Chaos in Japan - Earthquake, Tsunami, Nuclear plant on fire...

AudiV6

Car(s)
06' Audi A6 3.0l TDI q, 05' BMW 520i E60
Total Chaos in Japan, an massive Earthquake hit Japan at 2:45pm JST (8,8/8,9), causing an massive Tsunami, a fire at an Nuclear plant in Onagawa and a massive explosion at an Oilrafinary!

German seismology's even recorded the Earthquake even from Europe, it's the 5th violentest Earthquake to ever struck the Earth planet.

There's even a Tsunami warning for the westcoast of the USA!
http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/03/11/2305441/coastal-northern-california-under.html
MONTEREY, Calif. -- Coastal Northern California is under a tsunami warning following a massive earthquake that struck off northeastern Japan.

National Weather Service meteorologist Matt Mehle in Monterey says some of the biggest waves are expected to hit Crescent City around 7 a.m. He says wave heights between 6-and-7 feet are expected there. Crescent City is located about 20 miles south of the Oregon border.

The Marin County coast south to Monterey is expected to see wave heights of about 2 feet beginning at around 8 a.m.

The West Coast-Alaska Tsunami Warning Center says residents who are near the beach or in low-lying areas should move immediately to higher ground. Dangerous coastal flooding accompanied by powerful currents is possible and may continue for several hours after arrival of the initial wave.

Read more: http://www.fresnobee.com/2011/03/11/2305441/coastal-northern-california-under.html#ixzz1GI9cQSJV

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...causes-fire-at-nuclear-plant-115875-22982285/
Japan earthquake causes fire at nuclear plant

11/03/2011

The massive earthquake which struck today off the coast of Japan has sparked a fire at a nuclear plant.

Several nuclear plants along the coast were partially shut down after the 8.9 quake, but there were no reports of any radioactive leaks.

The quake started a fire in a turbine building at nuclear power plant in north-eastern Japan, but the reactor building was reported to be secure.

Tohoku Electric Power said smoke was observed coming out of the building, which is separate from the reactor, and the cause was under investigation. The plant is in Miyagi prefecture.

The company said there have been no reports of radioactive leaks or injuries.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-st...-nuclear-plant-115875-22982285/#ixzz1GIA1vrOo
Go Camping for 95p! Vouchers collectable in the Daily and Sunday Mirror until 11th August . Click here for more information

http://uk.ibtimes.com/articles/1216...fter-quake-tsunami-japan-quake-death-toll.htm
Japan death toll touches 26 after massive earthquake

The death toll from the massive quake that hit northeast Japan on Friday, causing many injuries, fires and a four-metre (13-ft) tsunami along the country's Pacific coast, has reached 26, local media reported.

The US Geological Survey said the epicenter was about 250 miles from Tokyo at a depth of 20 miles. The quake's magnitude was recorded 8.9 on Richter scale.

About 20 were injured and many are still missing, including a number of children who were sucked into the sea following the quake, the public broadcaster said.

Among the dead in Tokyo, were a 67 year old man who was crushed by a wall and an elderly woman killed under a fallen roof, the report said. Two deaths are reported due to collapsing wall at a Honda factory in Tochigi prefecture.

According to media reports, collapsed buildings caused three more deaths as the earthquake caused buildings to shake violently in the capital Tokyo.

About eight people were missing in a landslide in Fukushima prefecture, Kyodo News agency said.

While the massive earthquake is being considered more powerful than the last month's New Zealand quake, authorities are expecting a rise in death toll.

Map_of_Sendai_Earthquake_2011.jpg

The big red dot shows the epicentre about 125 miles away (200km) from Sendai, Eastcoast, Japan. (Source Wikipedia)

Last edited:
:motherofgod:

(Normally i'd consider this in bad taste, but having been watching the footage coming out of Japan, I think this is the only thing that accurately covers it, they're the sort of scenes you'd expect in 2012, not in real life!)

Seconded. Working at home today and watching it unfold on the news. The aftereffects on Japan are beyond comprehension right now. It will have massive impact on food stocks as the area swept away by the tsunami waters is mostly agrarian, so while the death toll may be relatively low compared to the 6000+ at Kobe, the overall impact is going to be far wider reaching.

Truly shocking. Thankfully the resulting tsunami crossing the Pacific right now is nowhere near as bad as first estimated but I still fear for those in smaller, low lying communities particularly in less well off areas.

Truly shocking. Thankfully the resulting tsunami crossing the Pacific right now is nowhere near as bad as first estimated but I still fear for those in smaller, low lying communities particularly in less well off areas.

Apparently it was -4 to +0.5 meters at Midway. The scale is just unbelievable.

I know this is nothing in the grand scheme of things but I have a business trip to Hawaii in June, and the hotel i'm booked into is due to be flooded in 7 minutes!

Here's a footage of the massive Fireball, after the Oil refinery exploded.

