2016 USA Presidential Elections

That has to be the first thing I agree on with Trump. Spectre already put up quite the extensive explanation as to what the F35 program is so I won't go into that again but from the get go it was a stupid concept. Design a frame which could act as a fighter, bomber, close air support...? It's like trying to design a chassis which then will be used for a car, a pick up truck, and a supercar, expecting it to perform well in all tasks.
Costs spiraling out of control, test pilots saying the plane is simply worse than 30 year old models such as the F-16, all the while a bunch of allied NATO countries ordering them by the thousands like it will be something good, forsaking much better choices.

Not sure if they don't cancel it out of a feeling of pride (being wrong), too deep into it to pull out now, or plain and simple corruption by governments and defense contractors.

Did you guys hear about how they got into Podesta's email?

Apparently he received a classic phishing scam email telling him his account was compromised and to change it. The email raised suspicion so was sent to a tech....the tech responded it was "a legitimate email" and instructed them to change the password. So the person changed the password via the email....apparently it was a typo and the tech meant to say "illegitimate"......jeez, not sure what tech guys Clinton hired...they really did her in with this and the server

Apparently he received a classic phishing scam email telling him his account was compromised and to change it. The email raised suspicion so was sent to a tech....the tech responded it was "a legitimate email" and instructed them to change the password. So the person changed the password via the email....apparently it was a typo and the tech meant to say "illegitimate"......jeez, not sure what tech guys Clinton hired...they really did her in with this and the server

ugh. Proves a point that users (including shitty low level IT staff) will remain the weakest link in IT security. It's not necessarily their fault if they haven't been educated though.

Sounds like some of the IT guys at my workplace. Some are the epitome of excellent support, others...my coworker's computer went down 2 weeks ago and he's still using a spare while waiting for his replacement.

Apparently he received a classic phishing scam email telling him his account was compromised and to change it.

Most often that's what happens behind "hacking", yes. Not an outlier, but the norm.

CA Gov. Jerry Brown's Fuck You to the future Trump Admin.:

SacBee said:
Gov. Jerry Brown, rallying a room of scientists Wednesday with his most heated rhetoric yet on the topic, suggested California would defy the federal government should President-elect Donald Trump impede the state?s efforts to thwart climate change.

?We?ve got the scientists, we?ve got the lawyers and we?re ready to fight. We?re ready to defend,? he said to boisterous applause at the American Geophysical Union conference in San Francisco.

Brown struck a more forceful tone than he has since the election, suggesting the energy and enthusiasm in the room for him would be needed in the ?battles ahead.?

?Keep it up,? Brown implored the gathering. ?Don?t flag. We?ve got a lot of work to do.?

At one point, Brown warned against proposed budget cuts under the new presidential administration that could effectively eliminate earth-observing satellite programs.

He reminded the scientists that he earned his nickname, Governor Moonbeam, in his first governorship for proposing that the state launch its own communications satellite, and even had an ex-astronaut on his payroll as a space adviser. ?I didn?t get that moniker for nothing,? Brown said.

?And, if Trump turns off the satellites, California will launch its own damn satellite,? he added. ?We?re going to collect that data.?

He said if the federal government ?starts messing with? the state?s renowned science facilities, such as Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, ?I am the president of the Board of Regents. I am going to say, ?Keep your hands off. That laboratory is going to pursue good science.? ?

Later, he jabbed at former Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who before becoming Trump?s pick for Energy Department secretary tried to poach jobs from California. ?Rick, I got some news for you,? Brown said. ?California is growing a hell of a lot faster than Texas. And we?ve got more sun than you have oil.?

He lamented the ?post-fact? or ?anti-fact world,? where the dire warnings of climate scientists are dismissed as speculative or even exaggerated, Brown said the ?power of a few? to disrupt the world, from the environment, to nuclear weapons to global financial systems, has never been greater.

Brown reiterated that the threat is ?far more? than one or two politicians ? ?we?re facing Big Oil. We?re facing big financial structures that are at odds with the survivability of our world.? He petitioned the assembled scientists, whom he called ?truth seekers,? to join with attorneys to help California lead the charge.

Brown cast some in the media, including the conservative outlet Breitbart, as ?clowns? for mocking state legislation regulating emissions from dairy cows and landfills as ?cow farts.? Too much of the ephemeral coverage that clogs social media in bursts is ?meaningless news bits? rather than ?real life? and ?real science,? Brown said.

He touted the state?s vehicle emissions standards, later adopted by the federal government, to argue for California?s outsized influence in the global economy.

