bit earlier... a 9.0 on the richter scale releases enough energy to power the UK for a year (something like that). Think of all the kWh's! and then imagine all that relased in the space of a few seconds. We're all at the mercy of nature and we always will be.
                              Transport History:
                              96' Ford Ka 1.3
                              02' Ford Focus 1.4 CL
                              03' Skoda Superb 1.9 TDi + 06' Honda Civic ES 1.8 i-Vtec

Comment

Originally posted by BBC
                                Engineers at Japan's stricken Fukushima nuclear power plant have successfully connected a power line to reactor 2, the UN's nuclear watchdog reports.

Restoring power should enable engineers to restart the pumps which send coolant over the reactor.
                                http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12779512

Good news.

Comment

Japan tsunami was at least 23-metres high
                                  OSAKA, Japan - The tsunami that devastated northeastern Japan in the March 11 earthquake was at least 23 metres (76 feet) high according to a Japanese study, the Yomiuri daily said Friday.

The Port and Airport Research Institute recorded the massive tsunami in Ofunato, Iwate prefecture that swept away entire towns, the Japanese daily said.

Japan's biggest-ever tsunami was recorded at 38.2-metres high in a massive 1896 earthquake.

An official with the institute said that without the coastal levee that did not exist in 1896, the latest tsunami was likely to be the biggest ever to hit Japan.

The study was conducted Friday using global positioning system (GPS) and measuring instruments.

The Geospatial Information Authority of Japan said that at least some 400 square kilometres were flooded in the March 11 tsunami.

The figure may be revised upward as the survey using aerial photos has yet to analyse 20 percent of the affected area.
                                  http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-fi...es-high-report

Last edited by AiR; March 18th, 2011, 5:33 PM.

Comment

For that nuke plant.... Its right next to the sea (ideal spot, vast heat sink right on your door step and a nice supply of cold water and no need for cooling towers).

So the earthquake stopped the turbine train and also knocked out the back up power to power the cooling circuit, that or the cooling circuit is damaged. Either way, I was thinking why not have some emergency water pumps, mobile pumps even... or even better just have the fire service (nuke plants should have their own anyway) operate their tenders as pumps. One end in the sea, the other end connected to a emergency connector that feeds into the cooling loop. Ok its not ideal pumping sea water straight into a reactor cooling circuit (it might not even be a good idea, I dont know how salty water would behave) but it might work as a band aid cooling method?

Though I suppose the main loop is pressurised isnt it? hmmmm difficult one. Perhaps they would have the above method as an emergency atmospheric pressure cooling loop, but then it would turn to steam rapidly and that probably causes more problems than it solves. (radioactive steam at that).

Dont suppose they could fly in some big gas turbine gen sets? (you can get them that fit in a shipping container) to be a power supply for the cooling pumps, but then thats all for nothing if the circuits physically damaged and water cant flow. sorry Im thinking out loud here, a back up system for the back up system doesnt seem to be as simple as it might sound.
                                    Transport History:
                                    96' Ford Ka 1.3
                                    02' Ford Focus 1.4 CL
                                    03' Skoda Superb 1.9 TDi + 06' Honda Civic ES 1.8 i-Vtec

Comment

Via to XKCD
                                      "The beatings will continue until morale improves".

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Recieved some pictures in my inbox this morning, one of which I had to post.

The yellow things are straddle carriers

Comment

This needs to be updated as they are still having problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/28/wo...a/28japan.html

Another article

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110327/...us_japan_quake

And one more that shows that TEPCO was warned of geologic data that showed larger waves have hit there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110327/...e_tsunami_risk

Comment

Working...
                                          X