Anyone know if KaJuN is still in Okinawa? It's such a tiny place to be hit with a Tsunami, I hope he and everyone else there is OK. :(

The power of the water is incredible, watch it bend some metal steps in this video:

[video=youtube;-DSSssHxm4Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSSssHxm4Y[/video]

MOG just about covers it.

Crazy stuff. I'm going to bed soon, will post tomorrow about it but I did see the building on fire in Odaiba cos it's near where I live, wasn't as bad as it looked from the smoke, the building was still under construction.

The trains shutting down have left my wife and daughter stranded, they're trying to get home by taxi and I spent over 4 hours in the car trying to reach them only to get less than 3km!

Her family live in one of the worse affected areas but hopefully far enough from the coast to be safe, don't know yet cos the phones don't work.

The convenience store downstairs has been cleaned out. There were hundreds of people walking home. It's like something out of a movie.

Tsunamis are f'n nuts. I was watching some footage of some ships in a harbour and the water was becoming turbulent, a guy had pulled up in his car to take a look when they cut back to the studio. A minute later they went back and the water had crept over the wharf, the guy was in his car and pulling away just in time for the wave to hit the side of it, a few seconds later and the whole wharf was a metre under water, a few more seconds and the whole town was under water 1 storey high. I doubt that guy escaped.

fire01.jpg

fire02.jpg

I'm speechless.

Glad to know you're safe. Hope your wife and daughter get home safely and that her family is OK.

Thanks. Still waiting for them. Not looking forward to hearing how much the taxi cost!

I was in the car driving home and was on a small bridge when I felt the car shaking. Sometimes the bridges shake when trucks go over them but this was getting ridiculous, I was looking around expecting people to be rocking my car. But that wasn't the main quake. The lights changed and I moved, that's when it hit with ful force and I was getting seriously rocked around in the car, looking up at buildings swinging expecting them to fall. All the traffic stopped, people were flooding out onto the streets, it seemed to go for a really long time.

And I was just about to cross Rainbow bridge, which I did, not knowing what to expect. It was sill in one piece, thankfully.

The aftershocks kept coming for hours. It's weird driving and thinking, why am I weaving? Oh, shit, the ground is moving!

We live in a 2 year old, earthquake-proof building and there is some "rubble" in the lobby and stairwell, some cracks in the walls but it seems OK. Just no gas. Amazing how well Tokyo held up. It's the older buildings that are the worry.

Last edited:
Good to hear that you and your family are ok!

My thoughts go out for those affected by this

Hans, I was checking the USGS website and in the 4 hours after the main quake there were at least 3 dozen aftershocks and they are expected to continue for some time. Scary stuff.

Yeah I've been feeling them. Not really a danger for me, just unsettling. They could be a problem for rescue workers though.

Still waiting on the missus and minor. Can't sleep till they get home.

Glad to hear our forum members on the affected area are OK.
Keep us posted!

I don't even know what to say, this is one huge event. And these catastrophes seem to come more and more often. My thought are with all the people that are affected by this. Also, nice to hear about the members that checked in, Kajun and hansvonaxion.

Glad to see you are OK hans... same with Kajun but I know we have more japanese members than just you two. Maybe someone should edit the title and add "Japanese members post in here so we know you are OK" or something

I don't even know what to say, this is one huge event. And these catastrophes seem to come more and more often.

Yeah and I was just thinking how long it would take people to connect that with the year 2012 and the supposed end of the world :rolleyes: Also waiting for the first eco-mentalist to say, that this also is probably a result of global warming...

Anyway, I posted my thoughts about this terrible disaster in the other thread in the "Off Topic" section, since I don't think this has any political issue.

And good to know you are okay, Hans.

I posted my thoughts about this terrible disaster in the other thread in the "Off Topic" section, since I don't think this has any political issue.
Your comment in the OT thread was probably more political than anything written in this one, because the use of nuclear power and its consequences are very political.

Yeah and I was just thinking how long it would take people to connect that with the year 2012 and the supposed end of the world :rolleyes: Also waiting for the first eco-mentalist to say, that this also is probably a result of global warming...

I actually gave some of my "friends" on facebook a public bollocking about that, saying how it's the sign of impending end of days. I think they're media persuaded idiots. I don't think they realise that natural disasters like this happen all the time at random points and have done since well, whenever. It's only more profound now because of how well connected everyone is and because of that; I don't think people should be pessimistic and selfish in regards to some over hyped hoaxes. I mean when you think about it, back in the days before internet and even television, we wouldn't have known about things like this happening instantly like we do now. And even before then when people couldn't travel the world like we do now, we probably wouldn't have known at all.

Seeing as we do have the meansnow in which we can help whether it be trying to locate someone via Embassy set up hotlines or finding numbers for people to contact, or even donating money to charities who can provide physical help then I think that is the most important thing.