?A lot of people say, ?What the hell are you doing, Brown? You?re not a country,? ? the governor said, to laughter.

?Well, judged by measures of gross domestic product of over $2.2 trillion, we?re the fifth or sixth economy in the world. And we?ve got a lot of firepower ... And we will persevere. Have no doubt about that.?

?We will set the stage. We?ll set the example,? Brown added. ?And whatever Washington thinks they are doing, California is the future.?

Brown, while establishing shortly after the Nov. 8 election that California would continue to lead on environmental policy, has largely resisted directly confronting Trump, favoring a more cautious approach. On Tuesday in Coronado, Brown said he believed the Republican Party?s bedrock defense of states? rights could shield the state?s climate actions from federal reprisal.

Jack Pitney, a politics professor at Claremont McKenna College, suggested it was Trump?s selection of Perry, who is close with the fossil fuel industry and joins a Cabinet largely at odds with Brown over the environment, that spurred Brown?s heightened aggression.

?I think he?s reading the appointment as a rude gesture toward the state of California,? Pitney said, noting Perry?s job-poaching attempts. ?If you are Jerry Brown, you see the Trump administration as a gusher of oil, which to him is not a good thing.?

Pitney said that had Trump not picked Perry, along with nominating Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson for secretary of state, ?Brown might be taking a somewhat different tone.

?The appointments so far really put him on the other side of the battlefield on energy and climate change,? Pitney said. ?Brown probably looks at these appointments and thinks, it can?t get worse, so we might as well fight back.?

Christopher Cadelago: 916-326-5538, @ccadelago

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article120928688.html#storylink=cpy

2016 USA Presidential Elections

CA Gov. Jerry Brown's Fuck You to the future Trump Admin.:

Unfortunately for Jerry 'Moonbeam' (no, really, that's his nickname) Brown and the state of California, that's not how things work in the US. In fact, two issues that not long ago California was crowing about winning on will be used to bite them in the ass.

1. Obergefell v. Hodges - the 2015 decision of the Supreme Court that forcibly legalized gay marriage in all 50 states has a quiet little sting in the tail for California. The Obergefell decision basically says in part that no, you don't get to ignore laws passed at the state or Federal level because you don't like them. Obergefell is currently being used as justification for a number of lawsuits slowly working their way through the courts at current on concealed pistol carry permits - to wit, if other states have to accept California gay marriage licenses, California must be required to accept other states' concealed carry licenses (which they currently don't.) It can be used against California on all the other things they 'don't want to do' - something that California has just started to realize.

2. The 2012 Arizona v. United States decision on Arizona immigration law. I'll borrow the Wikipedia summary of what the decision said:
An Arizona law providing authority for local law enforcement to enforce immigration law violated the enumerated powers of Congress and is pre-empted by federal statute. Arizona law enforcement may inquire about a resident's legal status during lawful encounters, but may not implement its own immigration rules.

Arizona v. United States, 567 U.S. ___ (2012), was a United States Supreme Court case involving Arizona's S.B. 1070, a state law intended to punish unauthorized immigrants. At issue is whether the law usurps the federal government's authority to regulate immigration laws and enforcement.

California went apeshit nuts when Arizona passed SB1070 and was overjoyed when it was mostly overturned by the Supreme Court. However, the decision basically says in part that Federal law has supremacy in areas where the power has been delegated to the Feds by law (which it has in the areas California is now complaining about Trump potentially acting on) and that it is up to the Feds whether they wish to enforce the law fully (or not, as the problem in Arizona was) not the state. Per the decision, states may not come up with laws extending *or* contravening Federal law in said areas. It is simply not allowed. California celebrated this at the time, but they don't seem to have figured out that this can and will be used against them.

I find it highly amusing that issues such as states' rights and even potential secession over Federal law and Federal law enforcement issues that California was ridiculing and dismissing as crazy and outdated as recently as last month are now suddenly and fervently being embraced by California. It all looks rather different when *your* ox is being gored and the laws are being used against *your* sacred cows instead of someone else's, which California has finally started to realize. No sympathy for them here; I will cheerfully enjoy every single moment of schadenfreude as the very legal mechanisms and machinery California so supported the use of to crush other states' objections to their supported causes are used in turn to crush California and force obedience to the law.

Last edited:
I rejoice in knowing that so many americans enjoy the schadenfreude of seeing the whole of humanity slowly going over the crest of uncontrollable pollution and global warming. Gives a fuzzy feeling inside. That kinda fuzzy feeling that says, hey, rope is not that expensive, and that knot doesn't look too hard to do...

