US of A Presidential Elections 2012

What is the delegate count? I am a bit baffled by this whole process, but omitting the delegates seems like missing the most important thing.

His current delegate count is 92 (out of a possible 1144 needed to win), but that is misleading because if he gets enough then he can force a 2nd round of voting at the RNC convention. A lot of states only require their delegates to vote in favour of that particular primary's winner in the first round, which means several hundred delegates who should have voted for Romney or one of the candidates who have dropped out could switch to Paul, which will force a 3rd round and so it continues until either of them has 1144 or somebody else jumps in at the last moment and sweeps everything.

What is the delegate count? I am a bit baffled by this whole process, but omitting the delegates seems like missing the most important thing.

That's almost impossible to answer right now. While delegates can say publicly who they will vote for, there is no official record taken of these unbound delegates until the convention. The official count, that the media reports, is 94 for Paul, but estimates put him around if not above 200.

What is most unfortunate about this situation is that Romney is the only guy getting media attention, so he will dominate the votes in the remaining primaries, which could be enough to officially name him the nominee before the convention. If Paul was getting the media attention he deserves (based on his delegate performance so far), he could give Romney a run for his money.

Obama just came out in support of gay marriage.

This is going to force Romney to lean so far right he will fall over.

*THUMP*

On the other hand it is still a little too early for this. Eventually gay marriage will be legal in most states because the old people who are against it will die.

http://trainwreckpolitics.com/2008/...538-black-voters-are-not-to-blame-for-prop-8/

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2008/11/prop-8-myths.html

Voters over 65 went for prop 8 by a big margin and those people vote but they won't be here forever. As younger voters start to replace them then the outcome will change.

I just do not think four years is long enough for this to happen and there are some states, mainly the deep south, that I know it is not long enough.

It could be a problem for Obama with some right leaning moderates.

Oh my...look what we have here:

Romney: "I'm consistent on gay marriage"

"I have the same view on marriage that I had when I was governor,? Romney said. ?I believe marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman."

He added, ?This is a very tender and sensitive topic, as are many social issues, but I have the same view that I?ve had since running for office.?

And then this popped up:

562248_399984370041547_205787026127950_1135481_413138068_n.jpg

But who knows...this might be a totally different Mitt Romney we're talking about ;)

Will the real Mitt Romney please stand up? :p

The media talk as if the GOP nomination is over, but it actually isn't. It seems like every day, a new story comes out about Paul winning more delegates in states previously declared done, due to non-binding delegates.

A map showing who has won what states (that is, who has the highest delegate count in the state).
156272_383451838363064_100000947533821_999518_210536887_n.jpg

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2012/05/09/real-gop-delegate-map-media-show-131241/

I hate how I have been seeing Michigans Upper Peninsula left blank or colored the same as Wisconsin lately.

Last edited:
But who knows...this might be a totally different Mitt Romney we're talking about ;)

I think Romney is moderate at heart, right now he is trying to win the nut job vote. If elected I don't see much of a difference between him and Obama.

I'd like to see Paul nominated just so the U.S. can have a dove in the presidential debate for once. Though with so many "easy" wars I don't think the public cares.

I'd like to see Paul nominated just so the U.S. can have a dove in the presidential debate for once. Though with so many "easy" wars I don't think the public cares.

I want to see Paul nominated for one more reason. So that the public wakes up and points the finger at the media who so utterly misrepresented and ignored his campaign. We all know you can't always trust the media, but this will be on the much massive level of "HOLY SHIT, WHERE DID HE COME FROM AND HOW DID WE NOT HEAR ABOUT HIS SUCCESS SO FAR?"

This is not the only time the media has done this. Remember Kucinich? The only thing the media wanted to know about him was how he got the hot wife. He was a far better candidate than Obama, but the media fixated on Obama and Clinton for obvious reasons.

I'm already tired of the reaction to Obama coming out (no pun intended) in favor of gay marriage. Big fucking deal, it's a position he should have had in 2008. His support now doesn't have much impact, because it will still largely be left up to states. Gays that are married in states which it's legal to do so I guess could benefit on a federal level (taxes and other stuff). Is the federal government prepared to challenge bans on same-sex marriages? Will the Defense of Marriage act be repealed?