I rejoice in knowing that so many americans enjoy the schadenfreude of seeing the whole of humanity slowly going over the crest of uncontrollable pollution and global warming. Gives a fuzzy feeling inside. That kinda fuzzy feeling that says, hey, rope is not that expensive, and that knot doesn't look too hard to do...

California has also been instrumental in blocking things that actually *would* reduce net pollution and 'global warming' - like nuclear power plants, which many organizations trying to combat pollution and global warming agree are important to the reduction of global warming. California, even before Fukushima, was doing stupid things like shutting down brand new nuclear power plants before they could be used for generation, then wondering why they had an electricity deficit. California demanded totally clean power, then demanded that hydropower dams be disassembled - and wondered why they had an electricity deficit. California interests sued other states' power generation systems for 'polluting' then when they had power shortages demanded that they be sold power from those same 'dirty' sources.

California values just had a whole 8 years to run rampant and they certainly took advantage of it. It would be one thing if CA (and their supporters) had been reasonable about their demands instead of just crushing opposition in the courts and in the government while dismissing others' concerns cavalierly. They didn't, they just ran roughshod over others and that naturally generates a lot of resentment. Now it's their turn, to, ah, 'bake the cake.'

2015-05-19-fitz-b.jpg

Last edited:
I find it highly amusing that issues such as states' rights and even potential secession over Federal law and Federal law enforcement issues that California was ridiculing and dismissing as crazy and outdated as recently as last month are now suddenly and fervently being embraced by California. It all looks rather different when *your* ox is being gored and the laws are being used against *your* sacred cows instead of someone else's, which California has finally started to realize.
Much like Californians now calling for secession. Much like liberals calling for a revolution over Trump's victory. Time to wake up and realize that the icky parts of our Constitution aren't just for "the evil right wingers".

- - - Updated - - -

I mean, overpopulation certainly isn't helping the climate...

Don't worry. Soon with those appointed to Energy and the EPA, we will all be baking.

I remind you that the 'good' current EPA appointee under the Obama Administration is responsible for one of the biggest toxic waste spills in American history - and then the agency didn't warn anyone downstream until AFTER the water turned yellow.

And then they did it again in Georgia.

I'd also point out that I live in what used to be Rick Perry's Texas and despite what people like you are claiming, it still doesn't seem to be a post-industrial polluted wasteland where nothing lives and the sun is never seen from all the pollution.

Last edited:
I remind you that the 'good' current EPA appointee under the Obama Administration is responsible for one of the biggest toxic waste spills in American history - and then the agency didn't warn anyone downstream until AFTER the water turned yellow.

And then they did it again in Georgia.

I'd also point out that I live in what used to be Rick Perry's Texas and despite what people like you are claiming, it still doesn't seem to be a post-industrial polluted wasteland where nothing lives and the sun is never seen from all the pollution.

When did I claim anything like that? People like me? Do yourself a favor and go to Google maps new historic satellite feature and explore. See things like this:

Columbia+Glacier+Retreat.gif

And sit back feeling like nothing is going on, with your favorite paperbag on your head, if you want to.

"It's not a problem if I don't see it" - Spectre, 1941 - 2016, as he suffocated on carbon monoxide.

Last edited:
When did I claim anything like that? People like me? Do yourself a favor and go to Google maps new historic satellite feature and explore. See things like this:

Columbia+Glacier+Retreat.gif

And sit back feeling like nothing is going on, with your favorite paperbag on your head, if you want to.

"It's not a problem if I don't see it" - Spectre, 1941 - 2016, as he suffocated on carbon monoxide.

12 more glaciers that haven?t heard the news about global warming

More on glaciers and ice sheets that are growing, not melting.

Carbon monoxide is directly proven to be a health hazard, but it's not listed as being a driver of global warming. I support the common-sense regulation of carbon monoxide, and generally so does Rick Perry. Carbon dioxide is supposedly the key driver for global warming, yet unless you're in a high concentration atmosphere of it, it's not toxic; plants use it to make oxygen.

Last edited:
A troubling aspect, but I haven't taken the time to look into it, is that many of the land-based glaciers that are retreating are exposing centuries-old rotting plant flesh, which is releasing methane that was previously sequestered, which is a gas that's 25x more potent than C02 in terms of its greenhouse gas effect.

A troubling aspect, but I haven't taken the time to look into it, is that many of the land-based glaciers that are retreating are exposing centuries-old rotting plant flesh, which is releasing methane that was previously sequestered, which is a gas that's 25x more potent than C02 in terms of its greenhouse gas effect.

Additionally, glaciers are pretty good at reflecting sunlight... bouncing some energy back into the universe that now gets soaked up by the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Cherrypicking a few glaciers that happen to maybe not shrink isn't going to change the overall trend :no:

California has also been instrumental in blocking things that actually *would* reduce net pollution and 'global warming' - like nuclear power plants, which many organizations trying to combat pollution and global warming agree are important to the reduction of global warming. California, even before Fukushima, was doing stupid things like shutting down brand new nuclear power plants before they could be used for generation, then wondering why they had an electricity deficit. California demanded totally clean power, then demanded that hydropower dams be disassembled - and wondered why they had an electricity deficit. California interests sued other states' power generation systems for 'polluting' then when they had power shortages demanded that they be sold power from those same 'dirty' sources.

I blame that more on NIMBYs than anything. The only thing I hope Trump does in regards to Nuclear Energy is tell Harry Reid to eat shit and open Yucca Mountain.

CA's energy generation policy is crap, I have no arguments there. However, I do agree with their general approach to other items like the banning of plastic bags and food containers.

Unfortunately for Jerry 'Moonbeam' (no, really, that's his nickname) Brown and the state of California, that's not how things work in the US. In fact, two issues that not long ago California was crowing about winning on will be used to bite them in the ass.

1. Obergefell v. Hodges - the 2015 decision of the Supreme Court that forcibly legalized gay marriage in all 50 states has a quiet little sting in the tail for California. The Obergefell decision basically says in part that no, you don't get to ignore laws passed at the state or Federal level because you don't like them. Obergefell is currently being used as justification for a number of lawsuits slowly working their way through the courts at current on concealed pistol carry permits - to wit, if other states have to accept California gay marriage licenses, California must be required to accept other states' concealed carry licenses (which they currently don't.) It can be used against California on all the other things they 'don't want to do' - something that California has just started to realize.

2. The 2012 Arizona v. United States decision on Arizona immigration law. I'll borrow the Wikipedia summary of what the decision said:

California went apeshit nuts when Arizona passed SB1070 and was overjoyed when it was mostly overturned by the Supreme Court. However, the decision basically says in part that Federal law has supremacy in areas where the power has been delegated to the Feds by law (which it has in the areas California is now complaining about Trump potentially acting on) and that it is up to the Feds whether they wish to enforce the law fully (or not, as the problem in Arizona was) not the state. Per the decision, states may not come up with laws extending *or* contravening Federal law in said areas. It is simply not allowed. California celebrated this at the time, but they don't seem to have figured out that this can and will be used against them.

I find it highly amusing that issues such as states' rights and even potential secession over Federal law and Federal law enforcement issues that California was ridiculing and dismissing as crazy and outdated as recently as last month are now suddenly and fervently being embraced by California. It all looks rather different when *your* ox is being gored and the laws are being used against *your* sacred cows instead of someone else's, which California has finally started to realize. No sympathy for them here; I will cheerfully enjoy every single moment of schadenfreude as the very legal mechanisms and machinery California so supported the use of to crush other states' objections to their supported causes are used in turn to crush California and force obedience to the law.

I don't think your comparisons are apt because you are talking about legal matters. Unless the Trump administration makes climate change research illegal, there is nothing to stop individual states and organizations to use their own funds (not federal funds) to conduct such research.

And since you brought up immigration, I wanted to address a concern brought up a few pages ago regarding sanctuary cities and sanctuary campuses. Those are not illegal, in fact they are extralegal. Being a sanctuary city does not mean that they will interfere and prevent federal officials (ICE) from conducting their job, it just means they won't help. They are not legally required to help. Immigration issues are under federal jurisdiction. Section 287(g) of the 1996 Immigration Act established that state and local law enforcement may voluntarily help enforce federal immigration law, but that it us up the individual state or locality. Unless immigration law is changed in a way that requires local and state agencies to report unlawfully present immigrants to ICE (the 2006 bill tried to do that and it failed), it is not illegal to declare that you are a sanctuary city. The term has no legal meaning, and no legal impact. What it does is give a sense of safety to people that they can count on local law enforcement to protect them (for example, a burglar breaks into an undocumented family's home - they should not be afraid to call 911 and report the attacker just because they are afraid of their immigration status. They are not the criminal in this situation.)