Be careful what he supports. He seemed to support medical marijuana in 2007 too, but he has allowed the DEA/DOJ to increase their attacks on legal suppliers. At the same time, heroin use has increased greatly.

I'm already tired of the reaction to Obama coming out (no pun intended) in favor of gay marriage. Big fucking deal, it's a position he should have had in 2008. His support now doesn't have much impact, because it will still largely be left up to states. Gays that are married in states which it's legal to do so I guess could benefit on a federal level (taxes and other stuff). Is the federal government prepared to challenge bans on same-sex marriages? Will the Defense of Marriage act be repealed?

This. He's already said that he believes its up to the states to decide, which makes this semi pointless and almost feels a bit like pandering to gain votes.

We all know that states and constituents always vote for their best interests...always. /sarcasm

Imagine the additional income that small businesses who are often called upon for wedding services could generate, ironic that people forget about this little economic boost when they need to ensure others dont get to do what they feel they're entitled to.

lol @ north carolina's tourism twitter, facebook, and hotline. they've been flooded with calls and posts vowing to not travel there.

No other canadate is terribly appealing. No offence to Ron Paul fans but he's not giving me the warm and fuzzys either. I like Obama, he's charismatic, and very well-spoken...if only our broken govt. could somehow work toward a common goal.

then again, one person's good idea is another's bad...so who knows.

Last edited:

There are several legal challenges coming up soon which could force the the hand of the fed towards national legalisation on equal rights grounds. Its almost an analogue of the run up to the legalisation of interracial marriage and the end of segregation.

Well, it is.

Person a has NO right to tell person b or c that they can't initiate a legal contract. NO RIGHT.

As long as both person b and c is mentally sound and above the age of consent, person a should leave it the fuck alone. Period.

That's almost impossible to answer right now. While delegates can say publicly who they will vote for, there is no official record taken of these unbound delegates until the convention. The official count, that the media reports, is 94 for Paul, but estimates put him around if not above 200.

What is most unfortunate about this situation is that Romney is the only guy getting media attention, so he will dominate the votes in the remaining primaries, which could be enough to officially name him the nominee before the convention. If Paul was getting the media attention he deserves (based on his delegate performance so far), he could give Romney a run for his money.

Ron Paul always gets 10% or so and has been running long enough that the media knows this. Besides while he has some ideas that appeal to almost everyone once you dig a little deeper you see he is insane on a lot of other issues (gold standard for example) or completely unrealistic (isolationist stance).

I've said for the last six months that Ron Paul has his voter base, who's pretty much devoted to him and his cause, but they've never been larger than 10-20 % of the GOP voting base. Seriously, he's as unelectable on a GOP ticket as Rahm Emanuel. Pretty close anyway.

Ron Paul always gets 10% or so and has been running long enough that the media knows this. Besides while he has some ideas that appeal to almost everyone once you dig a little deeper you see he is insane on a lot of other issues (gold standard for example) or completely unrealistic (isolationist stance).

Oh he absolutely has nutjob stances. But he has an amazing ability to attract people to his side, probably because of how upfront and direct he is. You get an extremely stark contrast when you put him next to Romney, and a lot of people would like that.

He's also the only real "conservative" running for president this year.

I've said for the last six months that Ron Paul has his voter base, who's pretty much devoted to him and his cause, but they've never been larger than 10-20 % of the GOP voting base. Seriously, he's as unelectable on a GOP ticket as Rahm Emanuel. Pretty close anyway.

His strength lies in being able to attract voters from more than one voting bloc. He can attract Republicans, Democrats, and Independents in relatively large swaths. I don't think he'd ever have a chance at winning a presidential election, but I'd be willing to be that if he ran as a third party, he could get record setting vote counts for a third party.

My favorite part about his campaign is demonstrating how messed up the GOP has become.

Last edited:
Big up Obama on Gay marrage. Now that may be considered brave in such a christian country. But it is the fair thing to do I think.

Ron Paul is a time bomb for Romney, he's going to get pulled to the right at the convention at which point Obama will swoop back into the center having strengthened the left.

What is the Right now? Is it more traditional conservatives like Paul or the NeoCons (who's origin is that of liberals dissatisfied with L.B.J's "Great Society").

That's going to be the problem, Ron Paul is going to open the whole 'what is a republican' can of worms.